Mack Warranty

Ezrider

11 minutes ago, Ezrider said:

i say that because if the bill was 100% on me i would want to try to save the head, if i was on there end of it i would want to see a attempt made to save the head. i think it is reasonable to everyone involved to at least make a attempt. and then go from there. 

and no 245k miles is not new but i see no other reason besides the the failure of the yoke guide that the heads would otherwise need to be replaced at this time. 

But the bill is not 100 percent on you. The bill is zero percent on you.

The bill is 100 percent on the dealer with failed workmanship.

The dealer, and Volvo, have allocations within their budgets to cover the costs of such.......mistakes.

i think its better to make a attempt to extract the stud everyone involved is agree'd to give it a try. so that's what we are going to do, then we will go from there. if they are successful i am no worse off than i was when the truck went down and will save a good bit of time and get me on the road sooner and im ok with that. if they are not successful then we will go from there. i know they checked cyl head availability this morning and one would have to be flown in from the states if we have to replace it. 

we have gotten the oil pan pulled, half the pan bolts were stripped and some were missing, cam and lifter appear to be ok. so a little bit of good news. 

• Like 1

update, they were successful in extracting the broken guide pin this morning they say they will have a tech on my truck most of the day today so they should finally be able to make some substantial headway today.

yesterday they only spent an hour or less on my truck due to being short staffed.

let the guy know who is handling the claim that they were successful in extracting the stud and he asked if they were now able to get a cost estimate together and sent to him. so they are going to do that and then i suppose it will be time to get down to brass tacks. 

• Like 2

they dropped the pan on i think it was  tuesday and inspected the cam and lifter, all is ok there. a bunch of the pan bolts were stripped out and a couple of the bolts had fallen out but we are on the home stretch now, i think he has got most the top end back together now, so we still have pan bolt holes to fix and slap the pan and oil pump back on.

i will find out exactly where we are at quitting time today and if it looks like i can be out of here before noon on friday ill try to see if i can make arrangements for a friday unload (they normally only receive mon-thursday) but if i can get out of here by noon i would have time to go fetch my trailer and make it to my unload destination before 5:30pm

they dropped the pan on i think it was  tuesday and inspected the cam and lifter, all is ok there. a bunch of the pan bolts were stripped out and a couple of the bolts had fallen out but we are on the home stretch now, i think he has got most the top end back together now, so we still have pan bolt holes to fix and slap the pan and oil pump back on.

Image result for impact guns

well quick update, sitting at my unload location now, waiting for the guy to come in just to unload me (witch is awesome of him) truck is running good but the jakes are not working worth a ####. making all the right noises but no holding power what so ever. didn't really notice it bobtail to my trailer but once i got hooked up you could really tell. flat ground at 98k only slows you down like 15mph-20mph in a half mile. at that point i wasn't turning back around. so i guess we will have to cross that bridge yet. otherwise the engine is running smooth with normal power.

jake is weak everywhere in the rpm range no better at high rpm than low, it sounds like its hitting on 5 rather than 6cyl, feels like its hitting on 3 but there is a distinct sound change between the stages, so both solenoids are activating, jake stays in till the ecm kicks it out at 900. oil psi is normal. not sure what could have been done. that would have affected the jake oil flow.

i suppose ill probably pop the valve covers check the top end set and make sure everything looks right this weekend, i can't keep taking downtime for this shit. have lost 3 weeks worth of loads over this valve train in a short time already between the cam job and then this. 

jake was working normal prior to the yoke guide broke. 

Speaking with a great deal of understanding of how North American and global truckmakers work, I once more respectfully suggest, and much more so now, that you call Volvo Group's Mack brand customer satisfaction hotline (U.S. and Canada) at +1 (866) 298-6586 and start working this problem from that angle as well. It would make a huge difference when the dealers involved know that Greensboro is following this.

I myself would have called Mack, and also had a reman head installed at the original repairing dealer's expense.

That Volvo Group's Ontario PDC (parts distribution center) didn't have reman heads in stock for your truck is another red flag.

Speaking with a great deal of understanding of how North American and global truckmakers work, I once more respectfully suggest, and much more so now, that you call Volvo Group's Mack brand customer satisfaction hotline (U.S. and Canada) at +1 (866) 298-6586 and start working this problem from that angle as well. It would make a huge difference when the dealers involved know that Greensboro is following this.

