New Mack for the fall

10 minutes ago, HeavyGunner said:

Sure you can get nice classic looking trucks....just not from Mack. 

They are out there but the old models evolved into them.  These companies would never spend the R&D to design those trucks from the wheels up.  Fleets are the big money and they would never buy those trucks either.

Although not way back the CH still has some old school looks.

Edited by Brian71583

7 minutes ago, Brian71583 said:

They are out there but the old models evolved into them.  These companies would never spend the R&D to design those trucks from the wheels up.  Fleets are the big money and they would never buy those trucks either.

Although not way back the CH still has some old school looks.

Actually you could replace the hood on the Anthem with a Superliner-style hood, add classic-looking bumper and battery box, and voila! It would make a nice-looking truck without a ton of R & D.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Brian71583 said:

I've been lurking around here a while, this is my first post.  I work at Mack's LVO plant where we build them.  Maybe it doesn't translate well in pictures but this really is a nice truck in person.  Especially if your expectations are what they have been telling you it will be all along.  A highway truck. Which to me will also translate into a fleet truck.  As great as it would be to have a Superliner, they're never gonna make one.  A small niche of buyers would buy it and Mack would be stuck with another cool truck no one would buy.  We're still keeping the Granite, We're still keeping the CH and cabovers, The Anthem still screams Mack.  The main body of the cab is nearly exactly the same as the current cab. Redesigned the hood vents.  Same shape windshield. Big bold MACK across the grill. I don't think they could have made a better looking truck that met the objectives they needed to hit.

Your never gonna get the newer retro Challenger/Camaro/Mustang equivalents in the trucking industry.  Trucks are built to serve a purpose and make money. 

I'm not a fleet driver but an owner operator, I for one agree with you. I think this is a pretty sharp looking ride, I'm liking the interior also and really want to see a top of the line version. Did the CH receive any exterior upgrades?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, larry5332 said:

I'm not a fleet driver but an owner operator, I for one agree with you. I think this is a pretty sharp looking ride, I'm liking the interior also and really want to see a top of the line version. Did the CH receive any exterior upgrades?

No exterior upgrades aside from the subtle hood upgrade introduced last year.  All convention models will get the new interior.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fjh said:

This truck will grow on me As did the granite ! However the comment that the truck was built to make money  Falls short as the the main way, now a days to earn money with this or any truck is to keep it out of the shop This remains to be seen ! Have they addressed the any engine  related issues plaguing these engines for years now    ie injector cups .They claim to have a more efficient design on the after treatment how  ever time will tell , They still fit them with substandard sensors and poor quality wire! Not to say anyone else is doing any different just Sayin  There is more to this than looks!

UPTIME!

Mechanically a lot of its the same but Mack introduces incremental changes all the time. A year or so ago they introduced a new after treatment system that honestly at my end I have no idea how its reliability is turning out.  I know we have instituted tons of special and torque controlled tooling with this and other changes around LVO.  When they say they are revolutionizing the plant. They are.  A lot is changing from equipment to processes.  Combine that with the telematics they come with now and the uptime centers hopefully it all pans out nicely.

5 hours ago, james j neiweem said:

Heavy Gunner. IMHO the Pinnacle axle forward competes looks wise with Paccar Diamler and Navistar. They just lack the big bore.

You're right the pinnacle with the rawhide trim package looks pretty sweet. I still think Mack could make a classic looking truck with a big bore and it would sell. Or just bring the titan back or the trident over to the US. 

Edited by HeavyGunner
Damn autocorrect
  • Like 1

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

Saw the image with some shiny  parts on it in BBIGRIG's post,  it does look better. IMO moving the alien eyes down to the hood sides or top of fenders would make it more acceptable.

That said, the comments and opinions on the Anthem I showed to my uncle who did MACK service from 1950 to 1993.  His thoughts were, that we said the same things when the B was replaced by the R models. They thought MACK killed the brand!  So I guess it's all the normal thought process. I will reserve my final opinions when I physically, eyeball,  touch and sit in one.  Paul

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Here is some of the dash and one of the sleeper found around the internet.  Also a pic of the smaller sleeper.  I think I actually like the 48" sleeper better than the 72"   That truck looks tough.

