King pin progress today. It fought me but I kept at it. Ready for assembly.

Couple more pics, all went well except for having to use a blunt air chisel to get the thrust button bearing cap to unscrew. It was a bugger. Will get a new used one tomorrow. Home the bushing bores lightly and reassemble. By the way, that last picture is in my living room. I like to have my work close at hand.

IMG_20170326_142558621_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170326_145233512.jpg

• Like 2

Pin is in and is nice and smooth and.000 movement side ways. I like that. Wasn't tat bad just alot of clean up to the knuckle and cleaning the threads that are exposed on the bottom. Turns in by hand now. will recheck it after a few runs.

• Like 1

Remember doing mine 15 yrs ago.   It went much easier then any Ford twin I beam I have worked on.

Splindles.jpg

Note, recheck your gap on the thrust bearing after some miles.  I let mine go for a few years and wondered why I had a real bad shake to the steering wheel.  Come to find out the spindle was jumping up/down on the pin(like .030) because the thrust had worn in.  Put a couple notches on the nut and it was back to smooth again.  Found out I need to check that a bit more often.

Edited by Freightrain
  • Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I am waiting for tires for the Mack ( Steers ) went to a 315 instead of the 385 floats as winter driving seems like it might be better with narrower tires. I plan on adjusting the thrust bearing after some use , thanks for the reminder. Always good feedback on this site. 

Thats why I traveled south to get it, lots of truck to work with. Pretty straight for a 1988 log truck and the rust factor is crucial for me. This truck never saw road salt. Up here in the New England they salt the roads heavy now at the slightest freeze up, trucks frames get hit hard. Still considering a tranny swap but gonna run it for now with the 7 speed. I will say that .6 overdrive is crazy on the open road unloaded!!!