VMAC Interface tool/software

I pmed with another member and he mentioned Kent Moore serial link adapter with a laptop and the VMAC software.  I googled it up and came up with a bunch of different stuff and no idea what I was looking at.

What is the best software and interface and what does the scan tool look like.  I just want something I can pull and reset codes if I get one. 

For use with my 1992 E7 400 VMAC I

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

A prolink 9000 with the vmac 1 cartridge will do what you want to do plus setting parameters and look at  switch status  Bla bla! Good unit

The otc hd code reader will also read and clear codes I have a Mac tools HD code reader works well for it ( SAME as OTC) You can't program just read and clear! The V Mack software is  a half decent but I think you got to buy it thru mack IF They still offer it! 

Sadly all our old Pro Link stuff wore out and we now use  the Mack Tech Tool/VCADS  program  on VMAC 1 and VMAC 2 and its horrible to navigate and do anything.  Excluding our wrecker , we only work on 1 or 2 of the older VMAC's  a year. The Pro Link stuff if you can still get it is the best. 

Google prolink 9000

A prolink 9000 with the vmac 1 cartridge will do what you want to do plus setting parameters and look at  switch status  Bla bla! Good unit

The otc hd code reader will also read and clear codes I have a Mac tools HD code reader works well for it ( SAME as OTC) You can't program just read and clear! The V Mack software is  a half decent but I think you got to buy it thru mack IF They still offer it! 

Dam! I see it plugs into the pigtail off of the pump?! If that's the case someone cut mine out and tied the wires together so I guess it won't do me any good. Any recommendations for someone in my position?

So the VMAC I is early version OBD?  

I found a bunch of China knock offs that support heavy duty trucks OBD II but the notes say they are for 1996 and newer.  

Has anyone used another scanner than the hard to find and expensive Kent Moore/Pro-Link readers?

I found a scan tool $150, data cord $146, VMAC disk/insert $350 but no power cord yet and that is used with no returns.

Robert

If all you want to do is read active codes you can turn the cruise switch off and hold the acc/dec rocker switch down for a few seconds and let off and the light will start blinking a 2 digit code out and ck the code numbers to get the active code , if you fix the problem the light will go off and does not have to be reset, you cannot pull out inactive codes only active codes when the light stays on.  You can check it out how it works by unplug your low water sensor or the Tach sensor on the flywheel and the low water sensor should put a code 17 when you blink it out.  The flywheel sensor will put a 2 digit code out but I cannot remember it. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the info I asked Mack about resetting the codes they said needed a tool.  I didn't know how true that was as from what I can find it is a primitive system.  Really all you need is a copy of the VMAC I codes and the light to work.  

Is the codes the same for the VMAC I, II, III, IVs?

On 3/11/2017 at 9:35 AM, br549 said:

If all you want to do is read active codes you can turn the cruise switch off and hold the acc/dec rocker switch down for a few seconds and let off and the light will start blinking a 2 digit code out and ck the code numbers to get the active code , if you fix the problem the light will go off and does not have to be reset, you cannot pull out inactive codes only active codes when the light stays on.  You can check it out how it works by unplug your low water sensor or the Tach sensor on the flywheel and the low water sensor should put a code 17 when you blink it out.  The flywheel sensor will put a 2 digit code out but I cannot remember it. 

Robert

• 3 weeks later...

I know that a 6-2 code in Vmac1 is a death code which means your Bosch module is toast. A 6-2 in vmac 3 I believe is a turbo sensor, so I do believe they change. Mine went out and put a used module in, but have my old one. Still trying to find a place to send it to to rebuild it so I have a back-up 

• 1 year later...