Volvo cancels D16; Mack cancels Titan tractor

kscarbel2

Sean Kilcarr, Fleet Owner  /  January 23, 2017

Diminishing demand reason why Volvo cancelled its D16 engine and Mack stopped Titan production for North America.

In a mid-day memo to its dealer network last Friday, Volvo Trucks announced that it will no longer be selling its 16-liter D16 engine in the North American market anymore, citing “diminishing demand” as the reason for the cancellation.

Introduced into the U.S. back in 2005, the D16 offered displacement of 550 to 625 hp – mainly at heavy haul applications.

By extension, this also means Volvo’s brother company, Mack Trucks will no longer be offering its large displacement MP10 engine, which is based on the D16.

Mack is also discontinuing sales of its Titan heavy haul tractor as well.

“The decision is the result of limited market demand for this engine displacement and the long-term investment that would be required to maintain the D16 for the unique operating requirements of the North American market,” Brandon Borgna, spokesman for Volvo Trucks, told Fleet Owner.

“We also continue to see a general shift among our highway customers toward the lighter, more fuel-efficient Volvo D13 engine, which comprises the most popular engine displacement in North America,” he added.

The company noted that its D16 engine was available in Volvo’s VNL and VNX models. The VNL will continue to be available with the Volvo D11, D13 and Cummins X15 engines, while production of the VNX – introduced in 2013 – will be placed “on hold” though it will remain in Volvo’s product lineup for now.

“We’re evaluating solutions that will allow us to offer it in the future. In the interim, we intend to offer an ‘X-package’ for the VNL model, providing the ride height and heavy-haul attributes of the VNX with either the Volvo D13 or Cummins X15 engine,” Borgna said. “But aftermarket service and support will continue for customers who currently have a D16 engine.”

Volvo added that its new “X-package” for the VNL model will include a 20,000-lb front axle, dual steering gears, heavy-duty bumper, chrome grille, high ride height for improved ground clearance, and 500 hp versions of the Volvo D13 and Cummins X15 engines.

The Volvo I-Shift automated mechanical transmission (AMT) will remain the standing offering on Volvo trucks equipped with a D11 or D13 engine, though manual transmissions will remain available as an option. The X15 engine will also be made available with a manual transmission or the Eaton Ultrashift AMT when ordered with Volvo models, the company said.

Mack spokesman Christopher Heffner told Fleet Owner that the company’s Titan tractor model and – as noted above – its engine, the Mack MP10, are being discontinued in North America as well.

He said in an email that's because many of the applications that the Titan served can be handled by Mack Pinnacle and Granite models equipped with the newer higher horsepower and torque outputs of Mack's MP8 13-liter engine.

“Mack will continue to provide full aftermarket service and support for customers who currently own a Titan model,” Heffner added.

He also noted that Mack will continue to produce its proprietary Maxitorque manual transmission, contrary to other information seen at press time.

Volvo, Mack, to Discontinue 16-liter Diesel Immediately

Heavy Duty Trucking  /  January 23, 2017

Volvo Trucks North America announced to its dealers on Jan. 20 that effective immediately, the OEM would cease production and distribution of its 16.1-liter D16 diesel engine. Aftermarket service and support for all D16s currently in the field will continue unimpeded.

The decision to cease 16-liter engine production will also affect Mack Trucks, a sister company under the Volvo Group. Therefore, Mack will stop offering its MP10 16.1-liter diesel, which shares major design and production attributes with the D16.

According to a company spokesperson, Volvo made the decision based on limited demand for the large-displacement diesel and the long-term investment that would be required to keep it in the market.

Additionally, Volvo noted that general trends in the North American trucking industry toward smaller-displacement diesels, which are lighter and more fuel efficient, also bolstered the determination to cease D16 production. Production of Volvo’s 12.8-liter D13 diesel will not be affected.

The D16 engine was an option on Volvo VNL and VNX models. The VNL will continue to be available with the Volvo D11, Volvo D13 and Cummins X15 engines.

Volvo said the heavy-duty VNX model will remain in its product lineup. The company is currently evaluating engine solutions that will allow it to keep offering it in the future.

However, Mack's heavy-haul Class 8 tractor, the Titan, will be discontinued. A company spokesperson said that decision was made because many of the applications that the Titan serves can be handled by Mack Pinnacle and Granite models equipped with the newer higher horsepower and torque outputs of the Mack MP8 12.8-liter engine. Mack will continue to provide full aftermarket service and support to Titan customers.

Volvo also said it intends, for the interim, to offer an “X-package” for the VNL model, which will provide the ride height and heavy-haul attributes of the VNX with 500-hp versions of either the Volvo D13 or Cummins X15 engine.

