Want to build a competition pulling truck

tree98

Was at a tractor pull/threshing bee today and saw a V8 Superliner absolutely shame a pair of Petes. Had headers and was obviously cranked up a bit, but still quite streetable- It was driven to the pull and home and is owned by a local excavating company. Dragged the sled over 300 feet and probably could have gone farther, but there was a lake in the way. Petes were absolute junk- One kept overheating and shut down in the middle of his first pull, the other one was so overfueled that it was blowing inch sized chunks of carbon out the exhaust!

How much HP could I get out of an E9 without spending $100K. I would be in the street licensed class. 

To go to a street pull and have fun, take a stock E9 and try it for a season before you go all in.

To make 1200-1500hp is not that hard to do with an E9. If you are planning on working the truck and pulling on the weekend is not a safe bet. It is like having a race care you drive on the street, there are many issues, some being emissions, insurance, reliability, DOT, to name a few. I have an  E9 Superliner puller with 1500hp at the crank and over 1150hp at the wheels and know what I am talking about. In puller form it will not pull a loaded trailer without issues. If you want to give me $100K you can have it, there is over that in it... Even a "stock  street" class is far from stock these days.

The point is that there is much more that needs to be upgraded to handle the over stock torque and HP. The pulling rules have changed over the years not to mention the safety for yourself and the spectators. billet flywheel and clutch, trans blankets, drive shaft loops, etc all need to be in place to compete at an elevated level. It all cost a lot of money and even more to maintain it. The knowledge is not easy to come by to get everything to work right and other pullers are not going to tell you all the TRICKS. 

If you are serious about a puller talk to Dale Francis (Francis Engineering) out in Painsville, he is close to you in northeast Ohio. Dale has been building E9's and KTA's for years and has the parts and knowledge to get anything to really run good. He and Dick Bonner run the Mackimus Prime Superliners. He can get an engine together for you, HP and price have no limit at his place.  Just don't waste his time and try picking his brain, if you do you will see what I mean.   

To go to a street pull and have fun, take a stock E9 and try it for a season before you go all in.

To make 1200-1500hp is not that hard to do with an E9. If you are planning on working the truck and pulling on the weekend is not a safe bet. It is like having a race care you drive on the street, there are many issues, some being emissions, insurance, reliability, DOT, to name a few. I have an  E9 Superliner puller with 1500hp at the crank and over 1150hp at the wheels and know what I am talking about. In puller form it will not pull a loaded trailer without issues. If you want to give me $100K you can have it, there is over that in it... Even a "stock  street" class is far from stock these days.

The point is that there is much more that needs to be upgraded to handle the over stock torque and HP. The pulling rules have changed over the years not to mention the safety for yourself and the spectators. billet flywheel and clutch, trans blankets, drive shaft loops, etc all need to be in place to compete at an elevated level. It all cost a lot of money and even more to maintain it. The knowledge is not easy to come by to get everything to work right and other pullers are not going to tell you all the TRICKS. 

If you are serious about a puller talk to Dale Francis (Francis Engineering) out in Painsville, he is close to you in northeast Ohio. Dale has been building E9's and KTA's for years and has the parts and knowledge to get anything to really run good. He and Dick Bonner run the Mackimus Prime Superliners. He can get an engine together for you, HP and price have no limit at his place.  Just don't waste his time and try picking his brain, if you do you will see what I mean.   

The truck would be strictly for pulling, no need to work it every day. I believe you about information being hard to get. I think that's gonna be my biggest hurdle. 

Sell it to someone who will restore it....there are lots of other trucks to modify and possibly damage. That build of trucks is too rare to risk it. Buy another fixer upper with that money. You will be way ahead of where you are startibg now with a unique find like that.

Edited by bbigrig

Sell it to someone who will restore it....there are lots of other trucks to modify and possibly damage. That build of trucks is too rare to risk it. Buy another fixer upper with that money. You will be way ahead of where you are startibg now with a unique find like that.

They only made 64 of them. What would you estimate it would be worth in running condition, but needing some work. Also has a salvage title.

They only made 64 of them. What would you estimate it would be worth in running condition, but needing some work. Also has a salvage title.

That's a tough one...would have to see some pictures and dig into why it's branded salvage. There are lots of guys on here that would restore that truck if it's a worthy candidate for show.  Can't let that one get wrecked.

Do you have any pics of the truck that you can post? (Hint hint hint) 😁

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

That's a tough one...would have to see some pictures and dig into why it's branded salvage. There are lots of guys on here that would restore that truck if it's a worthy candidate for show.  Can't let that one get wrecked.

I'll get some pics up soon. The salvage title is because it was an abandoned vehicle and was towed away and impounded. The owner was notified and didn't want to pay the tow bill and storage so we filed for a new title through the state. They won't give you a clean title for it without DOT inspection, I don't want to put the time and money into making it legal because DOT are assholes around here and probably wouldn't pass it no matter what just because of its age. It's not a bad truck at all, definitely a candidate for restoration in my opinion.

Edited by tree98

My suggestion is pull in the street class. Get a set of one over injectors (.013), borg warner s480 charger, and turn fuel up on pump and get the big governor spring for the v pump which should give you around 2,700 rpms, a fass supply pump, and the big lipe clutch.  You go any further than that hp wise the money will go up A LOT, trust me lol.  Also make sure your air-to-air charger has no leaks in it.

I'll get some pics up soon. The salvage title is because it was an abandoned vehicle and was towed away and impounded. The owner was notified and didn't want to pay the tow bill and storage so we filed for a new title through the state. They won't give you a clean title for it without DOT inspection, I don't want to put the time and money into making it legal because DOT are assholes around here and probably wouldn't pass it no matter what just because of its age. It's not a bad truck at all, definitely a candidate for restoration in my opinion.

Post some pictures. I'm sure you will get some guys private messaging making you offers after that.  You can decide from there.

My suggestion is pull in the street class. Get a set of one over injectors (.013), borg warner s480 charger, and turn fuel up on pump and get the big governor spring for the v pump which should give you around 2,700 rpms, a fass supply pump, and the big lipe clutch.  You go any further than that hp wise the money will go up A LOT, trust me lol.  Also make sure your air-to-air charger has no leaks in it.

Thanks for that info. That's a start

• 1 month later...