Old dogs I found in the scrap yard

Detroit Diesel competed with Cummins for the biggest class 8 market share during the 60s and 70s, and probably shipped over a million 2 stroke truck engines total. How many collectors are in the market for a 2 stroke Detroit? Maybe a thousand. Given how slowly old trucks seem to move from the groves and back lots to the recyclers, there are more than enough 2 stroke Detroits around to overflow the shops and yards of every collector.

And if I wanted a 2 stroke Detroit, I'd prefer it in a matching GM product like an Astro or General!

• Like 1

i ran a 79 brockway 761 with a 8V92 detroit and 13 speed pulling a low boy trailer all over the east coast in the 80's. we also had a 1970 Diamond Reo tandem tractor with the 8V71 13 speed combo that was hooked to the dump trailer. 

2 terex TS36 scrapper pans with 12V71 front and 8V71 rear power. 

a terex dozer with 671 power, a poclain excavater with 12V71 detroit power, and 2 275 michigan loaders with 12V71's detroits. 

when the bossman died in 91 his son sold all the old detroit powered machines for enough money to replace most of them with new cat machines. he traded the two tractors for a 79 V8 superliner that came with a new 350 six cylinder and an 18 speed trans to replace the tired V8. 

i really wish i still had that Brockway, it was a beast. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

Even in it's hayday when fuel was cheap, the Detroit 2 stroke sold mostly because it and it's parts were cheap. Today a 2 stroke Detroit is thoroughly obsolete.

https://arb.ca.gov/ports/marinevess/harborcraft/documents/alttechccts102610.pdf

Don Fairchild is the guru of bus 2 strokes and came up with this kit for marine engines which has caused a resurgence in their use as coastal communities and harbours clamped down on fish boats with 2 strokes...

I like them so much I have four..!!!  piece of cake to work on

BC Mack

Only thing I have to say is the 8v71 was an awesome prime mover in many pieces of Fire Apparatus (excluding MACKs) back in the 70’s -- 80’s during my FD days.  I loved operating them over the few Cummins the County had which would barely get out of their own way on takeoff  but they did perform great on the open road once you got them going. I feel while operating in an urban setting with many stop signs and traffic light the Detroit's were best back in the day.

somebody really needs to step up and buy that R773, it looks complete and pretty much unmolested,looks to be in decent shape,too,and it's such an early one,serial # 1007.I sure wish things were different here,makes me sick I can't even think of buying it,I've been wanting a Detroit powered Mack forever.

Celli  Trucking  Co (Chicago  area) ran several  R773's. None exist today  (as far as I know). Pal's Cartage,Gretna,Edmier, and several  other Chicago  based outfits  ran them  back in the day. Like Superdog  said, the low serial  number and the fact that it looks pretty  much  intact is reason for saving that truck. True it may  not  be  the  most  desirable  R-700 in existence,but certainly  one of  the  most  rarest  of the breed anymore (next to Mikes  903 powered R-700). As for the "who wants one"banter, you sound  like a modern day truck salesman! Al Rhino...............Good  Day!

• Like 2

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA