Tag or Pusher lift axle on Dump Truck?

15 minutes ago, MACKS said:

The idea is to make money so keep the truck u have in my opinion,that's why I added the drop to my CL when the weight laws changed,58 rears n all,gets the job done with ease,my buddy did the same and his truck is an 85  RD,we got the toughest trucks around lol and we work almost ever day..Good luck and keep us posted.

for a owner-operator or small fleet nothing better than an older all mechanical truck,    terry:D

• Like 1

On 2/26/2017 at 2:10 AM, kscarbel2 said:

An 8x2*6 would be an efficient set up, while at the same time providing optimum weight distribution for reduced road wear.

Twin Steer (front axles)

6 wheel steering (twin steer plus the steered tag)

Lockable differential on the drive.

Or a 10x4*6 (tandem drive bogie with steered tag)

But that would make too much sense!

I'm amazing that a twin steer is considered "exotic" and thus overpriced here in North America when it really doesn't cost much more to build than a steerable pusher or tag. Never made sense to me why someone would build monstrosities with but one steered axle, two fixed drive axles, and as many as 4 axles controlled by nothing more than big steering dampers. Seems like the only maker that gets it here in North America is Daimler's Western Star, they quoted a twin steer for little more than the price of a steerable pusher or tag... Mack and the rest generally quote a $30k or more upcharge for a twin steer.

• Like 1

I'm not saying buy new, that's a questionable strategy for a truck that will work only one shift a day part of the year. But a 10 year old Granite will run rings around a Superliner and get better MPG doing it. As for electronic controls they have many advantages such as better cold starting, diagnostics, and fuel economy... You just have to get the diagnostic software and learn the skills to use it. When you invest in quarter century old obsolete technology you run the risk of losing your entire investment when something like the engine that costs more to rebuild than the truck is worth fails or you can't get parts anymore... Better to have something 10 to 20 years old you can still get parts for.

used to be a guy in frederickburg va that had a 7 axle set up 2 behind the drives and 2 in front 

That type of set up is not uncommon in our area for the trucks hauling stone out of the local quarries. I have never had the chance to ask one of the owners about the trucks, but apparently the extra weight they can carry makes up for the added expense and weight of the set up. One local operator is running three new KW's with that set up.

VA is very strict about weight laws, so you see some strange configurations used to comply like bodies set way behind the cab.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!