New Engine or New Truck?

On 7/15/2017 at 11:28 AM, Deere Mack said:

Realistically what do you guys think this truck should be priced at?  Also does 193,728 miles and 8240 hours sound right?  Salesman swore up and down those weren't roll over miles

as an example of a truck that has NOT sat around idling all day, my 05 T800 Kenworth has 269,243 miles and 5904 hours on it when parked this afternoon.

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

2 hours ago, tjc transport said:

as an example of a truck that has NOT sat around idling all day, my 05 T800 Kenworth has 269,243 miles and 5904 hours on it when parked this afternoon.

Maybe it was just hanging out in the shade listening to the radio with the switch on...lol    I know it's really hard see how the hours are off that much.

it had to be a municipal truck, is that what the salesman told you? If so that very well may add up, however uncommon, and be creating the price premium.  There are plenty of muni trucks that sit several days of the week or are bought with taxpayer money and used as a spare.  I remember the township i grew up in had the dealership do all the maintenance work.  Once every other month they would drop it off on a monday and pick it up the next monday...i bet that old girl had low miles

11 hours ago, MackMann85 said:

it had to be a municipal truck, is that what the salesman told you? If so that very well may add up, however uncommon, and be creating the price premium.  There are plenty of muni trucks that sit several days of the week or are bought with taxpayer money and used as a spare.  I remember the township i grew up in had the dealership do all the maintenance work.  Once every other month they would drop it off on a monday and pick it up the next monday...i bet that old girl had low miles

Yes, said it was a County Truck.

• 3 months later...

Well, after an intense search and coming up with mostly used and abused, I just went for the new truck.  Talked myself into it.  So far it's been in the shop three times:

1. On delivery day, did inspection, power divider wouldn't lock (wasn't even hooked up) and had a bad air leak at tank. Back to shop, fixed.
  2. Got an Allison auto and it started acting up, not shifting properly and throwing codes.  Ends up the wiring harness from dash to trans was damaged during the truck build. Back to shop fixed.
  3.  Discovered rear drive pinion seal was leaking.  Went to fix and discovered bad threads on pinion gear, replaced with new pinion gear and seal.

Not even 2600 miles.  Someone please tell me it gets better...lol

20170921_190313.jpg

20170925_173647.jpg

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Lmackattack said:

Will it get better. I hope so but likely you are in for a ride.  I would not trust any of these new trucks as far as I could push em. I hope you just found a few simple mistakes and it makes you money...Keep us posted

9 hours ago, Dirtymilkman said:

The first month or two is the worst. My buddy bought a new KW and after his fourth trip in with it, the dealer gave him a notebook and said just write all the issues down and we'll deal with it at the next service. But every brand new truck will have breaking in pains. 

Lets hope so!   Loving the automatic, but that PTO rattle is driving me crazy!

my new truck in 05 (auto 375hp cv713) was a pain in the first month as well but it was all stupid stuff like chrome on the bumper was pealing or power window switch broke or random malfunction light for no reason (stopped after the first month or 2). just have to work out a few bugs. the more shit the truck has the more crap can go wrong. thats why the older trucks had very little problems. nothing to break lol but i have to say all the newer trucks that people have that i work with doesnt seem to be that way. its always something. they seem to be very "sensitive" for lack of words. i own a 2000 CL713 427hp now and just the other day a malfunction light went on for the first time in years for a unit pump #5. 20 years old and 600k i think i can toss a new one in and not feel bad about it lol 

• Like 1

new resized.jpg