New truck order

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 1/19/2018 at 1:58 PM, bbigrig said:

I'm seeing more and more issues with that M ride spring suspension. Lots of bushing issues.  Mack carriers exploding everywhere as well. I'm shocked. These Mack carriers are dropping like flies.

There will be a redesigned Mack Carrier launched end of 2018-early 2019. The new carrier will go away from single bolt threaded into the carrier housing concept to providing a flat surface on top able to mount the V-Stay with 4-studs.

On 1/23/2018 at 12:15 AM, bts-4120 said:

I've seen Mack chunks fail in on road applications never overloaded either.  Unheard of back in the day  I don't know whose building the rears for Mack now but they need to go back to the drawing board.

Is this other than M-Ride suspension (with V-Stay bolt stripping the carrier threads) you are talking about? What part of Mack carrier chunks are falling off?

I'm seeing more and more issues with that M ride spring suspension. Lots of bushing issues.  Mack carriers exploding everywhere as well. I'm shocked. These Mack carriers are dropping like flies.

On 1/24/2018 at 7:23 AM, kt_Engineer said:

There will be a redesigned Mack Carrier launched end of 2018-early 2019. The new carrier will go away from single bolt threaded into the carrier housing concept to providing a flat surface on top able to mount the V-Stay with 4-studs.

Is this other than M-Ride suspension (with V-Stay bolt stripping the carrier threads) you are talking about? What part of Mack carrier chunks are falling off?

Mack carriers exploding everywhere as well. I'm shocked. These Mack carriers are dropping like flies.

So apparently this exploding issue was a Bolt manufactures fault A  Single bolt that holds the gear to the spur shaft! threads were cut wrong  or something???

AT least that was what I heard or read somewhere!

I have repaired several of these put (  lock tight on the threads  ) did that even when we used the  good  three bolt design!

Still like that Three bolts design better !   If it ain't broke don't  fix it! :D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fjh said:

So apparently this exploding issue was a Bolt manufactures fault A  Single bolt that holds the gear to the spur shaft! threads were cut wrong  or something???

AT least that was what I heard or read somewhere!

The spur shaft bolt issue was internal threads on the Spur shaft being over-size (during heat-treat process of gears) which doesn't properly allow bolt to reach clamp load. Unfortunately, it was supplier creates issue and not design related. But end of the day it didn't matter to customer who was at fault. Now a process has been put in place to not repeat the mistake.

Single bolt design is unique to CRD150/151 carrier family series.

On 1/24/2018 at 9:23 AM, kt_Engineer said:

pinion shaft failure and exiting the side of the housing  no air ride  pavement princess

• 2 weeks later...

My cousin and his best friend (a former master freight driver) never pulled out with less than 96000 gross (in the 73280 days! They never got caught to my knowledge but they did "pay" the Astro had 34000# rears and a lot of drive line stuff wore out plus the aluminum cab structure cracked due to flexing of the frame! My cousin did all his own work so that helped!

• 7 months later...
On 1/26/2018 at 12:46 PM, kt_Engineer said:

The spur shaft bolt issue was internal threads on the Spur shaft being over-size (during heat-treat process of gears) which doesn't properly allow bolt to reach clamp load. Unfortunately, it was supplier creates issue and not design related. But end of the day it didn't matter to customer who was at fault. Now a process has been put in place to not repeat the mistake.

Single bolt design is unique to CRD150/151 carrier family series.

So I thought I would up date this post a little ! The last diff that I repaired And slathered the bolt with RED  locktight lasted approx A year and a half! We replaced that diff with a REMACK Diff That diff lasted 1 Month and a few DAYs !We have since replaced That diff With yet Another REMACK diff at the discretion of the Eservice Guys And Before installation WE Lock tighted the Bolts In Hopes having this poor guy being able to work for a year or so before it blows up again ! 4  Fricking diffs in the time frame of  2 years! Not acceptable in my mind ! Moral of the story! Quit messing with tried and true designs ! Three bolts are better than one! 

• Like 1