I did read somewhere on the internet last night that along with the roll out of this that the CH will get a new grille along the lines of what you see on the Anthem.  I have not heard anything about that at work.

2018-mack-anthem-semi-truck-dash-controls.jpg

2018-mack-semi-truck-interior-1024x552.jpg

1505412646460.jpg

1505412667743.jpg

Disclaimer since I work at Mack:  I did not take this picture, I have not heard about any of these changes at work.  This picture and details were found on the web and I have no details or confirmation

Apparently the CH is getting a new anthem style grille, LED headlights, along with the new interior.  Studying this picture it appears its getting the new stand up sleeper box from the Anthem too but in the past I was told that is not the case so who knows.  Information is never reliable until its rolling down the line.

I do not know how I feel about this picture. At first I HATED it, but its growing on me.  Mack sure likes this color though.

170913-Mack-Pinnacle-2017-09-14-11-02-500x596.jpg

• Like 1

Like that new pinnacle (chu) if it comes to pass. I wonder where the picture came from? Brian its good to have a factory insider again. Just don't get in trouble. Show and tell what you can and no more. I see the pinnacle axle back is off of the website now. Vision(cx) and Pinnacle axle back (cxu) have been relegated to history. Yes the new Anthem is sort of WS 5700ish. I like them both.  The hood mirrors probably need a couple of options ie. side of hood. Those mirrors popping out of the hood kind of remind me of the old L models with the exhaust stacks coming out of the hood.:thumb:

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, james j neiweem said:

Like that new pinnacle (chu) if it comes to pass. I wonder where the picture came from? Brian its good to have a factory insider again. Just don't get in trouble. Show and tell what you can and no more. I see the pinnacle axle back is off of the website now. Vision(cx) and Pinnacle axle back (cxu) have been relegated to history. Yes the new Anthem is sort of WS 5700ish. I like them both.  The hood mirrors probably need a couple of options ie. side of hood. Those mirrors popping out of the hood kind of remind me of the old L models with the exhaust stacks coming out of the hood.:thumb:

After looking around the web more I feel a little more confident talking about the CH but I'v really learned of this this morning. The pictures appear to be at our customer center test track in Allentown where a media event has been going on since the reveal. There is a convoy of trucks that left there this morning (Including the pictured CH)  heading to the show in Atlanta.  It looks like what has been mentioned  and pictured is how the CH will be.  Especially if its rolling to the show as we speak. Some publications have pictures similar to mine of the CH on their sites if your good at Google.

Its really amazing how well they can keep some stuff secret, even from us. In my position I personally saw the new truck months ago but probably 3/4 of the workforce here never saw the new truck in its entirety until the reveal.  They were only produced to leave the line at certain times.  Covered on line except for the current operation being performed and then whisked away to disappear right away. 

5 hours ago, Brian71583 said:

Disclaimer since I work at Mack:  I did not take this picture, I have not heard about any of these changes at work.  This picture and details were found on the web and I have no details or confirmation

Apparently the CH is getting a new anthem style grille, LED headlights, along with the new interior.  Studying this picture it appears its getting the new stand up sleeper box from the Anthem too but in the past I was told that is not the case so who knows.  Information is never reliable until its rolling down the line.

I do not know how I feel about this picture. At first I HATED it, but its growing on me.  Mack sure likes this color though.

170913-Mack-Pinnacle-2017-09-14-11-02-500x596.jpg

Look good, typical Mack. I slip a full chrome grill on it to give it the Titan or Superliner influence.  Paul

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

43 minutes ago, upsman said:

I like the flat spot on the bottom of steering wheel, no more rubbing on the belly! Lol

Good idea.  Remember driving with a couple more "round" drivers, they would have little pin hole in thier t-shirts from the steering wheel rubbing on the "roundness."  Seen a couple steering wheels with that shape on custom street rods.  Maybe another take on the white stripe you see on race cars so drivers can tell when wheels are straight with drag strip.