I myself would have called Mack, and also had a reman head installed at the original repairing dealer's expense.

That Volvo Group's Ontario PDC (parts distribution center) didn't have reman heads in stock for your truck is another red flag.

If I were you I will let it go,sometimes experience can be the best Teacher.

• Like 1

It's looking like it's going to come to that. I popped the valve covers today to see if I could see anything obvious for poor Jake prefomance. I did find something quite alarming right away. There was still tons of metal debris left in the engine from drilling out the stud I was pulling it out with my fingers to start with curly Q's 1/4 inch long and lots of smaller Ferris debris I cleaned out with a magnet.

As far as the Jake elecrical continuity is good solinoids are functional. Ran the engine with the valve covers off oil flow to the top end seems normal to what I have seen in the past. The only thing that seemed different that what I have seen before is when manually activating the Jake rather than the oil shooting out the top of the control valves on the top of the Jake housing it's shooting out the two ports closer to the center of the housing on the side facing downward at a angle. I guess I don't remember last time I did that there being much oil coming out there but I remember the oil shooting out the top of the housing from the control valves near the pins.

I didn't check the entire top end lash settings but I checked a few everything I checked was proper.

i do believe the customer satisfaction number will be hearing from me first thing Monday.  what makes this right though i don't know i just want my truck to be right, iv already had a ton of down time this year, 2 weeks plus waiting on a replacement engine and install of said engine does not sound very appealing to me either.

you're probably right that i shouldn't have cleaned it up but its kinda instinct when you see something like that to try to get it all out right away. 

i do believe the customer satisfaction number will be hearing from me first thing Monday.  what makes this right though i don't know i just want my truck to be right, iv already had a ton of down time this year, 2 weeks plus waiting on a replacement engine and install of said engine does not sound very appealing to me either.

you're probably right that i shouldn't have cleaned it up but its kinda instinct when you see something like that to try to get it all out right away. 

You cleaned up the metal shavings ???

Did you photograph the "evidence" beforehand?

honestly a picture would not have really showed much, sitting in the oil in the bottom of the head just looked like a couple small pieces oily grit. the casting texture of the head helped in blend in more as well. it really wasn't till i started cleaning it out that i even realized just how much was there. guessing by how much i pulled out that was still in the top of the head i would imagine there is still a fair bit of evidence that washed down into the oil pan. i should also have the rag i was cleaning my magnet off onto. all the low spots of the casting where the oil tends to collect were just full of magnetic particles. as well as the top of the allen head plugs ect.

i think i defiantly need to phone at this point. i don't even know what to say a big part of me just wants to figure out whats up with the jakes and get on the road, but really to leave all that metal in the head and send it out as a done job is just beyond me. how much of that washed down the push rod tubes and over my new camshaft what kind of long term problems may come of that. how long may it take for them to show themselves if there was any ill effects i dunno. 

well the customer satisfaction number, gives no satisfaction. i called them first this morning, they essentially told me there is nothing they can/will do about it that i just need to handle it personally with the dealers involved.

then called the dealer that left all the metal in my engine and they didn't even try to deny it told me to get it over mack here and we would have to do the process again in reverse this time. Mack here is basically going to pull the pan clean it inspect everything and then go from there. and also diagnose the poor jake performance issue. 

well the customer satisfaction number, gives no satisfaction. i called them first this morning, they essentially told me there is nothing they can/will do about it that i just need to handle it personally with the dealers involved. 

then called the dealer that left all the metal in my engine and they didn't even try to deny it told me to get it over mack here and we would have to do the process again in reverse this time. Mack here is basically going to pull the pan clean it inspect everything and then go from there. and also diagnose the poor jake performance issue. 

Stuff like this can drive people to murder....or worse....a Freightliner! 

The frags are going to be hung in the lifter ports. All oil that leaves the deck goes through a roller lifter oil port before reaching sump. The good news is all lifter ports are usually semi-congested with disintegrating valve rotator spring debris at half life anyway. Perfectly survivable.  I'd pull the tubes, run the lifter up to top travel and fiddle it with a magnet.

• Like 1