Air start tank acquisition

Freightrain

Well, parts are starting to accumulate.  I made a trip Sunday morning and picked this up:

IMG_20170212_111123_082_zpscjlmmr09.jpg

Complete take off from a late model truck(likely a CCX truck from the color).  I have a tank already, but needed the mounts, so Bubba gave me a whole set up this time.  Includes valve and glad hand hook up to charge it. I got it stripped apart and will have the mounts sandblasted and powder coated black.  The straps will be silver.  I'm going to use the other tank as it is in slightly better shape.  The tank will be coated silver to match my new aluminum fuel tanks.

• Like 2

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

The orange tank is about 15 yrs old.  I'm not using that one.  

Glenn, that was my thought.  I need to make a plate with a hook to be able to powder coat it anyway, so I was going to seal it and test it.

Larry

Well, I took the control valve off the orange tank and installed it on the other tank.  I installed a pressure gauge in one of the other fittings in the tank.  I filled it up to about 80# of pressure and marked the gauge with a sharpie.  We will see if tomorrow where the pressure is.  I did not plug the inlet side of the valve, I'm relying solely on the check valve to see if it is up to snuff.

Larry

58 minutes ago, dogg rescue said:

If that tank isn't up to specs I've got an aluminum one I would part with.

So far this morning, still has 80# in it.  Didn't drop overnight, I'm leaving it til the weekend.  Looks like a keeper.  I'd really like an alum tank, but getting it to Ohio?  I wonder if the OD is the same as my steel tank, so it would work in my brackets?

Al:

mack_diesel_fuel_tank.gif

It won't be polished like that per say(until I get it-they don't offer polishing on sq tanks), but I gave them a full drawing of my stock tank and they are going off it.  Their picture on the website was a near perfect match.  I wanted round tanks, like a B tank, but they don't offer a step in it like original.  I was going to fudge it with a smaller tank and use std strap steps like I've seen on a few B models.  Looks okay.  Then I started to add up the price of everything and I decided to stay with square tanks.  I got some money burning a hole in my pocket, just not THAT much!  BTW, my steel tanks are pretty bad shape.  The drivers side is leaking again, I've patched them both up a few times in the last 15 yrs.  It's time to upgrade.

I asked them if they would make the main body out of diamond plate so it would match my genset box and rear fenders.  They said they couldn't do it.  I thought one of the old High Point trucks had diamond plate tanks on it and it looked nice.

Larry

I'll check mine tonight and see what the actual diameter is.

I see the one has a threaded bung?  Is that air to the solenoid/starter?  Mine has a bolt on flange fitting.   Maybe that is how they do the aluminum tanks?

Larry

Well mine comes in about 26", using a level across the top and measuring down to the floor.  So yours would fit my brackets.  I forgot to look at my control valve and if I could convert it to thread on.  I'll check that this weekend.

BTW, still at 80# today.

Larry

On 2/17/2017 at 5:28 AM, Freightrain said:

I'll check mine tonight and see what the actual diameter is.

I see the one has a threaded bung?  Is that air to the solenoid/starter?  Mine has a bolt on flange fitting.   Maybe that is how they do the aluminum tanks?

I went and had a look at my air start tank and its like a 1 inch water pipe thread so thats about 1 1/4 inches OD I didnt measure it and my tank  is steel

I wonder if the flange tanks have a bladder in them like a water pressure system tank ????

Paul

No, both mine are just metal tanks.  Nothing inside.  The flange just makes for a nice sealing surface and a solid mount for the valve.  It's a four bolt pattern with split collar, typically I've seen for hydraulic hoses.

Larry

Going on a week, still 80# in it.

I looked at my valve and it is a bolt on style only.  I can't use it on a threaded fitting style tank.  I thought the valve was screwed onto the mount.  Nope, one piece.

Larry

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I now have an aluminum air tank, thanks to Mark.  I have my brackets getting powder coated.

I aired the tank up to see how it held.  It leaked down pretty fast so I picked up a renew kit for the valve today and I'll get that assembled and retest the tank this weekend.  I'm pretty sure it should be okay now.  I also ordered an air push button to operate the valve.  Never guess how hard those are to come by these days.   Cross truck didn't have it, Freightliner didn't have it, Mack didn't have one.  I ended up back at Freightliner as they seemed to be the most responsive about actually wanting to order it for me.  The lady behind the counter was actually "giddy" about air starters.  She says every time she watches Maximum Overdrive she has to rewind it a couple times when the old White wrecker starts!!!  I told her I know the movie well.  I might have to drive the truck down and let her hear it once I get it put on this summer.

I ordered my new fuel tanks the other day from Alumitank, so I will be getting those mid next week also.  If/when I get the brackets back from powdercoat(man, he sure is slowwwwww).  I ordered a polishing kit and a 5.3hp Dewalt grinder to shine the fuel tanks and the alum starter tank.  Not that I'm looking forward to that mess, but I can't wait to see them on the truck all shined up.

Edited by Freightrain
  • Like 1

Larry

5 minutes ago, Freightrain said:

Well, I now have an aluminum air tank, thanks to Mark.  I have my brackets getting powder coated.

I aired the tank up to see how it held.  It leaked down pretty fast so I picked up a renew kit for the valve today and I'll get that assembled and retest the tank this weekend.  I'm pretty sure it should be okay now.  I also ordered an air push button to operate the valve.  Never guess how hard those are to come by these days.   Cross truck didn't have it, Freightliner didn't have it, Mack didn't have one.  I ended up back at Freightliner as they seemed to be the most responsive about actually wanting to order it for me.  The lady behind the counter was actually "giddy" about air starters.  She says every time she watches Maximum Overdrive she has to rewind it a couple times when the old White wrecker starts!!!  I told her I know the movie well.  I might have to drive the truck down and let her hear it once I get it put on this summer.

I ordered my new fuel tanks the other day from Alumitank, so I will be getting those mid next week also.  If/when I get the brackets back from powdercoat(man, he sure is slowwwwww).  I ordered a polishing kit and a 5.3hp Dewalt grinder to shine the fuel tanks and the alum starter tank.  Not that I'm looking forward to that mess, but I can't wait to see them on the truck all shined up.

You realize that this is going to lead to a re paint. . . :)

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Ya.  All this shiny stuff to blend in with the rust! 

I got the valve rebuilt this morning and aired the tank.  I tried the valve using my blow gun.  Wow....that makes a hell of a bang of air out the hole!!  Guess it works.  I will check back tonight to see if it is holding pressure.

IMG_20170311_081433_539.jpg

Larry