How much of Mack Truck Component Development is still done in the U.S?

On 7/25/2017 at 9:42 PM, kscarbel2 said:

U.S. military 2-1/2 ton and 5-ton trucks all used Rockwell top-mounted carriers.  

In the Mack Museum restoration area recently they had an old WWII era looking truck (maybe 5 tons) and it had a massive top-mounted carrier. The label said Timken.

Years ago in the late 90s I had an old 1971 British Atkinson and it had a top mounted Kirkstall which was rare at the time as few were still around  as Kirkstall went out long ago. The first time I saw it I thought the Atkinson was retrofitted with Mack rears because i had never heard of Kirkstall.

4 hours ago, Jamaican Bulldog said:

In the Mack Museum restoration area recently they had an old WWII era looking truck (maybe 5 tons) and it had a massive top-mounted carrier. The label said Timken.

Years ago in the late 90s I had an old 1971 British Atkinson and it had a top mounted Kirkstall which was rare at the time as few were still around  as Kirkstall went out long ago. The first time I saw it I thought the Atkinson was retrofitted with Mack rears because i had never heard of Kirkstall.

The following WW2 era Mack military trucks had Mack drive axles.

Mack LMSW 10-ton wrecker  -  Mack SW315 (SW318?)

Mack NO 7-1/12 ton prime mover  -  Mack CR38/CR39 (9.02 ratio)  

Mack NR 10-ton 6x4  -  Mack SW30S (9.02 ratio)

The following WW2 era Mack military trucks had Timken drive axles. (Vlad correct me if I'm wrong.)

The 6-ton Mack NM 6x6, like the other standardized 6-tonners from Brockway, Corbitt, FWD, Ward La France and White did have Timken-Wisconsin SD353 dual reduction drive axles (7.33 ratio), so as to reduce the U.S. Army's spare parts headache.

And I believe the NJU-1 4x4 6-ton tractor, NB-1 2-1/2 ton 6x4 search light truck and French Army export EXBX-2 18-ton 6x4 tank transporter (the standard EXBX had Mack axles) also had Timken axles.

Vlad, correct me if I'm wrong.

• Like 1

I saw a video on u tube video of a " trucking journalist" promoting the m drive he took a very clean B model single axle tractor for a short drive out of the Allentown plant it had a compound, duplex I think, I wasn't impressed with his split shifting unaware that he was promoting the M drive! Why didn't he take out a more modern tractor like a 5 speed maxidyne or 10 speed Mack which are easier to drive? I didn't see the M drive road test as I was only interested in seeing the B model test drive!