8 hours ago, mackey58 said:

Can you still get an overhaul  kit of a EM6 300L. I see for e7 I was wondering 

When you called your local Mack brand dealer, or the good folks at Watt's Mack (provider of the BMT website) at 1-888-304-6225, what did they say?

The superb Mack Australia website lists E6 kits on page 4..........https://www.macktrucks.com.au/-/media/files-au/mack_catalogue_jun_augv1.pdf/?la=en

I see no such information of the US website.

The part numbers for standard size E6 kits from the former Mack Trucks were 215SB196C (E6-2VH) and 215SB197C (E6-4VH), but they might now have Volvo part numbers.

12 minutes ago, mackey58 said:

Yea I called the one in joliet  and the 12 year old parts guy was dumb founded when I asked 

I'm seeing a lot of that, and it's very sad.

I say this proudly and as a matter of fact, the former Mack Trucks had the best parts people in the industry, a highly talented family that worked together, from the PDCs (parts distribution centers) to the distributors and factory-owned branches. We had the sharpest people in the business, and the best parts "system" in the truck industry.

• Like 2

Those old information rich parts numbers often got replaced by stupid meaningless numbers because early computer database systems couldn't handle 10 or so digits and maybe some letters too. Continental Baking's numbering system told you what type of truck or trailer it was, what year, what region it was delivered to, etc.- All a mechanic needed was the truck number and he knew what parts and tools were needed to do the job. Then they got "computerized" and a meaningless number was assigned to each truck.

We had a local shop put a new air compressor and 6 new injectors. I didn't get to drive it cause #1 drivers truck was down  getting new computer  and wiring  harness on the granite. Got in the rd today 2 injectors leak air compressor  leaks oil and for some reason  they bumped the low idle to 750 I'm pissed and so is the boss #1 driver gates that truck says it's too old wtf

4 hours ago, mackey58 said:

Yes, they knew the stuff off the top of their head. I was told that the Mack parts numbers made sense. I was told you could tell engine or cab or drive by the prefix.

I posted this in June, 2015.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The former Allentown-based Mack Trucks for years had the most effective and yet ingeniously simple part numbering system in the global truck industry.

The beginning of the part number (prefix) told you what kind of part it was, with P-number suffixes that told you what variation it was.

Here are just a few examples of the part number prefixes:

1AX - fine thread bolt
4AX - course thread bolt
36AX - lock washer
37AX - flat washer
62GB - engine bearing

631GC - turbocharger
2ME - muffler

4ME - exhaust pipe

47MO - turn signal lamp

1MR - electrical switch
11MR - circuit breaker

3MT - temperature gauge
10QH - tie rod end

2QK - front spring
4QK - rear spring

10 QK - suspension rubber insulator

1QM - hood

301SQ - king pin set

.........and so on.

The "P" suffixes were equally straightforward, continuing the brilliant simplicity of the Mack system.

2QK3378P1 10,500lb front spring

2QK3378P2 12,000lb front spring

An "A", "B" or higher letter between the base part number and the "P" suffix denoted an engineering improvement.

For example, 3MT35AP2.

3MT - temperature gauge

35 - R/U/DM

A - see above

P2 - negative ground or P3 (positive ground)

Because of the brilliant Mack part numbering system, the part numbers were very easy to remember, due to the fact that each part of the number had a logical and clear meaning. This is why veteran Mack parts people, in my humble opinion, were significantly better than their peers in the truck industry.

With literally thousands of Mack part numbers comfortably in their head, veteran Mack parts people were faster than a New York deli.

(Did anyone ever have the nightmare of obtaining parts from a Ford heavy truck dealer?)

But now, Volvo has largely replaced Mack part numbers with Volvo global part numbers, randomly selected part numbers that have no meaning whatsoever.

This is why the handful of veteran Mack parts people still around can no longer quickly assist you. The Volvo parts system, by design, is immensely time consuming. Not to mention the horrible, inconsistent Volvo Group electronic parts catalog for Mack brand trucks.

For Volvo to throw away the staggeringly efficient Mack Trucks parts numbering system, frankly the truck industry's best, and replace it with meaningless Volvo global part numbers so as to meet the demands of their arrogant bureaucracy, is a tragedy for the Mack brand customer. As a Mack veteran, it leaves me totally disgusted.

