Freightrain to the Blue Oval Phone

41chevy

You going to be at the  NMRA FORD SUPERNATIONALS  at National Trail Raceway, Hebron,  in early June?  I'm running my SVT there  after final dyno  and tune at George Montgomery's in Akron.  Close to you?

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Paul, I don't have plans on attending the NMRA event.  I used to go to the Labor Day event back when it was the Ford club(PFCA)..  It closed down and NMRA took it over.  It went down hill and I quit going a few years ago.  National Trails is right at 2 hours from me.

I'm in Canton, Ohio.  Work in Barberton.  Where in Akron is George's place?  Only place online I see is Dayton.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Freightrain do you truck out of Barberton? or do you have some other type of job? The reason I ask is my best friend who lives in Champion says they closed all the Ohio scales, and the DOT uses roving units and goes into truckstops and wakes drivers up in the am to check their books and equipment randomly!! I didn't ask if  he meant they totally closed them or if they just prefer to leave them closed and use roving units! I used to run a "big shot" out of Champion and mostly hauled insulation out of Tallmadge from UC Industries,That was in the late eighties and early nineties.At that time Ohio definitely was using their scales,because I spent a good bit of time dodging them! If they are going onto private property checking trucks randomly it raises a lot of constitutional issues! In my 35 years of driving I've only seen the DOT come into a truck stop once or twice to persue a specific truck!

18 hours ago, 41chevy said:

You going to be at the  NMRA FORD SUPERNATIONALS  at National Trail Raceway, Hebron,  in early June?  I'm running my SVT there  after final dyno  and tune at George Montgomery's in Akron.  Close to you?

Paul,

Is this place north of Akron (just north of 303) on Route 8 near Boston Heights?

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Fontana?  That had me cornfuzed.  It's on Fortuna LOL!!   I know where that is exactly.  Right behind Camper World where I bought my trailer 20 yrs ago.  It's off Arlington Rd exit(120 mm) on Rt 77.  Pretty easy to get in / out of.  About 15 minute from my house, and it's half way between my house and work.  I used to cut across that way.  Let me know your schedule and we can hook up.

There is suppose to be another big dyno house in Akron, off Kelly drive.  The Willys I'm working on was just up there a couple weeks ago.  They have a big number chassis dyno also.  I would have to ask the name.

Here is a quick clip of the Willys after unloading it from the trip to the dyno:

BillyT.  I work at a machine shop in Barberton( Bar-beer-ton for others.  Lots of Bars, lots of Beer, and the women all weigh a TON) for 31 yrs now.  I only play truck driver on the weekends when I'm going to the races.  Yes, they have been cutting back on the scale houses.  The one on East bound 224(by Seville) is closed, West is still open.  South 77(by Boliver) is open, north is closed(or it is the other way around?).  North 71, above Columbus is closed(by rt 36).   Pretty sure the border houses are still open, just the internal ones are not getting rebuilt.

I'm pretty sure they aren't waking guys up at rest stops and truck stops, but they do catch them on the road.  I know the rest area out on eastbound rt 30 by Upper Sandusky is a hot spot.  See lots of red tags on truck sitting in there when I go buy.  I'm guessing they catch them on the road, pull them into the stop and do a check. That way they are not on the highway and have a chance to get run over.

Edited by Freightrain
  • Like 1

Larry

4 hours ago, Freightrain said:

Fontana?  That had me cornfuzed.  It's on Fortuna LOL!!   I know where that is exactly.  Right behind Camper World where I bought my trailer 20 yrs ago.  It's off Arlington Rd exit(120 mm) on Rt 77.  Pretty easy to get in / out of.  About 15 minute from my house, and it's half way between my house and work.  I used to cut across that way.  Let me know your schedule and we can hook up

I'll  do that. Should be close to June 5.

I hate tuna, so I block out 4tuna. 

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Thanks for the comeback Freightrain! That's what I figured! The one on 71 by Delaware got me 1500 over on the drive in 74 the same day that that tornado leveled the town of Zenia I just missed that debacle! Was driving an R model for J V Mcnicholas out of Youngstown they let me go on the 1500, that's two bullets I dodged that day! We've probably crossed paths, from 74 to 79  I was hauling new Ford's out of Pittsburgh and I hit the dealer on 77 in Canton, New Philly,Louisville, virtually every little town in Oh,Pa W va and Pa has a Ford dealer! Is Quaker City your home track with the Willys gasser? My friend who told me about the  scales used to run there, he's semi retired now but is on Cody Bayuses IHRA team.

I run Quaker, but not on regular basis.  I hate that hill personally.

The Willys is not mine.  I'm building it for a fellow.  A friend started the project 5 yrs ago doing most of the basic fab work.  I got pulled in to do build the wiring harness and it just went from there.  I hope to have it completed this summer(so does the owner).

• Like 1

Larry

41, the automotive aftermarket is filled with Chinese knock off crap, my late son in law ordered a Summit branded four barrel manifold for his El Camino about seven yrs ago, made in China! He assumed a product from " the great American racing store" would be American made wrong! 

On 3/16/2017 at 8:34 PM, 41chevy said:

Methanol, nitrous and 40+ pounds of boost. . . what can go wrong? :thumb:

Go wrong?  Uh, well, several things come to mind but I hope not!  After the event please post some pics or better yet some video...

5 hours ago, grayhair said:

Go wrong?  Uh, well, several things come to mind but I hope not!  After the event please post some pics or better yet some video...

We bought a go pro just for this event and the dyno pull numbers as proof of power.   Paul

• Like 2

P.T.CHESHIRE

When Cody Bayus won the 2014 Summit IHRA  nationals at Memphis Summit gave him a brand new rail, plus ten grand and a trip to Aruba! Codys trailer only held one car and Summit had an mt trailer going back to Akron! For some reason they wouldn't haul the car he just won back to Ohio! His team caught a ride part way with another racer and had to drop his car in Ohio and go back and pick up the new race car!What a deal!

On 3/18/2017 at 10:28 PM, BillyT said:

When Cody Bayus won the 2014 Summit IHRA  nationals at Memphis Summit gave him a brand new rail, plus ten grand and a trip to Aruba! Codys trailer only held one car and Summit had an mt trailer going back to Akron! For some reason they wouldn't haul the car he just won back to Ohio! His team caught a ride part way with another racer and had to drop his car in Ohio and go back and pick up the new race car!What a deal!

Marino's Italian Ices,  Muscle Cars Speed Shops and Bayside Chrysler Plymouth sponsored my funnycar in 1974. Won the IHRA Funnycar Spring Nationals at New York National Speedway, I got a $500 dollar check and a trophy. Big whoop.Didn't even get to kiss the bimbo FYI the remains of my funnycar is at Don Garlits Museum in Florida.   Near You?.

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 2

P.T.CHESHIRE

6 hours ago, Freightrain said:

I was at Garlits back in about 1990?  Got a few pics from inside.

I brought my complete less engine and 727 Fuller Chassis and Fiberglas trends 72 Satellite body with all the tin to him is 2014. He was almost done with his resto of the AMT Piranha. Got to spend time and b.s. for a few hours. Talked about my popped blower record of 140 feet, Ivo's blow over NY national in 1970 and his blow over with Swamp Rat XXX. He's is just plain nice.   Paul

Edited by 41chevy

P.T.CHESHIRE

33 minutes ago, 41chevy said:

He's is just plain nice.

Yes he is a very nice guy, a class act.  Love that museum.  I was there in late 2015 about and took a picture with him.  He was in the process of updating an electric dragster he had built.  Haven't talked to him since so don't know where that project stands today.

Garlits 2.jpg

Edited by grayhair
  • Like 1

Best to date is 185.60 mph in 7.274 seconds  with only 2000 h.p. electric motor.

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

I suggested with gearing change he could maybe set a new Bonneville electric car record.  He didn't reply to that but it would be great to see him do it.   The current records are getting stale. The E2 record is going to be 20 years old this summer.

/E 1 (vehicle weight under 1099 lbs.)  BYU Streamer J. Burkdoll 9 /14 204.893

/E2 (vehicle weight 1100 to 2200 lbs.) Lighting Rod R. Ranneberg 10/97 213.084

/E3 (vehicle weight 2201 lbs. and over) Buckeye Bullet R. Schroer 10/04 314.958

41, my old terminal was on the same exit as Garlits in Bellevue Florida, been past it dozens of times! 70 miles  from my house! Ill get there someday, always wanted to see the powertrain on IVOS four engine dragster! Will look for your stuff too! My buddy used to be on a top fuel team ran Garlits in the 60s or 70s! Garlits threw away a couple worn out slicks my buddy carried them back to Ohio, they ended up at the original Quaker Steak and Lube in Pa!

• Like 1

you guys are making me feel pretty small about the engine i built this winter for a project....lol 

nothing special 4bolt main truck block vortec heads with some very mild exaust side porting, roller rockers lt-4 hot cam 9.5:1 compression. will probably make 370-380 on a engine dyno on a good day. 

its going to go into my jaguar xjs convertible combined with a 700-r4

built it low compression because i may run a power adder on later either no2 or a small roots style blower.

my goal is to have a good street car that can run a mid to high 12s 1/4 mile well actually first goal is to have a car that runs at all good ole lucas took the car off the road a little while back.

2016-12-18 12.16.04.jpg

• Like 2