How to remove steering wheel

2000 rd688 the steering wheel is so far off Center it's not comfortable driving I'd like to remove it and turn it back around..I tried to remove the shaft by unbolting it butilizes it has a slot the bolt goes back in and can't move it..so does the horn cap pop off or I need to pop the center that's kinda soft off ..thanks 

Wot us back yarders do:

Takes 2 ppl, BF Hammar block of wood

the strongest person with all there might grabs the big steersmans wheel n lift to remove from under the spoke of wheel etc

the other person hits a piece of wood with the BF Hammar directly on the threaded steering column shaft

WamBamThankUMam

Your Welcum

cya

§wishy

no mention of wandering ! but somthing is amiss either the wheel has been off before & reinstalled with the wheels not straight or steering box changed & not lined up or there is a problem in the box its self or wrong drag link installed.  why i say find out first what is going on

. also a broken center bolt in driver side spring can cause what is described

Edited by carlotpilot

No wondering at all I'm thinking it's been off before..I just got this Truck not long ago about 3 weeks drives great just off Center..I'd like to place it back to center so my arm isn't straight all the time trying to hold on to the metal in the middle lol

My 2 cents worth sez:

Drive truck on full lock and measure turning circle where the tyres tuch n mark the rd  n do same on other lock n compare both measurments

If the steering shaft in not continuous n has a uni half way along..... undo uni and rotate 180n bung it back together (may fix it or worse)

YourWelcum

cya

§wishy

I tried taking the top section off but put it back cause when I removed the bolt it had a groove cut in it for the bolt to keep it on place..I didn't try to remove the bottom cause I figured it was the same as the top ..now it may not be so I will check it out..as far as the turning radius lol its no as much as I'm use to..I'm thinking cause my other truck is a tri axle with 16foot bed my mack is a quad with 19foot and about 2foot from cab..so I figured it's the reason it don't turn as good..but I will check it out to see thanks for the information on that

Has it had new front springs at some stage? On mine I found when I installed new springs and after they settled in it moved to wheel off centre a bit. 

Are there bump stops for when your at full lock? If it's touching on both sides when you turn then I would think it's ok and just wheel position. 

She is a big girl! Nice looking rig. I had a mate who put new springs on the front as well and he had to adjust steering wheel after a while. I think I'd try what swishy says, or use a puller of some sort and use some rags to protect the steer wheel edges. 

You can use an Harmonic Balancer puller (one with the bolts). Steering wheel is usually drilled for the puller bolts. Remove horn sounder pad, thread bolts through yoke into wheel and then use forcing screw against shaft to pull wheel .

Next time you have the truck out take notice where the wheel sits when you're going down a straight stretch of road. Site it up with something (spoke in relation to turn signal switch arm)? anything so you can remember where to position it before you pull the wheel. That way you can pull it and reposition it to where you want it to be when you're going straight down the road.

Ron

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

When I put the air steering on my B, my wheel was out of whack and I couldn't two hand shift it because the spoke was in the way.  Loosen nut, put knees under the wheel and push up.  Take a whack at the shaft(or use an air hammer like me).  Presto, wheel comes off.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

4 hours ago, Mike said:

Oh!......BTW......when taking the horn button loose, try not knocking off the rubber dog ears cause if you do then it is harder or never get the horn to work.

This is what I'm worried about..

Do I remove the center plastic or do the big hard plastic come off ..

What style wheel does it have?
If it's a 2000 I thought it would be a 2 spoke soft touch wheel.
In that case just pry the center (trapezoid shaped) piece out of the wheel, it just snaps in with metal clips and unplug the wire.

Ron

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If someone at one time replaced the u-joints in the shaft near the box, they may have not aligned it back to the same spot.  The box has fine splines and the bolt will work in any position. Input shaft on left side of picture.s-l1600.jpg

Live every day like it's your last, because one of these days, it will be.

8 hours ago, MACKTRUCKS4 said:

If someone at one time replaced the u-joints in the shaft near the box, they may have not aligned it back to the same spot.  The box has fine splines and the bolt will work in any position. Input shaft on left side of picture.s-l1600.jpg

That is why I try to mark with a yellow grease pencil when disassembly, for reassembly.

• Like 1