16 CXU update. First major repair

Good morning fellow Mack owners/fans.   I have not posted anything of my own for a while in regards to my 16 CXU so figured it was time for an update.   The truck now has 220 000 miles on it.   It has been running up and down the road, performing well, and I am very happy with my fuel economy.   As some of you may know, I pull a reefer van.  I run the I 15 corridor from California to the Canadian border and North.   I am ALWAYS 75, 000-80, 000 lbs gross.  My average for the last 220 000 miles (166 fuel ups) is 7.40 US mpg.  Keep in mind that is 2 winters and only 1 summer in that number.  About 2 months ago while greasing, I noticed oil at the back of the pan.  Upon further investigation, I could see it was coming from higher up and leaking down around the bell housing.  Knowing warranty is running out on most things at this point, I immediately brought it to my dealer.  I was informed there are 2 timing cover gaskets at the back of the motor.  Apparently it was the "big one" that was leaking.   They said it's a major job to replace and they would need the truck for a full week!  The transmission needs to come out, the timing gears come off etc.....I couldn't believe how something could be designed that would require that kind of labor to replace a gasket!  It's Volvo's fault I'm sure haha.  I dropped it off first thing Tuesday morning and picked it up the following Monday evening.   Everything seems to have been fixed well and put back together correctly from what I can tell in the first 1000 miles since the repair so Kudos to Mack Manitoba up to this point anyways.   The service advisor showed me the pages of work performed and the grand total at the bottom of parts and labor would have been 8100 CAD!  Whew!  Glad that still came in under warranty.   Anyways, back to making money and truck seems to be running better then ever as I think it got a top end set included in the job.   That's it for now. 

Until next time!

• Like 1