Floorboard rust on 1978 Mack U-Model

Greetings everyone,

I just bought a 1978 U-Model Mack that was formerly operated by Overnite Transportation.  The truck is in great shape with only 278,00 miles.  Unfortunately there is a small amount of rust in the floorboard between driver's seat and door sill and also at the base of the accelerator pedal.  The base of the pedal is completely disconnected because where it normally attaches is a rust hole about 3 inch diameter.  The rest of the floor is solid.  I have looked underneath and everything looks fine from the bottom, just rusted in those 2 small locations.

What is the correct repair for this?  Pictures attached.  Should I just cut out the damaged area and get some sheet metal and weld over the hole?  Apply rustproof from the bottom? 

Thanks for your advice

Rust-in-Floor2.JPG

You can patch it over, but it will never be quite right. The correct repair is to use a cutting disc on a small grinder to cut the rusted area out and then use the cut piece as a pattern to make a piece which can be welded back into the hole. If it is too rusted out to make a pattern then hold a piece of cardboard up to the hole and trace out what you need, cut it out to fit, and then make up the patch piece.

I would wire brush the entire area to remove the loose rust and then paint it with a Chassis Saver or Por-15 type paint. You can also use rust converter and then paint over it.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Welcome to the forums.

Cut out the bad, replace with new.  Cardboard makes great templates.  I too would not undercoat.  Use good paint and be done with it.

Edited by Freightrain

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Welcome! You've stopped  at  the  right  place. We have expert U model guy (umodelnut) in house. That is when he's  not  out chasing the girls in upstate New York!   Al   " Yo, Vinny"

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA