1981 F-700 test truck

barbe

19 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

An absolutely beautiful truck.

I question though if it was built in 1981. The last year of FL/FS production was 1975.

We sold a lot of raised roof F-models in the global market.

One of One.  Year of manufacture was 1973,  sold and titled in 1981. Last production of F models shows as 1981   

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I think its test truck because of the "Organic Rankine Cycle"  It was a topic that mrsmackpaul started in July 2014.  Was very interesting.

In my opinion, it makes this a special truck.  I hope it goes to a deserving home .

Heres the link to the thread. 

https://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/36444-organic-rankine-cycle/#comment-253827

• Like 1

Keith 

3 hours ago, 85snowdog said:

I think its test truck because of the "Organic Rankine Cycle"  It was a topic that mrsmackpaul started in July 2014.  Was very interesting.

In my opinion, it makes this a special truck.  I hope it goes to a deserving home .

Heres the link to the thread. 

https://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/36444-organic-rankine-cycle/#comment-253827

Seems to me its like hanging a heat pump on the exhaust. . .amiright?

Fun is what they fine you for!

My name is Bob Buckman sir,. . . and I hate truckers.

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

My vote for F model... Trucks should be welded, not riveted.

Don't forget us MH owners, we're glued together..!!!

Another vote for that high cab F model....

If none of you Americans buy it, I'll just have to export it... to Canada.!!!!!!

BC Mack

• Like 1

The MH "glued together" Cabover was proven to be one of the safest Cabovers ever built! When I drove for Ryder Systems one of their Coleman camper  leased trucks an MH,mack hit a KW Cabover head on at 35 mph in a Pa tpke tunnel one lane restriction! The KW driver was killed,but the Mack  driver received serious injuries and survived! Mack was so impressed that they sent some engineers to the Ryder terminal to view the wreckage! I spoke to the Mack driver who was walking around with a cane! I've driven a lot of cabovers,but the MH was the most comfortable! I only drove one F model but I prefer their looks to the   cruiseliner                       Strictly an opinion, we all have our favorite trucks! 

• Like 2

The F model certainly has nice body lines. But there is no denying that the WS & MH have more interior room. The MH must have the  tallest interior in the sleeper area.  Just hope you dont need windshields for an F. I hear they are pricey.  Was it 19 or 20 year production on the F model?   Only 8 years for the WS.

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!

1 hour ago, ws721 said:

The F model certainly has nice body lines. But there is no denying that the WS & MH have more interior room. The MH must have the  tallest interior in the sleeper area.  Just hope you dont need windshields for an F. I hear they are pricey.  Was it 19 or 20 year production on the F model?   Only 8 years for the WS.

The F-model was/is heavy. But aside like that, it fit you like your favorite old pair of work gloves and never let you down. You could "feel it", like an extension of your body. And it made every owner a lot of money. The Cruise-Liner was clumsy and clunky, always having some ongoing problem. The Ultra-Liner was so advanced, such a home run, that it should still be in production today.

When I see brand new 9800i, Argosy and the superb K200 tractors on the roads of the world today, well, most folks back home have no idea. And isn't it ironic that American COEs continue to be sold in the global market but not in North America.

I'll take a COE any day over a conventional. I could talk about visibility, maneuverability, accessibility, and efficiency, but it's the driving position that really sways you. Once in a COE, it's hard to go back to a conventional.

38 minutes ago, kscarbel2 said:

The F-model was/is heavy. But aside like that, it fit you like your favorite old pair of work gloves and never let you down. You could "feel it", like an extension of your body. And it made every owner a lot of money. The Cruise-Liner was clumsy and clunky, always having some ongoing problem. The Ultra-Liner was so advanced, such a home run, that it should still be in production today.

When I see brand new 9800i, Argosy and the superb K200 tractors on the roads of the world today, well, most folks back home have no idea. And isn't it ironic that American COEs continue to be sold in the global market but not in North America.

I'll take a COE any day over a conventional. I could talk about visibility, maneuverability, accessibility, and efficiency, but it's the driving position that really sways you. Once in a COE, it's hard to go back to a conventional.

I've only ever run 1 conventional. A IH 9300 Prosleeper. Liked it. I started out with a 1984 Pete 362 Dbl bunk. Then a IH 9670 Dbl bunk. I'm running 3 IH 9670's and my 83 Cruiseliner now. So I know what you saying. Plus, I have to admit, I like the "old school" look and the attention they draw. Back in the mid 80's, our first truck was a 82 Cruiseliner.  Kind of come full circle for me now. My 81 F was a toy hauler. Didn't like climbing into the bunk as well as the Cruiseliners. The "Eastcoast" Cruiseliners had more room. Like you say the MH is a very fine truck. If only Mack had built em in a Dbl bunk. 

• Like 2

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!

5 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

Hostess was a 99% COE fleet until the mid 80s when conventionals started creeping in. Many of the drivers preferred the old cabovers and hung on to them 'til they were scrapped despite being offered new conventionals. Same at UPS, I remember high seniority drivers who hung on to the MHs until they were scrapped.

Edited by TeamsterGrrrl
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

If some one does buy it let me know, I sourced another magazine with the article in it about the this truck and dropped you message once but never heard back so if a new owner wants it when they get the truck tell them to drop me a message and I'll send it them if they want it

Paul