Fear of . . .Chicken???

41chevy

A gay student group at Duquesne University fears that a proposed Chick-fil-A outpost could jeopardize the school’s safe spaces.  Their feathers were ruffled by news that youngsters would soon be nibbling on  " plump juicy chicken breasts tucked between hot, buttered buns "  mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

https://townhall.com/columnists/toddstarnes/2017/04/11/students-fear-chickfila-might-spark-microaggressions-n2312013?utm_source=thdaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nl&newsletterad=

From the Duke , Duquesne Universities Student Newspaper.

Student group leaders concerned about Duquesne Chick-fil-A

Brandon Addeo|News Editor
The leaders of the DU Lambda Gay Straight Alliance expressed concerns about the addition of a Chick-fil-A on DU’s campus.

Zachary Landau | Asst. A&E Editor

At the March 26 Student Government Association meeting, Senator at Large Niko Martini proposed that the SGA pass a resolution asking the university to reconsider the inclusion of Chick-fil-A as a dining option for students.

Martini is on the Lambda executive board. He clarified that he made the proposal on his own behalf and not Lambda’s.

“Chick-fil-A has a questionable history on civil rights and human rights,” he said in a statement to The Duke. “I think it’s imperative the university chooses to do business with organizations that coincide with the [university’s] mission and expectations they give students regarding diversity and inclusion.”

The SGA Senate did not pass any resolution but agreed to consider an alternate resolution to vett the Chick-fil-A Express, which senators tabled for the April 9 SGA meeting to allow time to research the concerns.

“Lambda’s leadership met recently with Auxiliary Services to share their concerns regarding Chick-Fil-A’s corporate position on LGTBQIA+ issues,” said Alia Pustorino-Clevenger, director for student life assessment and co-curricular community engagement, and also Lambda’s faculty advisor. “They will continue to have meetings in the upcoming weeks with Auxiliary Services and Parkhurst to address this matter further.”

Lambda President Rachel Coury personally said she worries the safety provided by Gay-Straight Alliance might be in jeopardy.

“I’ve tried very hard within the last semester and a half to promote this safe environment for the LGBTQ+ community,” Coury said. “So I fear that with the Chick-fil-A being in Options that maybe people will feel that safe place is at risk.”

Duquesne announced March 20 the addition of the Chick-fil-A Express to the Options Food Court beginning in the upcoming fall semester. The decision to add a Chick-fil-A was a response to student feedback, according to Duquesne spokeswoman Bridget Fare.

“The decision was announced as soon as the due diligence activities, including working with the City on permitting for the renovations, were undertaken and approved,” Fare said.

Chick-fil-A has faced controversy in the past for financially backing organizations that are accused of supporting anti-LGBT rhetoric.

Coury expressed concerns over the company’s history of supporting organizations that “are specifically anti-gay organizations.”

Fare said that the fast food company “has assured [Duquesne] that they do not discriminate.” She also said that “Chick-Fil-A informed the University that they ceased giving to Focus on the Family and Exodus International several years ago and have eliminated corporate donations and established a foundation with focuses on youth and education.”

In a statement provided by Chick-fil-A, Manager of External Communications Amanda Hannah said that the Chick-fil-A Foundation, the company’s philanthropic arm, focuses on youth and education.

“Only organizations directly aligned with that mission are funded,” Hannah said. “Programs with social or political agendas are not included in that giving.”

Reporting from the left-leaning website ThinkProgress revealed that the Chick-fil-A Foundation donated $1,017,610 to the Fellowship of Christian Athletes in 2014.

The FCA has a “Sexual Purity Statement” for its volunteers and staff. It includes stipulations such as, “The Bible is clear in teaching on sexual sin including sex outside of marriage and homosexual acts. Neither heterosexual sex outside of marriage nor any homosexual act constitute an alternative lifestyle acceptable to God.”

Coury is aware of Chick-fil-A’s efforts for inclusivity. However, she would like Duquesne to acknowledge there is still some tension.

“It would be a really big deal for Lambda and the whole LGBTQ community on campus if someone could make a statement to eliminate the fear of being marginalized by having this business on campus,” Coury said.

The response from the Duquesne community to the addition of the Chick-fil-A has been mostly positive, according to Fare.

Students seem to appreciate having extra choices for on-campus dining but are dubious about Chick-fil-A’s dealings.

Madison Seffrin, a senior computer science student, said that she thinks the new addition is “a good thing.”

“I think it gives us another option, and it’s more food choices that make us comparable to other colleges that have a lot more chain restaurants on their campus, which is something I think we lack,” Seffrin said.

When asked about Chick-fil-A’s association with non-profits that expose homophobic rhetoric, Seffrin said that she does not “necessarily” agree with “some of those aspects,” but does think they are “a relatively stand-up company.”

She said she is bound to have some differences of opinion with the company’s policies.

“It’s almost inevitable that a place that closes its doors on a Sunday will also not support some of the things that I support,” Seffrin said.

Similar sentiments were expressed by Alex Slater, a freshman economics student.

“I enjoy Chick-fil-A food and I eat there [in my hometown],” Slater said.

Slater had heard of the controversy surrounding the chain and disapproves of their connections to anti-LGBT groups.

“I don’t believe that should be something they should be involved in,” he said. “But that is something that warrants discussion and if it’s something that people are not comfortable with, that should be discussed as well.”

Chick-fil-A released a statement July 2012 that “going forward” they would “leave the policy debate over same-sex marriage to the government and political arena.” Tax filings for 2012 also showed that the company’s other charitable arm, the WinShape Foundation, has ceased funding to all but one of the groups — the aforementioned FCA — accused of anti-LGBT practices.

SGA President Olivia Erickson expressed her and SGA’s intention to look into Martini’s and Coury’s apprehensions.

“We at SGA take this concern [about the installation of a Chick-fil-A on campus] very seriously,” Erickson said. “We are working on gathering students’ opinions and getting all the facts we can so we can make the best decision.”

“We serve as the voice of the students,” Erickson said. “SGA has a positive relationship with administration in order to function as liaisons for the students.”

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

14 minutes ago, Dirtymilkman said:

I sure do love titties..... 

I guess liberty and guns too! But I don't like beer...  Should I want it banned? 

how about bourbon then?

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

They have a good chicken sandwich, and this being America are entitled to their political viewpoints! There is no law saying the students have to eat there! I have guns and beer,but I don't have titties! Being male I am not unique! Being from Pittsburgh, I seem to recall that Duquesne University is a private Catholic university,highly regarded academically,which is neither here nor there, but I suspect the founders are spinning in their graves hearing of this b.s.! I think the offended students might find their time(and their parents money) are better spent in academic pursuits like studying than worrying about "safe spaces" I agree with Gray hair they are in for a rude awakening in the real world!

The sad thing is if any other religion owned a restaurant chain and set up camp like chic filet nothing would be said because it would be considered discriminatory hate speech. The sad thing is these little douchebags are our going to be running the country someday. Hopefully I'll be too old to care by then. 

• Like 1

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

I ate at a Chikfilla... Once. Slow service, the promised WiFi was MIA, and chicken was no better than McDonalds. And if I want to listen to religious propaganda, I'll tune my radio to that channel.

Every time I tried to go to Chick-fil-A, the parking lot is so full you can't even get it off the road. So I have yet to even attempt it. With the crowd that they're generating, they must be putting mind-control drugs in the chicken...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Each fast food chain has locations that are well run and those which aren't! The Chic Fil A in my area is well run and the food was good! No parking problem! I didn't notice any religious propaganda! I've been in the place three times. I prefer Wendy's! and Hardees for breakfast! The big McDonald's in our area screws up almost every order, but the food is the same as any other location. The small McDonald's is friendlier and better run I attribute this to management!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TeamsterGrrrl said:

Maybe in the more backward regions of the south... There's good reasons besides their bigotry that Chickfulla ain't made it to Minnesota!

Except for the 10 or so of their restaurants that are currently located in MN.  One location is the University of Minnesota. 

• Like 2

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

3 hours ago, Mike said:

Hat did you mean to put the best last?

since it is LGBT, if I change it, the "safe space" won't be big enough

• Like 2

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

4 minutes ago, Bobby j said:

Backwoods regions of the south......what the hell you mean...just because we think marriage should be between one man and one woman doesn't make us backwards ...... it's "FORWARD" thinking people like you that's brought America to where it is today...makes you proud ?  I m one of the proudly clinging to my guns and Bible plain ol joes of this country.....maybe you and the snowflakes should read what the Bible says about homosexuality I personally believe in God and don't think he is a bigot.....my two cents....Bobby j.

Chick fil-A,  Hobby Lobby and Wal-Mart are the three most hated businesses by Liberals, the first two because they have Christian Values.  Wal-Mart is just an easy target for being anti union.

• Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

You good ol' boys might want to check Human Rights Campaign's list of LBGT friendly corporations and note the lack of trucking firms on the list, with the exception of UPS. Is it any wonder the trucking industry has a driver shortage, while UPS gets to pick from the cream of the crop? If you run a business and shut out 20% of potential employees and customers because they're gay or allies, 30% because of the color of their skin, and a few more because you push your religion on them or whatever, is it any wonder that you're short of customers and employees?

I love how almost every post ,since I joined BigMackTrucks,that Teamstergrrrl  comments on always has the opposite opinion of most on here. I think he/she does it mostly to stir things up on here. I feel as though the SGA and associated groups argument has no weight in this discussion. The food chain has all the right to be there if it is legally permitted and allowed on campus by the school's administration. I think trying to stop them is their right I just think the free market will handle the fate of this restaurant. That is the true "American Way"!

• Like 1

You good ol' boys might want to check Human Rights Campaign's list of LBGT friendly corporations and note the lack of trucking firms on the list, with the exception of UPS. Is it any wonder the trucking industry has a driver shortage, while UPS gets to pick from the cream of the crop? If you run a business and shut out 20% of potential employees and customers because they're gay or allies, 30% because of the color of their skin, and a few more because you push your religion on them or whatever, is it any wonder that you're short of customers and employees?

None of that type of discrimination is legal nowadays and any company would be foolish to practice it. Who is the Human Rights Campaign anyway, to tell anyone else how to run their lives or their business?!? Let market forces decide winners and losers in business and society. If people don't like what they hear from corporations, they will choose not to do business with them.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 2