13 speed Fuller

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 10:42 AM, TeamsterGrrrl said:

Actually, a used truck makes sense for a low mileage local application like a recovery truck. But if you're running over 100k miles a year the fuel cost savings and warranty of a new truck will often pay for the increased depreciation of the new truck.

I have just 1 question for you.  Have you EVER run your OWN truck?

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!

1 hour ago, TeamsterGrrrl said:

A 2000 model isn't quite an "old truck" yet. Macks and any well built machine with proper maintenance have a reliable service life of at least 20 years... Please give is an update after 2025.

Maybe by the yr. 2025 that easy job you had at ups will have been replaced by robots . But my old stuff will still be going.

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

I will say for you guys who cant or dont work on your own truck that you are screwed if you have a new truck or a old truck.I am talking about a truck that holds down a full time job ever day 5 or 6 days a week.Any of them need a ever day look over and if you keep it up so it will pass a dot inspection you will need a good paying job.Freightliner and KW here charge 145.00 per hour for labor and with a old trucks many of the guys working on them are not that old.If you know and can work on your truck like i and others then its not so bad.What happens so many times is you get in to a old truck cheap and by the time you get it road worthy it too late to bale out and then you keep spending money on it till you or it gives up.I know i have one that i run and its the same way.But it hauls same weight ever day as the new ones.It just not down ever other week at the dealer for a no gen problem.

• Like 1

glenn akers

We run R and RD models hauling gravel to the yard everyday eight loads a day each 45 mile round trip per load. Our old trucks run the most miles all day while the CH and visions haul manholes and pipe less than half the mileage our old R do and we have less problems with the old trucks. Our oldest is an 87 and mine is the newest and its 17 years old if I were an owner operator give me an old superdog or R model any day over a vision. I'm not big on having to have the air ride and other niceties just a good reliable mechanical engine truck that most old school guys like me can work on and don't need an engineering degree. Most guys forgot what makes the money is plain simplicity these kids who cant run a truck unless its got 500 or better horses under the hood and cold AC are not real truck drivers most couldn't jury rig a truck to cripple it back in the shop now they have to be rescued with a wrecker. I can get down off my soap box now I have expressed how I feel about the new age "trucker"

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, theakerstwo said:

I will say for you guys who cant or dont work on your own truck that you are screwed if you have a new truck or a old truck.I am talking about a truck that holds down a full time job ever day 5 or 6 days a week.Any of them need a ever day look over and if you keep it up so it will pass a dot inspection you will need a good paying job.Freightliner and KW here charge 145.00 per hour for labor and with a old trucks many of the guys working on them are not that old.If you know and can work on your truck like i and others then its not so bad.What happens so many times is you get in to a old truck cheap and by the time you get it road worthy it too late to bale out and then you keep spending money on it till you or it gives up.I know i have one that i run and its the same way.But it hauls same weight ever day as the new ones.It just not down ever other week at the dealer for a no gen problem.

like.jpg.e597adf37b23e6561c5c6e3ab2bdbfa8.jpg

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

On 6/21/2017 at 9:05 AM, Freightrain said:

I've typed so many things in this post but deleted them all.   I won't let a narrow minded person knock me down to their level and beat me with experience.

like.jpg.9fbb3c1b0dad02fb9ced7b5c8ad6ba06.jpg

I know exactly what you're saying, me too!..but i'm just an old white guy, uneducated, non-union, living in the past- gotta go check on the slaves now, later!

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

A 2000 model isn't quite an "old truck" yet. Macks and any well built machine with proper maintenance have a reliable service life of at least 20 years... Please give is an update after 2025.

Liberal game plan. Change the question if you're not getting the answer that fits into your agenda.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

old trucks do require more attention, and a good operator with some mechanical aptitude. it does not fit in ups's business model does not mean its not profitable, let alone there drivers would piss and moan. although if i'm not mistaken ups retains there trucks longer than the average large fleet. 

UPS tried keeping tractors 20 years, found out the repair costs were too high. They then planned on replacement after 9 years, but in practice that got extended out a bit. Right now UPS has been buying new tractors like crazy, and I don't see UPS CHs very often... UPS switched from the CH to the CX around 2003.

7 hours ago, TeamsterGrrrl said:

UPS tried keeping tractors 20 years, found out the repair costs were too high. They then planned on replacement after 9 years, but in practice that got extended out a bit. Right now UPS has been buying new tractors like crazy, and I don't see UPS CHs very often... UPS switched from the CH to the CX around 2003.

I pulled containers out of a rail yard where UPS also pulled out of and the way some of them drove I can understand why repair costs were high

Actually, I'm in a similar position, but never had a problem with UPS's acronyms, uniforms, etc.. I first worked for UPS in the early 90s when I was literally chased out of Hostess and would have gladly stayed on, but the Postal Service gave me more work as a part timer and ultimately that lead to a full time job. After retiring from the Postal Service I temped at UPS again during the peak seasons a decade ago, they wanted me to work summer too but I liked to ride motorcycle then. During 2007 peak season UPS told us temps to be ready to go full time, as they expected a wave of retirements in 2008. But the recession killed that plan, I moved to a place 70 miles from the nearest UPS Center, and a couple months of peak season overtime pay would just push me into a higher tax bracket anyway.

But if I needed the money, I'd be back to UPS tomorrow!

Old trucks are great to collect, show, and run in a relaxed manner. But work them? I remember the disaster that Hostess transportation became when they didn't get any new trucks for 8 years and finally shut down and liquidated. By then the average fleet age was 18 years, and the bankruptcy creditor's list included most every truck rental company!

Old trucks are great to collect, show, and run in a relaxed manner. But work them? I remember the disaster that Hostess transportation became when they didn't get any new trucks for 8 years and finally shut down and liquidated. By then the average fleet age was 18 years, and the bankruptcy creditor's list included most every truck rental company!

OMG, I'm way behind! My fleet average is 39 years! I better run down and buy a new truck! Oh wait, it's Sunday... Damn, I won't be able to sleep tonight until I sign up for the new Volvo tomorrow...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk