Flat Work    8

I need to choose a CB. While I'll be doing some OTR driving in the future, (both U.S. and Canada) most of my driving will be in state. I pull an end dump, and I'm constantly in gravel pits, and concrete and asphalt plants. Communicating with the dispatchers in these places is a must. The signals in those places can be weak. So if there are any features to help deal with that problem, I would be interested. Weather channels would be nice, but between the Weather Channel app. I have on my phone, and available channels on my Sirius Radio, they're not necessary. I'm not looking to spend hundreds of dollars. Just something effective.

Rockwell    9

I run a stock Cobra 29 LTD with a Wilson 2000 antenna. I tuned it myself, easy and works great!

I paid about $110 for the CB and $57 for the antenna.
For another $40 I did add an external speaker but by no means was it a necessity. 

TeamsterGrrrl    476

Not worth the bother, get a ham license.

Underdog    1,383

Not worth the bother, get a ham license.

That's realistic, just to communicate with the loader in the quarry. 

TeamsterGrrrl    476

Or if we have to take this down to the "lowest common denominator", get a GMRS system.

Hobert62    500

Like others have stated a general cobra or uniden or something along those lines will be fine.   It's more important to have 1 good antenna with your swr's set within spec.    I would also recommend a noise canceling mic.   Just my preference.   

Flat Work    8

Thanks guys and gal!

Yeah, when you pull into a quarry or plant, there's usually a sign at the entrance telling you which channel to use.

Now, as for an antenna, are the short ones any good?  I'm out in the country a lot. My stack smacks the low lying branches sometimes. So I know a long antenna will get banged around a lot.

Actually, now that I think about it, there's a short one on top of the cab already. I don't know anything about it.

tjc transport    385

that is the fm radio antenna. 

a smaller fiberglass whip will work, i prefer o spend the extra money and get a wilson 1000 or 2000 with the steel whip. it is a lot stronger. 

• Like 1

theakerstwo    622

The Cobra 29 LTD with a Wilson 2000 antenna is a good enough radio for any ones needs and it can be taken to a radio shop and be tweeted some.

TeamsterGrrrl    476

Amazing that America persists with obsolete AM CBs on the HF bands- Most of the world has switched to VHF and UHF FM. Is you must have one, buy the cheapest and don't worry about the antenna much- the ground plane is more important.

h67st    163

Sorry to sound stupid, but what's the ground plane?

41chevy    7,424

Sorry to sound stupid, but what's the ground plane?

The vehicle metal ground surface under the antenna. It helps "reflect the signals,  the vehicle roof works best or a direct ground cable to the chassis.. A Dipole CB antenna does not need a ground plane like the No Ground antenna kit from Firestik