Wiper problems with MH

Black jack mack

Question

14 answers to this question

I'm not helping you, but I'll add that the original motors from Trico were 63QT55M (right) and 63QT56M (left). After Trico abruptly told us they were exiting the heavy truck business and we had to depend on Sprague, the new part numbers were 63QT57M (right) and 63QT58M (left).

(Our industry-leading "Service Engineering" people put out a "Mack Service Bulletin".

Did you call Rome Truck Parts?

http://www.rometruckparts.com/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Underdog said:
I've heard talk that an MR electric wiper can be made to work on an MH, but I haven't tried it. Mine are still working.

Gregg,
That sounds like some BS I might have started!
In all seriousness I did convert one of our MHs over to an electric wiper motor.
I said electric motor because I only did the LH (driver's side). As far as I'm concerned that's the only one you need anyway unless you have a RooBar on your truck.
I used, as you said, a wiper motor off an MR. I couldn't begin to tell you in detail how I did it but it worked quite well. The one I did is in a truck not to far from me. Maybe if the need ever arrises I could ask the owner if Icould remove it and take some pictures of it for you guys?
It was quite involved and I actually only made two of them. One for a spare, and then as time permitted was going to make electric motors for all of them. Never got around to installing but the one of them.
I like a challenge and was quite pleased with how it turned out. I even thought hey why not make one for the RH side!
Well with the duct work for the heater/air conditioner I gave up on that idea real fast!
With the motor set up I made for the driver's there was probably only about a 1/4" cleareance between the electric motor and the cross shaft off the clutch pedal!

Ron

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 39 Baby Mack said:

Gregg,
That sounds like some BS I might have started!
In all seriousness I did convert one of our MHs over to an electric wiper motor.
I said electric motor because I only did the LH (driver's side). As far as I'm concerned that's the only one you need anyway unless you have a RooBar on your truck.
I used, as you said, a wiper motor off an MR. I couldn't begin to tell you in detail how I did it but it worked quite well. The one I did is in a truck not to far from me. Maybe if the need ever arrises I could ask the owner if Icould remove it and take some pictures of it for you guys?
It was quite involved and I actually only made two of them. One for a spare, and then as time permitted was going to make electric motors for all of them. Never got around to installing but the one of them.
I like a challenge and was quite pleased with how it turned out. I even thought hey why not make one for the RH side!
Well with the duct work for the heater/air conditioner I gave up on that idea real fast!
With the motor set up I made for the driver's there was probably only about a 1/4" cleareance between the electric motor and the cross shaft off the clutch pedal!

Ron

At least I know who to call when my wipers quit working! Thanks for the insight, Ron. I would enjoy the challenge as well.

9 hours ago, Black jack mack said:
I have a 1987 Mack MH. The passenger side wiper quit working. Nothing available from Mack. Does anyone know if you can switch from air to electric?

I did find one at a place called find it parts #63QT413.
Are you sitting down?
$530.20 and it's not gold plated!

Ron

• Like 1

My memory get's a little fuzzy sometimes, maybe kscarbel can remember for sure? Weren't the first motors in th MHs made by Trico? The wedge shaped motors like they used in the last "F" models.

Much better motors in my opinion.

I do remember for sure there was a change in how the arms attached between between early and late style motors.

The first ones the main arm slid on with a clip that was spring loaded. The clip went behind the splined nub on the motor to retain it. Later ones had a split main arm with an allen headed clincher bolt and an acorn nut on a threaded shaft to retain it. Needless to say it wasn't going to fall off!

Ron

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, MHfred said:

If it were mine, I would remove the air line and put some light weight oil in it and operate it several times by hand and then try to operate it with air as normal.

Or if the truck was run with a bad compressor at some point there may be to much oil in there.  Had that happen before.  Just a FYI.  Hope you get it going.

• Like 1

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!

On 6/18/2017 at 12:13 PM, Black jack mack said:

Thanks for the help and advice. I'm going to try and rig up an electric wiper motor.

I'm wanting to do the the same thing. Does anyone have any ideas or info on doing an electric motor conversion on an MH?

I'm considering trying to get parts from an MR and seeing if I can do it.