13 speed Fuller

Well , I bought this transmission that supposedly was out of a fire truck, R model. 1810 yoke and 2" input and output shafts. The truck place did not want to part with the bellhousing. I know where there is one for $300 and the tranny was five. It feels good and the gears look nice and spins smooth. Problem is that it has no tag on it so not sure what model it is. Looks old so would it be a 9512 or 13. RT or RTO. Would like to know. There are #s on the output shaft, 16259R2. Is this crazy to want to replace my 2070 Mack tranny with this?

tranny #1.jpg

The only way I can see that Fuller/ Eaton working is with a auxiliary gear box or change drive axle ratios also. That transmission pictured could either be a 12513 or 14613. The slave valve on the side is the early style IIRC 4688 model. It does have the tall shift tower. More than likely it is a RTO, more common than the RT.

Truck Shop

• Like 1

One ping only

1 hour ago, Casper1988 said:

Log truck application Terry. Don't need to go more than 55mph. Lots of hills here and a few gears in between would be helpful. has a 300L motor in it. Thanks.

If that is the case, might work good for you.  but with what glenn said on that series, will that series handle the torque of that 300l engine? Them double countershaft's do  not handle the torque nearly as good as a triple countershaft mack trans.  terry:D

Edited by terry
  • Like 1

i know personally where you are coming from on wanting more gears. I switched my 2080 with a Eaton 8LL. I had an Eaton 13-speed first but it got stolen. So then I found the 8LL and went with it. I did change my rears from 5.73 to 4.42 to keep top speed. You may also have to lengthen driveshaft but that's not a big deal. I say go for it. Those Mack trannies are tough but not enough gears.

• Like 1

Sounds like it could be an ok thing for around here. I live in hill country and 45 mph to 55 mph when rolling is my average speed. I rarely find myself going 55. Its the step increase and decrease that is tough on hills in this tranny ( 2070 ). So now I will look at ratios of a 9513 rto compared to the 2070 and see what it entails. Looks like the pto pump bolts on the bottom and would be fine as this fuller wouldn't hang as low as the Mack tranny. I will not be changing out rears as this is not an everyday use truck and cant' justify that. I really appreciate the response as the truck stuff is new to me.

May as well rebuild the parts as long as you've got them out (unless you know their history), by the time you're done you've dumped another $10,000 into an old tuck that ain't even worth that. And there's no guarantee that the engine won't blow next and then you're even deeper underwater. If you haven't got the capital to buy and maintain a decent truck, maybe it's time for a new business plan.