Sign in to follow this  
rlfervan

47 EF New here

Engine parts are available and prices aren't too bad.  Have fun with it!

On 5/21/2017 at 8:34 PM, carlotpilot said:

welcome        get some    cano kroil        its expensive but it works   put about a half a cup in each cylinder and wait about 3 days  then work it loose

Some of us old tractor boys use brake fluid. It is expensive also, but most people own a can or two of it.

I got the nose and the head off. 4 of 6 cyl look great 5th will clean up 6th looks not so good. bigger worry is the valves on those 2 cylinders are a mess.

I did order some Kroil, as luck would have it I also got a seized generator in the shop yesterday so it will get a good test.  I work on small engines to support my rust addiction.

All I need now is time and money and this mack will roll again. 

I am thinking about going to the ATCA show in Macungie PA.  About a 2 hour ride for me.anyone else going?

Well I did get the Continental 290 Unstuck. I put together a you tube video of the process if anyone is interested here is a link.

Mack Unstuck

Call me crazy but it worked

• Like 1

persistence usually pays off     best of luck getting her running again    :thumb:

I've never seen that done.  I guess it wouldn't work on a 350 Chevy with aluminum pistons. 

1 hour ago, yarnall said:

I've never seen that done.  I guess it wouldn't work on a 350 Chevy with aluminum pistons. 

if the pistons have`nt welded themselves to the cyl walls it will work

Any updates, and did you have luck with the stock engine?

Yes Engine came out came apart got cleaned, cleaned some more, block went to machine shop got cleaned again Magnafluxed. It got 2 cylinders sleeved, the rest honed. Block decked. 6 new valve guides, a few new valves a couple seats. all seats and valves ground  4 new tappets. new valve springs exh keepers. New cam and rod bearings. crank polished.  slight crack in the head repaired and head milled flat.Then cleaned some more.  Yes it was grimey.  While it was in the machine shop I rebuilt the carb, governor fuel pump and distributor.  water pump was sent out to shipbuilder. clutch and pressure plate rebuilt.  got the engine back t weeks ago and cleaned one last time brushing out oil galleys.  It is now going back together quite nicely.

I will try to upload some pictures if you want.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2017 at 11:42 AM, rlfervan said:

Call me crazy but it worked

That's reasonably common here, amongst the Stationary Engine Crowd.....

That's a good feeling when you get all the bent, rusted, worn pieces fixed and going back together with good parts.

On 5/26/2017 at 7:49 PM, Mike said:

Some of us old tractor boys use brake fluid. It is expensive also, but most people own a can or two of it.

So you just pour straight brake fluid in the cylinders? I didn't know that would work.

Making progress!

(     On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 7:49 PM, Mike said:

Some of us old tractor boys use brake fluid. It is expensive also, but most people own a can or two of it.)

I have used a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone.  You can get acetone at most hardware stores.  It works very well, and is relatively inexpensive. 

Got the valve train back together this evening.  As I said before cleaned a LOT of parts. While cleaning hardware I discovered this. just reminds me the importance of cleaning and inspection.

image.png.cd3f049d19060ee037bb4538e3c99cd8.pngThis bolt was one that holds the timing back cover. Not sure what would causes a crack like this. I guess 70 years of holding tight.

that could be one of a kind    a conversation piece for sure   engine cleaned up really well  for having been stuck

Edited by carlotpilot

Got the valve train back together this evening.  As I said before cleaned a LOT of parts. While cleaning hardware I discovered this. just reminds me the importance of cleaning and inspection.
image.png.cd3f049d19060ee037bb4538e3c99cd8.pngThis bolt was one that holds the timing back cover. Not sure what would causes a crack like this. I guess 70 years of holding tight.

65259e547d5bad2e2b5cd999b632ab3f.jpg
Making progress. Got the bottom end all torqued down and locked down safety wired. Also got the oil pump clocked to the distributor ( I think). Peary for oil pan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

65259e547d5bad2e2b5cd999b632ab3f.jpg&key=d5cf838a5148e951671713f89d7b046e750b8e2b45cc5b68d0bb649c06cbdf97
Making progress. Got the bottom end all torqued down and locked down safety wired. Also got the oil pump clocked to the distributor ( I think). Peary for oil pan

b2a66d94d04b640a0480d3f3be503dc7.jpg

Oil pan back on. 8762a613ba2dfd08e8adcbf090d42f3c.jpg

• Like 1