New Mack for the fall

one thing I will still say about Mack is that the build quality is still better than Paccar.  Mack pays closer attention to fitment and serviceability. This 378 pete I drive now is a nice truck but try to remove anything off the cab and you have snapped bolts, stripped heads, or rivets that need to be removed. On the inside the dash is flimsy cracked plastic with a HVAC unit that lets in buckets of rain water . I dont know how well the latest model of mack(volvo) are but this 2001 pete I drive now is way behind the same year macks I have wrenched on.

6 hours ago, nwfs600 said:

I don't see the gigantic problem for a truck to deliver some X-15's to the Mack plant. It was good enough with the CL trucks and would give us the same choice everyone else in the industry has. I asked this question at MATS after being told they were working on a longer hood/cowl. I got the company line about the MP8 being enough. Our CHU does just fine but add another 40 tons. 

Ask International/Navistar how the removal of choice worked for them in their 13 litre program.

What's the longer hood /Cowl for ? New model ?

38 minutes ago, logtruckman said:

What's the longer hood /Cowl for ? New model ?

The rep at the booth was vague but we were talking about the CHU. He wouldn't say if it was an extended hood or cowl to get more bbc length. 

• Like 1

Wouldn't extended hood be easier. Extended cowl seems like it may screw up the dash/fire wall area. In order to keep things simple such as the very front of the  truck steering, axle, radiator etc. It seems that the cab could be moved back along the frame a bit.:) 

Edited by james j neiweem

• 1 month later...
On 6/16/2017 at 10:46 PM, Lmackattack said:

one thing I will still say about Mack is that the build quality is still better than Paccar.  Mack pays closer attention to fitment and serviceability. This 378 pete I drive now is a nice truck but try to remove anything off the cab and you have snapped bolts, stripped heads, or rivets that need to be removed. On the inside the dash is flimsy cracked plastic with a HVAC unit that lets in buckets of rain water . I dont know how well the latest model of mack(volvo) are but this 2001 pete I drive now is way behind the same year macks I have wrenched on.

I can tell you that is still the case to this day. I ordered a new Kenworth T660 in late 2014, traded a 2012 Mack CHU FA  for it in December of 14 when the new 660 came in.... Wish I'd have never done that, almost all issues were chassis related electrical issues and it took the first 20 months of ownership to get them resolved. To Kenworths credit they did stand behind the truck, I paid no repair cost out of my own pocket but time and transportation cost to and from the dealership every month as I live 72 miles one way from the dealer. Had a lot of faith in Kenworth when I ordered this truck, a T660 that has been in production for years... little did I know. Just bidding my time now to see what Mack introduces in September. 

• Like 1

If that is what the new model will look like, I would never want one. Those are the ugliest shaped fenders, headlights and grill I have ever seen.

What a joke. That would be a great autonomous truck. That way you wouldn't have to be seen in it, LOL.

• Like 1

Saw a post on f@$&book from a mack dealer Inetwork Ohio that just delivered 5 brand new Titan lowboy tractors to a construction company... but yet there's no demand for those trucks. Smh

Talking to some people that work at LVO, they said that the Titan was discontinued because the MP10 couldn't meet the new emissions regulations.

Talking to some people that work at LVO, they said that the Titan was discontinued because the MP10 couldn't meet the new emissions regulations.

Volvo didn't want to spend the money to meet "US" emissions, because sales volume was low.

However, Volvo will spend the money for the D16 (aka MP10) to meet Euro-7, because sales volume is high AND their global customer base demands this engine option.

The technology is available to meet the new emissions, the newly revised Scania V8 a case in point.