Sign in to follow this  
gumbiegumbie

Hard starting after parked for a few days.

After my truck sets for a few days you have to start it with ether. Once you start it you can start it easily the rest of the day and maybe even the next day. The truck was smoking a little bit too much leading me to believe the injector tips we're not sealing good and I had some more I wanted to put in any way and that fixed the smoking but not the cranking. The line between the heads isn't leaking and the line from the front head around to the block isnt leaking so I'm thinking it has to be the check valve letting the fuel rail drain back to the tank. Am I on the right track? Oh yeah, it's a 2001 etech.

Edited by gumbiegumbie
Content

I would first verifie that lack of fuel is the problem,before u start it after a few days sitting crack a line at the pump and while someone cranks it over see if you have fuel.

If fuel is there, what would you look at next. It's cranking like when you run out of fuel or change a filter without filling it up. That's why I think it's fuel. Just trying to figure out whatsomething letting it drain back. The little line coming from the head is on the tank side of the check valve so how does that work? 

look at the exhaust when you are trying to start it, does it have any smoke if little to no smoke then fuel is lacking  

Something simple like a bad oring on fuel filter?

A tiny pln hole in a fuel line would let the fuel drain back.

I have a davco fuel filter and you can see the fuel in it so I had dismissed the fuel supply line. That might be incorrect thinking? I just changed my other 2 spin-on fuel filters and it done it before and after so not sure about the filter o-ring. I guess next I'll change all the short lines that go back and forth across the top of the motor to the filters and fuel pump and back to the block. If it sucks air when the motor is off wouldn't it be messy when it was running and had pressure? 

On 2/17/2017 at 10:08 AM, gumbiegumbie said:

I have a davco fuel filter and you can see the fuel in it so I had dismissed the fuel supply line. That might be incorrect thinking? I just changed my other 2 spin-on fuel filters and it done it before and after so not sure about the filter o-ring. I guess next I'll change all the short lines that go back and forth across the top of the motor to the filters and fuel pump and back to the block. If it sucks air when the motor is off wouldn't it be messy when it was running and had pressure? 

I've had a bag fuel line that didn't leak whin running but let the fuel drain down when not,just crack open a line before starting to see if that's the problem then go from there. I've fixed a lot of things that weren't broke in my days. lol

• Like 1

I had a cracked line on my RD the one that ran around the front of the engine I had the same problem until they changed out the line then no more problem.

plastic return line that returns from the head back to the return line  its about 2ft long and will cause this   its pretty common

Yup that was the culprit on my truck.

On 2/17/2017 at 5:36 PM, bts-4120 said:

plastic return line that returns from the head back to the return line  its about 2ft long and will cause this   its pretty common

What is the routing of this plastic line.  Which side of engine, to where?  I may have a similar problem that I'm chasing.

sorry for the slow reply  on passanger side of the motor it runs for the head down to a fitting by the unit pumps it tees  back into the fuel line

Edited by bts-4120