E7 shutting off randomly

Jbush_51

Yea harnesses are a couple Grand. I let the truck idle for an hour this morning with the fuse out that sends power to the cruise control with no shutdown, the past two mornings it shutdown within 20-30mins. My plan now is to put the fuse back in, run it to see if it shuts down then pull the fuse and see if the light goes out again/ fires up. Bad part it also sends power to the clutch switch and Jake's.

On 4/26/2017 at 7:31 PM, Jbush_51 said:

Got a truck with a 400 e7 Vmac 1.  It will shut off going down the road like you turn the switch off.  When it does shut off you can turn the key off and back on and it fires back up.  Sometimes it takes a couple hours after the truck has been running before it starts acting up.  Some days it doesn't do it at all.  But when it does start it normally happens every few minutes.  I thought it may have been the Ecm so i plugged another one in and it does the same thing.  Previous owner had replaced a lot of the sensors including the fuel shut off.  The Tachometer recently quit working but not sure if that would have anything to do with it.  The truck doesn't have a light in the dash that i know of to see if it has a code.  This things has been a pain ever since we bought it

Try checking the wires to your coolant sensor in the tank on the radiator, my 93 613 would run well then shut off. Found out to be broken wire at the connector 

On 9/6/2017 at 7:31 PM, Mack log truck said:

I barrowed a vmac1 and a fic module from the mack dealer and the problem continued. Its getting very annoying that's for sure! 

Should double check with parts but the vmac 1 Bosch module could only end in 1 of 3 part numbers. If the dealer didn’t have one, then it would not have fixed your issue

So after doing many hours of reading, looking at diagrams and such it is my understanding there is no actual "fuel shutoff solenoid " but rather a shutoff relay in the dash that sends power to the fuel actuator in the injection pump. When the truck is operating properly I can work the foot petal and hear the fuel actuator moving in the pump. When the truck shuts down and will not restart I do not lose power to the fuel actuator but I can not hear the fuel actuator moving. I stick a pin in the wire and test with a meter as close to the pump as I can to eliminate as much wiring as possible, so that being the case it would only make since the connector at the pump could be at fault or the fuel actuator in the pump?

If it was an issue somewhere else in the truck there should not be power where I am testing because that is how the truck is shutdown, is that not correct?

My thought all along was an issue someplace in the truck that the module was detecting and to protect its self would be my intermittent shutdown, but if that was the case I would not expect to have 12v to the fuel actuator. 

What is your guys take on that? Truck is supposed to go to the shop Monday where the guy doesn't seem to have a clue,after working on it here and there for 5 months.

Only comment is pin sticking wires. Don't do it (or I should say "don't have done it"). Get a break-in to enter the closest harness pin from the weather seal side. Got mine from CAT. Your in salt country. A year from now you will have a little green dinner mint show up right in the middle of your harness where the copper once was.

If your pump actuator is going why is your comm dropping out to create the codes?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I took my truck to the mack dealer last week and they threw their fic  module in and had me run it, did the same thing this summer and it didn't work. They know there is an issue with theirs just don't know what. It didn't solve my shutdown issue so I took it back and they couldn't get it to run with my fic. They are leaning heavily to trying a brand new fic. 

I had a truck where I had a similar problem... turns out it was a rock in the fuel tank and would only have the problem when it moved around and blocked the fuel intake from the tank. It would be a big issue for like a week and then for like 2 months it would be fine then act up again etc. But when it wasn't obstructing the intake she ran mint... until i found that out i was going absolutely batty.

Was an E7 also by the way. Thought it was electrical and fuel pump and all that hubub.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, HeavyHaulinMac said:

I had a truck where I had a similar problem... turns out it was a rock in the fuel tank and would only have the problem when it moved around and blocked the fuel intake from the tank. It would be a big issue for like a week and then for like 2 months it would be fine then act up again etc. But when it wasn't obstructing the intake she ran mint... until i found that out i was going absolutely batty.

Was an E7 also by the way. Thought it was electrical and fuel pump and all that hubub.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Heard of the little foil seal off of a Power Service jug getting  launched  in the tank,had the same effect. Hope you guys get 'er solved. That's  a real bummer, stuff like that.  Al  

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

21 minutes ago, 57 bcr said:

Heard of the little foil seal off of a Power Service jug getting  launched  in the tank,had the same effect. Hope you guys get 'er solved. That's  a real bummer, stuff like that.  Al  

had the same problem with a kt cummins  fished a half dozen foils out of marlboro cigarette packs out the fuel tanks ran fine after that

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I had that same exact issue in my 04

it turned out to be an intermittent  oil pressure sensor.  When the sensor blinked out for a second, the computer recognized it as a no-oil condition in the engine and it shut it down immediately without recording why. Cyling the key switch reset it, but it did not record a code because it is a “volatile” failure requiring immediate action.  It could also be in the connection.  The sensor was less than $40.  It took the better part of a day to find it

Hi. I'm having similar issues with 2000 E-7. Engine was swap out couple yrs.ago boss says it's never run right yet. It was shutting down on a driver and i pulled off line. Found 4 codes not any that would cause shut down.I think it is something stuipd like fuel pickup blockage but it dies like electrical. I would to hear more scenarios with intermittent shutdowns.than

• 2 years later...

2014 mack GU713 MP7 with 130608 miles on it starts but wont shut off and the speedometer was peg out ran through the hole list of things to check ignition system the ecu found that the truck was still powered up when key was in the off position. found that the VECU was bad installed a new VECU and truck works good as new  

I have a 2002 CH600 E 7 427 with the stalling issue but sometimes won't start for 45 mins other than the stalling runs fine. it was codes 6 and 4 that flashed but now it won't show any code do they reset themselves? Any help would be great thanks in advance