!?!? What happened!

lakewood

So this is the the truck that you have been having the pulling issues with?

Your posts are rather Vague Bro ! You need to provide info here if you want help! Check the air cleaner  take the inlet off the turbo and check the wheel and shaft for movement if these trucks are new to you you may have the wrong muffler on or the muffler could be falling apart inside!Are the engines mechanical or are they electronic!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fjh said:

So this is the the truck that you have been having the pulling issues with?

Your posts are rather Vague Bro ! You need to provide info here if you want help! Check the air cleaner  take the inlet off the turbo and check the wheel and shaft for movement if these trucks are new to you you may have the wrong muffler on or the muffler could be falling apart inside!Are the engines mechanical or are they electronic!

I apologize I'm new to diesel engines. Leading up to this I've had trouble with this truck pulling. Loaded down I'd have to kind of work the clutch from a dead stop pulling a grade t9 avoid it from stalling. I have a sister truck it's a 94 same motor and all and it's a completely different animal. She pulls stronger and gets ip to spend a lot faster. 

Your fanning the clutch to make it over a hill?! I'm guessing since you're new to Diesel engines you're new to trucking. If not you should know better than to fan th clutch. Sounds like you need to take it to a competent Diesel tech and get it looked at. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

42 minutes ago, HeavyGunner said:

Your fanning the clutch to make it over a hill?! I'm guessing since you're new to Diesel engines you're new to trucking. If not you should know better than to fan th clutch. Sounds like you need to take it to a competent Diesel tech and get it looked at. 

I know I shouldn't do that but in certain situations I have to to avo8d stalling on a hill coming from a r3d light. Just tried starting again she had a little trouble cranking. Got her started a d it would Rev then drop Rev then drop etc. While blowing grey smoke 

Hey there Lakewood....

as you can imagine for us, it is always difficult to help diagnose issues over the internet with just typed words... I have to do it over a two way radio with bus drivers so even talking doesn't really help when the driver is not mechanically minded or knows not what the parts are called...

so, are you able to take pics or video of the areas you are describing and put them on the forum..???

from the information so far you have been given a few pointers, you have probably a fuel system or maybe turbo issue, but it could be as simple as a blocked air cleaner, and these are issues easier to determine by experienced people at your location using eyes, ears, smell and experience BEFORE tearing everything off the engine.

if the smoking exhaust continues to smolder for 10mins after you have turned the engine off park the truck, you have oil or raw fuel burning in the stack .. 

with limited info we can only guess what is wrong and are not really helping you as whatever we say to repair you cannot do the work yourself anyway...

if you let us know which town you are in someone may know of a good/honest shop for you to get to fix it... watch what the guy does and get back to us if you need second opinion or parts suppliers.

we're all behind you, you came to the right place...

BC Mack

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, BC Mack said:

Hey there Lakewood....

as you can imagine for us, it is always difficult to help diagnose issues over the internet with just typed words... I have to do it over a two way radio with bus drivers so even talking doesn't really help when the driver is not mechanically minded or knows not what the parts are called...

so, are you able to take pics or video of the areas you are describing and put them on the forum..???

from the information so far you have been given a few pointers, you have probably a fuel system or maybe turbo issue, but it could be as simple as a blocked air cleaner, and these are issues easier to determine by experienced people at your location using eyes, ears, smell and experience BEFORE tearing everything off the engine.

if the smoking exhaust continues to smolder for 10mins after you have turned the engine off park the truck, you have oil or raw fuel burning in the stack .. 

with limited info we can only guess what is wrong and are not really helping you as whatever we say to repair you cannot do the work yourself anyway...

if you let us know which town you are in someone may know of a good/honest shop for you to get to fix it... watch what the guy does and get back to us if you need second opinion or parts suppliers.

we're all behind you, you came to the right place...

BC Mack

BC thank you for looking out, again I apologize I'm not that mechanically sound when it comes to diesel. I've tried uploading images and it keeps giving me an error message. Let me fill you in as to where I'm at with my "diagnosis" lol

Took hoses off going to turbo So i can spin the fan by hand and it spins freely so from what b I've been told the turbo isn't broken.

I removed my fuel filters and it seemed as if my secondary had some water and my primary was half way full with fuel???! Not sure why but I am filling them up as we speak and will put them on and check

Lakewood

small steps..!!!

primary tends to run about half full, consider that normal... not liking the water in sec... that came from the fuel tank... refill the filters with NEW fuel not from tank, when you get it running you need to try and isolate if a particular cylinder is giving you the problem...

not sure if we have determined whether you have a mechanical or electronic engine yet, have we???

it is a Mack 6cyl in line???

you need to do a cylinder cut out test... in general terms, with the engine running crack each of the steel lines that come out of the fuel injection pump, turn the nut about 1 flat and a small stream of fuel will come out, do one at a time and be prepared to add some throttle to keep it running... if you have a dead cylinder the rpm will not change at all, it's just like pulling the spark wires off your car but not as shocking..!!!!

if you think you can determine that one isn't changing the rpm, and the smoke clears up a bit, then you now have to determine if you have a problem in the pump or at the other end of the line the injector has gone bad, lost the tip, or a valve in the head has broken, or a cam issue.... all bets are off if electronic.