Even though today's Mack brand truck is for the most part a rebadged Volvo, the Swedish truckmaker would have been better off to adopt Mack's superior part numbering system rather than force their often criticized system upon the former Mack dealers. But then, the culture of arrogance at Volvo prevents them from admitting they are inferior at anything.

• Like 1

Thank you Kscarbel, there are too many on this site that do not get it that there is no Mack Truck. I am glad that at least for now we can get parts for pre-2000 Mack Trucks. We will see how long that lasts.

On 7/28/2017 at 7:07 AM, kscarbel2 said:

I posted this in June, 2015.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The former Allentown-based Mack Trucks for years had the most effective and yet ingeniously simple part numbering system in the global truck industry.

The beginning of the part number (prefix) told you what kind of part it was, with P-number suffixes that told you what variation it was.

Here are just a few examples of the part number prefixes:

1AX - fine thread bolt
4AX - course thread bolt
36AX - lock washer
37AX - flat washer
62GB - engine bearing

631GC - turbocharger
2ME - muffler

4ME - exhaust pipe

47MO - turn signal lamp

1MR - electrical switch
11MR - circuit breaker

3MT - temperature gauge
10QH - tie rod end

2QK - front spring
4QK - rear spring

10 QK - suspension rubber insulator

1QM - hood

301SQ - king pin set

.........and so on.

The "P" suffixes were equally straightforward, continuing the brilliant simplicity of the Mack system.

2QK3378P1 10,500lb front spring

2QK3378P2 12,000lb front spring

An "A", "B" or higher letter between the base part number and the "P" suffix denoted an engineering improvement.

For example, 3MT35AP2.

3MT - temperature gauge

35 - R/U/DM

A - see above

P2 - negative ground or P3 (positive ground)

Because of the brilliant Mack part numbering system, the part numbers were very easy to remember, due to the fact that each part of the number had a logical and clear meaning. This is why veteran Mack parts people, in my humble opinion, were significantly better than their peers in the truck industry.

With literally thousands of Mack part numbers comfortably in their head, veteran Mack parts people were faster than a New York deli.

(Did anyone ever have the nightmare of obtaining parts from a Ford heavy truck dealer?)

But now, Volvo has largely replaced Mack part numbers with Volvo global part numbers, randomly selected part numbers that have no meaning whatsoever.

This is why the handful of veteran Mack parts people still around can no longer quickly assist you. The Volvo parts system, by design, is immensely time consuming. Not to mention the horrible, inconsistent Volvo Group electronic parts catalog for Mack brand trucks.

For Volvo to throw away the staggeringly efficient Mack Trucks parts numbering system, frankly the truck industry's best, and replace it with meaningless Volvo global part numbers so as to meet the demands of their arrogant bureaucracy, is a tragedy for the Mack brand customer. As a Mack veteran, it leaves me totally disgusted.

Even though today's Mack brand truck is for the most part a rebadged Volvo, the Swedish truckmaker would have been better off to adopt Mack's superior part numbering system rather than force their often criticized system upon the former Mack dealers. But then, the culture of arrogance at Volvo prevents them from admitting they are inferior at anything.

Agree with the above. Also the people writing the program for the absolutely useless parts search are true nerds. They have no concept of where parts fit on a truck and what they relate to in the category. This adds to the frustration with the Swedish numbering system! Example, when we go to look for a hood wiring harness for a 2012 GU last week by serial number, unable to find it. Yet when we key in the serial number to a similar truck 2 years older, it's there. No problem! So If you want to search for parts and want do it quickly, go to the PAI site, search by name of part, and boom, it's right there in 2-3 clicks of the mouse button! ( An example  of simplicity) Totally lost by the Swedes. The new backwards part system sucks! And just to add insult to injury, they are hiring people with no skills to save money behind the parts  counter (Not all of the time but for the most part) and give them this crappy parts search to work with! TIME IS MONEY! When I'm in the shop waiting for parts that we can't find, it's not productive for me OR the customer! Or worse yet, I got to stand over the the parts guy to get the RIGHT part for the job because it's not clearly displayed in the system for the poor guy!

My rant of the day!