B fuel tank gunk

Hi all,

i had a bunch of gunk in the bottom of my tanks. I found this out cause it was plugging up my lift pump and filter. Man, is that stuff nasty. Just like tar and pretty much undissolvable with fresh diesel or even gas. After getting the diesel out, I parked my truck at a steep downhill slant and removed the supply hoses and let this stuff ooze out. About a gallon or two came out of each tank.

i think I ended up with all this since my dump truck sits for a couple of years at a time and out in the hot summer sun the tar separates out of the diesel and sinks to the bottom.

anyways, I'm not writing to whine. Yesterday I was going to use the truck and it wouldn't run for lack of fuel...yep more tar plugging the supply lines. Dang it. I'm gonna have to drop these tanks and get them steam cleaned, right? I thought before I pulled them I'd ask you guys if you had any tips or tricks or alternate solutions to taking the tanks off and into town.

thanks,

martin

1965 Mack B-74, dump

1974 Mack R, logging w/Prentice self-loader

www.somewhereonthemountain.blogspot.com

Hmmn,

boiled...like I could rig up a big drum full of water over a fire and put the tank in and boil it with the outlet stem pointed down so the gunk flowed out?

i know, sounds kinda desperate, but I'm out in the sticks and not a lot of extra cash available!

1965 Mack B-74, dump

If you still have some of the gunk you removed I'd do a little experimentation to find a solvent that will dissolve it. If it came from a solution, the fuel, it can be put back into a solution with the correct solvent. I'd try acetone and/or lacquer thinner to start.

I assume you can get the sending units out. If so that should give you enough room to work some kind of a tool into it to stir up the mess so it will dissolve. Obviously you need to drain the mix off; do not try to run it through the fuel system.

My guess is that this stuff has been accumulating for years and the introduction of ethanol fuel has caused it to morph into a tar like substance.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

I found out that acetone dissolves it quite well. I've got  the tank removed, as much tar dripped out of the bottom as I wa s able and now I've got a gallon of acetone in there...we'll see!

1965 Mack B-74, dump