kscarbel2

Charlottesville

41chevy    7,614

Emil Rahm was on CNN this morning talking about the removal of the George Washington statue as well as that of President Andrew Jackson at the request by Bishop Dukes. BLM  has also joined in and vowed daily protests until the statues are removed and the parks renamed. 

We as Chicagoans must now take the microscope and place it on the statues, monuments and parks that we give honor to," Bishop Dukes wrote in a letter to Emanuel. "We cannot allow slavery and racism to be awarded in our communities by honoring individuals that indeed partook in the very institution that has kidnapped, murdered, raped, and terrorized our forefather and mothers."

"Therefore, I call on the immediate removal of President George Washington and President Andrew Jackson names from the parks located on the southeast side of Chicago," Dukes added. "They should not have the distinct honor of being held as heroes when they actively participated in the slave trade. I fully expect that the Chicago Park District and Mayor Rahm Emanuel share in my sentiments and views; that Chicago will not be a place that embraces racism, slavery and its treacherous tentacles. But rather, Chicago will be a beacon of hope for a better tomorrow for all its’ residents."

According to CBS Chicago, Dukes stated:

“When I see that, I see a person who fought for the liberties, and I see people that fought for the justice and freedom of white America, because at that moment, we were still chattel slavery, and was three-fifths of humans,” he said. “Some people out here ask me, say ‘Well, you know, he taught his slaves to read.’ That’s almost sad; the equivalent of someone who kidnaps you, that you gave them something to eat.”

Thomas Jefferson who was singled out as offensive by Al Sharpton and NYC Mayor Blasio. NY Democratics , ACLU, members of the Council on American Islamic Relations and other National groups have joined the anti  slavery memorial removals. The Mayor of NYC quoted Leslie Odom of the show Hamilton as being right on the majority of the publics view of the memorials and statues to slave owner and confederates, no matter who they are. 

Actor Leslie Odom Jr. says public statues should be erected to " “inspire us,” to “teach us,” and to “give us hope,” but if they no longer do so, communities can decide that they don’t want them anymore — even when it comes to statues of America’s Founding Fathers. If we decide as a community that this bronze commemoration is no longer doing that, if it’s no longer inspiring us, if it’s no longer making us feel great about ourselves, they come down for a while, or forever,” he said. 

"You can reexamine things in the future, but if a statue has to come down for a minute, we’re allowed to do that,” Odom added.

“We’re even allowed to do that Thomas Jefferson and George Washington,” he added. “We’re allowed to. They’re not off the table for discussion."

TeamsterGrrrl    476

The sad truth is that several of our founding fathers took advantage of slavery, and in weighting their accomplishments that horrible sin must be subtracted.

TeamsterGrrrl    476

Hard to honestly complain when those confederate statues were taken to safety on a Mack truck!

• Like 1

HeavyGunner    1,419

The sad truth is that several of our founding fathers took advantage of slavery, and in weighting their accomplishments that horrible sin must be subtracted.

You're such a hypocrite. If you believe so strongly that past sins of others is what you condemn people with currently aren't you stereotyping? Your against that right? We already know from other posts that your not 100% American Indian so if you believe so strongly in condemning all immigrants because of the past shouldn't you lead by example and leave the country? As usual you are so far out la la land no one takes you seriously and by your post earlier in this thread where you said you wouldn't inroduce your self to other bmt members in person at events tells me that you say things  to people that you wouldn't say to someone in person which is called keyboard muscles or a troll. Why don't you do something productive besides simply spouting off hateful, crappy things while hiding behind a keyboard? 

Edited by HeavyGunner
Spelling

HeavyGunner    1,419

Based on my university history studies, the civil war wasn't just about slavery. The southern aristocracy felt that Washington had grown distant. A "disconnect" had formed between the aristocracy of the north and south (recall it was the aristocracy of 1776 that formed the country). Firmly believing their views were no longer being weighed, the southern states seceded. Now let's bear in mind, from 1776 to 1861, we're only talking 85 years since the country was formed.

Anyway, as Paul would say, it was another time and place, with different attitudes.

I myself take issue with people today who apply year 2017 standards to events that occurred in distant history, and make attempts to cleanse history (ie. vandals destroying a statue of Robert E. Lee).

One can't help but wonder if the vandals now plan to destroy every statue of slave owners Patrick Henry ("Give me liberty or give me death"), Benjamin Franklin, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, James Monroe and Andrew Jackson? 