my gut feel is you have a cylinder filling up with fuel, that then burns in the manifold and may explain the excessive heat you state near the turbo... but I've been wrong before, a few times in fact..!!! LOL 

if the cut out test doesn't prove one cylinder, then you may have a timing issue in the pump or engine accessory drive.

sorry, just shooting in the dark here but these are tests you should be able to do with basic knowledge

and get that tank seen too, or if you fill from home, check that tank too

BC Mack

Edited by BC Mack

28 minutes ago, BC Mack said:

Lakewood

small steps..!!!

primary tends to run about half full, consider that normal... not liking the water in sec... that came from the fuel tank... refill the filters with NEW fuel not from tank, when you get it running you need to try and isolate if a particular cylinder is giving you the problem...

not sure if we have determined whether you have a mechanical or electronic engine yet, have we???

you need to do a cylinder cut out test... in general terms, with the engine running crack each of the steel lines that come out of the fuel injection pump, turn the nut about 1 flat and a small stream of fuel will come out, do one at a time and be prepared to add some throttle to keep it running... if you have a dead cylinder the rpm will not change at all, it's just like pulling the spark wires off your car but not as shocking..!!!!

if you think you can determine that one isn't changing the rpm, and the smoke clears up a bit, then you now have to determine if you have a problem in the pump or at the other end of the line the injector has gone bad, lost the tip, or a valve in the head has broken, or a cam issue.... all bets are off if electronic.

my gut feel is you have a cylinder filling up with fuel, that then burns in the manifold and may explain the excessive heat you state near the turbo... but I've been wrong before, a few times in fact..!!! LOL 

if the cut out test doesn't prove one cylinder, then you may have a timing issue in the pump or engine accessory drive.

sorry, just shooting in the dark here but these are tests you should be able to do with basic knowledge

BC Mack

It keeps saying upload failed for my pics. So I started it up and it actually was idling normal but when I would.hit the gas black smoke would pour out and the pipe going into exhaust manifold would smoke

47 minutes ago, BC Mack said:

Lakewood

small steps..!!!

BC Mack

Oh sorry it's a mechanical  em7 300

Lakewood

at idle very little fuel goes into the engine but when you rev it up more fuel is added, so, the light grey smoke at idle and black when revved up would indicate moderate/severe over fueling.... so, go ahead with the test I gave, by cracking the pipe at the pump you remove the fuel to a single cylinder, if you give a quick rev and there is no black smoke you have identified the cylinder.

even with these faults, does the engine sound like it is mis-firing??

if there is a break in the turbo boost system you will get no added air to the engine, and black smoke which is unburnt fuel... but you are getting grey at idle so I'm figuring fuel system fault. 

keep us posted.

BC Mack

with air cleaner hose of the turbo start it and run it and see with your eyes if the impeller is spinning 

Grey smoke generally means you have a air restriction on either the air going into the motor or the air going out 

It is most important you check it running with no air cleaner hoses connected to prove that it is on that side 

If that is done and it still blows grey smoke try the exhaust at the turbo just run it for a few seconds 

Once these two tests are done it will prove that these parts are or are not working right

Paul

14 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

with air cleaner hose of the turbo start it and run it and see with your eyes if the impeller is spinning 

Grey smoke generally means you have a air restriction on either the air going into the motor or the air going out 

It is most important you check it running with no air cleaner hoses connected to prove that it is on that side 

If that is done and it still blows grey smoke try the exhaust at the turbo just run it for a few seconds 

Once these two tests are done it will prove that these parts are or are not working right

Paul

When it is started and I Rev it a little smoke is coming out of my exhaust manifold. Not sure if that helps but every mechanic I've spoken to isn't available unt8l next week

Lakewood

did you do the check Paul suggested? pull off the air outlet hose, if the blades aren't spinning when the engine is running it make be broke off on the exhaust side. I know you have already stated the turbo was ok but this will confirm that the exhaust side is still driving it.

smoking exhaust manifold is not usual... if the exhaust can't get out due to a blockage, that's a clue worth following up.. is it some oil just burning or is it forcing it's way past the gasket?

if turbo functions correctly you can take the exhaust manifold off and see if one of the ports is giving off excessive smoke or full of oil as the engine runs

have you done the cylinder cut off check yet?

that should keep you busy until a mechanic turns up.... LOL

BC Mack

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BC Mack said:

Lakewood

did you do the check Paul suggested? pull off the air outlet hose, if the blades aren't spinning when the engine is running it make be broke off on the exhaust side. I know you have already stated the turbo was ok but this will confirm that the exhaust side is still driving it.

smoking exhaust manifold is not usual... if the exhaust can't get out due to a blockage, that's a clue worth following up.. is it some oil just burning or is it forcing it's way past the gasket?

if turbo functions correctly you can take the exhaust manifold off and see if one of the ports is giving off excessive smoke or full of oil as the engine runs

have you done the cylinder cut off check yet?

that should keep you busy until a mechanic turns up.... LOL

BC Mack

I took the air cleaner hose off turbo and checked if blades were spinning and they were.