1936 Mack Jr

Bradman11

I believe your truck was at Austin Clarke's Long Island Auto Museum in the Hampton's in the early late 1950's-1960's. Mr Clarke had a passion for fire trucks, buses and antique trucks.     Paul

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Hey Paul thanks for that info, I just searched for two hours on the internet trying to find a list of apparatus he had there. Unfortunately I've not been able to find anything relating to that. The only thing that's listed is his donation of a chief's truck to South Hampton.

21 minutes ago, Bradman11 said:

Hey Paul thanks for that info, I just searched for two hours on the internet trying to find a list of apparatus he had there. Unfortunately I've not been able to find anything relating to that. The only thing that's listed is his donation of a chief's truck to South Hampton.

I may be able to get a list from  the man in Glen Head who has all of Mr Clarke's paper work and files. When he died there was an auction at his estate in Brookvilleof over 75 vehicles, but the papers and files went to Mr Berliner III. I'll call him this weekend for you.   Paul

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

The agreement with the Reo Motor Car Company to sell Reo trucks through some of the Mack factory branches during 1935 led to the introduction of Mack Jr. trucks and buses, which were built at the Reo plant in Lansing, Michigan.

The Mack jr. line for 1936 consisted of four basic chassis sizes with capacities from 1/2 to 3 tons.

These trucks were well built, but of lighter construction than regular Mack models and comparatively less expensive.

During 1936, the Mack Jr. models and their rated capacities were designated as:

1M / 1/2 ton

10M / 1-1/2 tons

20M / 1-1/2 to 2 tons

30M / 2 to 3 tons

There was also a "traffic type" [low cab forward cab-over engine] variant of the 30M designated as 30MT.

Reference: Mack, by John B. Montville

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Stock number 3638  Contact them about it. Explain who you represent / are. VIN if you have it would confirm or deny if it is originally from NYS. Paul.

https://hymanltd.com/vehicles/3638-1936-mack-junior-firetruck/

Hyman  LTD

2310 Chaffee Drive, St. Louis, MO 63146
314.524.6000 | 314.692.0380

3638.thumb.jpg.5aefeb8cdedc97fa1eb7e9bb359749d8.jpg

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

3 hours ago, Bradman11 said:

Excellent thank you... looks all different but could be just the refurb. I will contact them on Monday.

81 years things change.   Paul

• Like 2

P.T.CHESHIRE

On 7/27/2017 at 10:49 PM, kscarbel2 said:

The agreement with the Reo Motor Car Company to sell Reo trucks through some of the Mack factory branches during 1935 led to the introduction of Mack Jr. trucks and buses, which were built at the Reo plant in Lansing, Michigan.

The Mack jr. line for 1936 consisted of four basic chassis sizes with capacities from 1/2 to 3 tons.

These trucks were well built, but of lighter construction than regular Mack models and comparatively less expensive.

During 1936, the Mack Jr. models and their rated capacities were designated as:

1M / 1/2 ton

10M / 1-1/2 tons

20M / 1-1/2 to 2 tons

30M / 2 to 3 tons

There was also a "traffic type" [low cab forward cab-over engine] variant of the 30M designated as 30MT.

Reference: Mack, by John B. Montville

learn something new everyday!   terry:D

23 hours ago, Loadstar said:

The windshields on the two trucks are completely different.......the one on the restored truck looks factory and is more integrated.

That's why I suggested a VIN confirmation. With only 2 years production and  4,974 total production of the MACK badged REO units'  MACK records show only 12 or 14 Juniors as firetrucks built  by the MACK plant in L.I. City.

Austin Clarke (  heir to the Jack Frost sugar empire) would of modify and combine vehicles to display and use. When the museum was out of favor with the Town of South Hampton in 1967 A lot was given away to friends and some went to the Henry Ford Museum.The Chiefs car which was a 1941 Cadillac Coupe was given to South Hampton and his 2 NYC Double Decker buses went to Bridge Hampton Race track.  His truck and fire vehicles went to Bill Harrah in Reno in 1978 and some ALFs and Peerless to  Bill Anderson also in Nevada   When he closed the museum for good in 1980 the balance of cars were auctioned off...

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 2 weeks later...

So I made a horrendous mistake when I posted my topic and information.  The mack jr I'm looking for is a 1938 not 36... I went back to check the site and saw my very bad error.  I apologize for anyone that helped me earlier in this post and possibly with this new info maybe open up my horizons to the right truck I'm looking for.  So if we can rewind and if anyone can help I'm looking for our original fire truck a 1938 Mack jr with some pics posted up at the beginning.  Thank you guys so much and again I apologize for my critical error when posting the year.

The year is not that big of a deal since the production run of any given model will run across several years without any significant changes to the produced trucks.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Does anyone know if the mack musuem can do a buyer search.  Being I don't have the vin, can I give them the year and town that purchased the truck new.  Would this be enough information for them to figure out which truck I'm referring too and be able to send the info they have as if I sent them the vin.