And then, they need to get all those history books rewritten in the public schools.

*  Had Virginia not split apart, it would easily be the largest state on the east coast.

Careful you be called a bigot among other names by you know who. 

TeamsterGrrrl    476

you said you wouldn't inroduce your self to other bmt members in person at events tells me that you say things  to people that you wouldn't say to someone in person which is called keyboard muscles or a troll. Why don't you do something productive besides simply spouting off hateful, crappy things while hiding behind a keyboard? 

Are you saying I should fear for my safety if I meet some of the BMT members in public?

HeavyGunner    1,419

Nope just repeating what you stated.  Other than you everyone else on here is able to get along, bmt is full of wonderful people from all backgrounds. A person with any self awareness could stop and go hmmm maybe I'm the problem here.  Obviously you don't have the gumption to take your butt chewing your get in public for denouncing vets, and calling everyone a bigot. It doesn't take much of a person to hide behind a keyboard and call names. I've seen many other bmt members show pictures of themselves, even with others they might disagree with politically. You know why? They didn't cower behind their keyboards saying things to each other that they wouldn't in person. Sorry Outbehind who barn, I'll try to quit feeding the troll who always tries to bait people into her silly vortex. 

kscarbel2    2,807

Careful you be called a bigot among other names by you know who. 

Sir, I have read every post from TeamsterGrrl on this thread, and see nothing that supports your accusations.

She speaks knowledgeably and frankly, as do many others.

This is getting old real fast.

This is not the BMT that I love.

If you're going to continue, I no longer want to be a part of it.

HeavyGunner    1,419

This subject is getting a lot of attention. I have to comment on how President Trump is getting the usual liberal BS.    Any time you speak the TRUTH you then are a bigot or a racist.  What the President said about BOTH sides being at fault and having BAD people amongst them, in both groups. That was absolutely correct.  Just look at all the religious civil wars. And even simpler, look at a big football, baseball game or soccer  match. There is a winner and a loser, and a lot of the time the fans ( both sides ) get in a riot and fight.   Some times even the winning teams fans go crazy and start tearing their own city up...        So why is Trump wrong for saying Both sides are at fault??????

Well said bmack. Anytime something truthful is said that doesn't align with the lefties agenda they try and shock and intimidate people out of their opinions by calling them terrible things that they aren't. Look what has happened over the last 5 years or so, the entitled brats who are of voting disagree with you on something and they raise enough trouble on social media that weak, spineless companies are firing people just to appease the entitlelists. 

• Like 1

TeamsterGrrrl    476

That's pretty tasteless- A peaceful protester was murdered with that car by a white supremacist.

The search for things MACK brought most of us to this forum.The people who created BMT in their wisdom chose to have sections that were not Mack related to obviously make the forum more engaging.Today those things that are not truck related have brought the most division here and sadly the insults and all that comes with it are being spearheaded by very senior members of this forum on both side of the divide. Please let us think more of the common things that brought us here rather than the ones that divide us.It is normal to hold opposing  views but some of the things written here are just not worthy of any decent human being.

• Like 1

Mackpro    243

Every American citizen has first amendment rights whether you or I agree with what they are saying or not. While I don't agree with anything the white supremacist/ Nazi people believe, this is still their right to do their march or whatever they were doing and say what they wanted to say, like it or not that's their right just like it would be for me or you. The problem arises when someone tries to stop someone from exercising their first amendment rights.  I don't like cats in my house, so if I get permits and hold a march/rally for "No cats in the house" is it ok for the opposition to show up and throw water bottles of urine at my  group and try to shut us down? Freedom of speech is a right even if you don't like what someone is saying. I despise the white supremacist people but they can have their march one weekend and the opposing group can have their march the next weekend. Problem solved. When you try to shut down one groups beliefs it only makes them stronger. Sorry the girl got killed but if the nazis had their little march and a few hundred people showed up and they did their thing and went home.  No one would even remember it happened . The next weekend the anifta/blm could have their march and all ok. Probably no one would remember it either. I guess some people can't grasp the concept of free speech....

• Like 1

TeamsterGrrrl    476

A menacing mob of people with automatic weapons and murder by car are not free speech.

theakerstwo    630

I am getting ready to ban all of you guys so thats your last warning.

• Like 1