Extreme Make over time for Mrs Mack

3 hours ago, james j neiweem said:

That rust looks like you may be close to the ocean.

we have for the last few years but used to live nearly 300 miles inland before that and it had bad rust before we shifted near the coast 

Paul

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

I don't trust the part numbers on that RM6866RS break down.

I'd expect the roof to be a 165QS519A.

http://www.wattstruckcenter.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=263&search=roof

Rood vent rubber 25RU354 with 812AXF rubber "key".

http://www.wattstruckcenter.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=144&search=roof

We used to offer the roof vent under two different part numbers, one beige (23QU45P3) and the other silver gray. I imagine Volvo only supplies silver gray now.

http://www.wattstruckcenter.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=222

Rocker panels:

http://www.wattstruckcenter.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=265&search=rocker

http://www.wattstruckcenter.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=266&search=rocker

After providing your Mack dealer with your truck's model and serial number, they should be able to accurately research all the parts you need.

After going thru the Watts pages I relize I need the sills not the rockers 
How did you find the Mack parts number off that page ????

thanks in advance

Paul

G'day Paul. Have you considered a galvanised cab? They usually go for between 3-4g and it will last you a long long time. I could keep an eye out for ya. 

Let me know how you go with the rust if that's the way you decide to go. 

• Like 2

Tim if I could find one at short notice I would 
I have already spent a couple of grand on panels over the last couple of years slowly collecting stuff but would change the whole cab if I found one at the right price
I need to be finished and on the road in under a month as we have sold the farm and I need to shift and do some hwy work 

Paul

• Like 2

wow lotta work......seems easier to change cabs....thier was 2 clean ones around 60 miles from here....but i havent been out there in 15 years dont know if thier even out there anymore....plus shipping all the way out there dont know if you would be saving any money....perhaps a little time...good luck ...bob

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mowerman said:

and then again all the controls are on the left side as well so that would be another issue...bob

Was informed today by a ex Mack Australian man the cab is the same and there was templates they would lay on the cab to drill the holes in the right spot 
And it takes two weeks to do a complete cab change into a new cab drilling the holes etc and mounting all the old in the new and painting 

Paul

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Outbehindthebarn said:

Can't help you with part numbers... but I just wanted to know how it feels to "sell the farm".. and say that you look like a hellavu fun guy. :)

Feels kinda nervous as I have no plans just to get packed and  shift to some where and we dont know were thats gunna be yet ?

Paul

15 minutes ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Tim I wanna sort out this rust issue and start pulling triples to Perth and back LOL

dunno if I would get many loads but what a ride 

Paul

Just pull empty trailer. Once you get them loaded is when you start using fuel!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Was informed today by a ex Mack Australian man the cab is the same and there was templates they would lay on the cab to drill the holes in the right spot 
And it takes two weeks to do a complete cab change into a new cab drilling the holes etc and mounting all the old in the new and painting

Paul

Paul, for the record, the RM cab and yours are not the same. The cowl of the RM is set up for a steel hood, while your cowl is for a fiberglass hood. So when we sold service cabs, two different part numbers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Timmyb said:

Just pull empty trailer. Once you get them loaded is when you start using fuel!

Once I get out to  the higher weight levels and extra trailers the fuel economy rarely drops bellow 4 MPG maybe 3.5 MPG on a real bad day but the speed suffers a big bit
Its not unusual to spend hours grinding along 65 70 km/h for hours on end with big weights and tall trailers, funny enough I rarely get passed by modern trucks with twice the power and similar weight 
that wind coming across at a 45 degree angle knocks the stuffing out of any truck on open country I dont care how much power you have 

Paul 

• Like 2

Sounds like driving across I-80 in Wyoming. I used to stick my hand out the window to see if I was moving. I ran a R-685 Mack 237 5 speed twice a month from Hazleton,Penna. to Seattle,Washington  loaded to 73,000 lbs both ways.Great truck got me out of the hole after I totaled my other truck,this was early 1980's.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Joe Ditchkus said:

Sounds like driving across I-80 in Wyoming. I used to stick my hand out the window to see if I was moving. I ran a R-685 Mack 237 5 speed twice a month from Hazleton,Penna. to Seattle,Washington  loaded to 73,000 lbs both ways.Great truck got me out of the hole after I totaled my other truck,this was early 1980's.

Quite the run for a 237!!    terry:D

• Like 1