How to wire delco 22si

First question is this a internal regulated unit or a non regulated unit. ? I think the 22si could be had both ways.   Most people today buy internal regulated as its less wireing. if it is internal regulated you just need a thick red wire from the unit to the + side of the battery and a good ground wire to the block or frame. if you start the truck and voltage stays 14.5 or less you are good. if it is above that it likely needs a external regulator. Still Best to find out before.

The "R"  puts out 1/2 the voltage used for other stuff that you likely dont have.

one other thing is some units need to see RPM before they start charging. so after you fire it up give it some RPM to excite it. 

1 hour ago, beatngu said:

I am not terribly certain if it is internally regulated. I will have to try your suggestion and watch voltage, would I have to run a separate wire to the voltmeter?

if its a simple 2 wire set up..... from the back of the unit just run a wire from the + post over to the battery then attach a ground wire to the frame or block. after the truck starts give it some rpm and then use the volt meter to check voltage at the battery. 

On my R model I am seeing 13.5 to 13.7 at my batterys and about the same on the dash gauge

Or just run it over to a electrical shop and ask them what they think. I know the 22SI had different options how they were equipped.

Here is the official Delco wire diagram for a one wire alt with gauge, Ground wire from alt to chassis isn't shown

My Delco books show 21SI and 22SI are both internal regs.Two wire plug from the top is internal reg, plug from the back is external reg.

AmpMeter.jpg.f55ec49bf3b40e6c644ea396dbdef779.jpg

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 4 weeks later...