The Volvo package will include a 20,000-lb front axle, dual steering gears, heavy-duty bumper, chrome grille, and high ride height for improved ground clearance. The Volvo I-Shift AMT is standard on trucks equipped with a D11 or D13 engine and manual transmissions are available as an option. The X15 engine is available with a manual transmission or with the Eaton Ultrashift transmission.

Volvo halts production of heavy-haul VNX tractor, nixes D16 engine

Commercial Carrier Journal (CCJ)  /  January 23, 2017

Volvo Trucks has discontinued its 16-liter engine and has halted production of its VNX tractor, the company has confirmed with CCJ. Market conditions dictated both decisions, the company says.

The changes are effective immediately, says Volvo spokesperson Brandon Borgna.

The company’s dealer network received notice Friday, Borgna says. The 16-liter D16 has seen “limited market demand,” he says, as more and more customers opt for the smaller D13. “We continue to see a general shift among our highway customers toward the lighter, more fuel-efficient Volvo D13 engine, which comprises the most popular engine displacement in North America,” Borgna says.

Volvo will continue to service existing D16 engines.

Despite the production stop, Volvo intends to keep the VNX in its product lineup, Borgna says, following further market analysis. “In the interim, we intend to offer an X-package for the VNL model, providing the ride height and heavy-haul attributes of the VNX with either the Volvo D13 or Cummins X15 engine. The package will include a 20,000-lb front axle, dual steering gears, heavy-duty bumper, chrome grille, high ride height for improved ground clearance, and 500 horsepower versions of the Volvo D13 and Cummins X15 engines.”

Yeah like I said before why not make the titan with available mp8 or cummins 15 liter like volvo is doing doesn't make sense . The other thing is I think the d16 /mp10 was the best of mp line for reliability the 13 liter had more issues according to the mechanic we bring our trucks to we have had far less problems than than the mp8 's he works on. 

Volvo Cancels D16; Mack Cancels Titan Tractor

Trailer/Body Builders  /  January 24, 2017

Volvo Trucks announced in a memo to its dealer network that it will no longer be selling its 16-liter D16 engine in the North American market, citing “diminishing demand.” By extension, this also means Volvo’s brother company, Mack Trucks, will no longer be offering its large displacement MP10 engine, which is based on the D16. Mack is also discontinuing sales of its Titan heavy haul tractor as well.

Introduced into the U.S. back in 2005, the D16 offered displacement of 550 to 625 hp – mainly at heavy haul applications.

“The decision is the result of limited market demand for this engine displacement and the long-term investment that would be required to maintain the D16 for the unique operating requirements of the North American market,” Brandon Borgna, spokesman for Volvo Trucks, told Fleet Owner.

“We also continue to see a general shift among our highway customers toward the lighter, more fuel-efficient Volvo D13 engine, which comprises the most popular engine displacement in North America,” he added.

The company noted that its D16 engine was available in Volvo’s VNL and VNX models. The VNL will continue to be available with the Volvo D11, D13 and Cummins X15 engines, while production of the VNX – introduced in 2013 – will be placed “on hold” though it will remain in Volvo’s product lineup for now.

“We’re evaluating solutions that will allow us to offer it in the future. In the interim, we intend to offer an ‘X-package’ for the VNL model, providing the ride height and heavy-haul attributes of the VNX with either the Volvo D13 or Cummins X15 engine,” Borgan said. “But aftermarket service and support will continue for customers who currently have a D16 engine.”

Volvo added that its new “X-package” for the VNL model will include a 20,000-lb front axle, dual steering gears, heavy-duty bumper, chrome grille, high ride height for improved ground clearance, and 500 hp versions of the Volvo D13 and Cummins X15 engines.

The Volvo I-Shift automated mechanical transmission (AMT) will remain the standing offering on Volvo trucks equipped with a D11 or D13 engine, though manual transmissions will remain available as an option. The X15 engine will also be made available with a manual transmission or the Eaton Ultrashift AMT when ordered with Volvo models, the company said.

Mack spokesman Christopher Heffner told Fleet Owner that the company’s Titan tractor model and – as noted above – its engine, the Mack MP10, are being discontinued in North America as well.

He said in an email that's because many of the applications that the Titan served can be handled by Mack Pinnacle and Granite models equipped with the newer higher horsepower and torque outputs of Mac'sk MP8 13-liter engine.

“Mack will continue to provide full aftermarket service and support for customers who currently own a Titan model,” Heffner added.

The internal sales memo also noted that Mack plans to discontinue its proprietary Maxitorque manual transmission, but that particular development could not be confirmed

• 2 weeks later...

Volvo drops D16 engine in North America

Trade Trucks AU  /  January 27, 2017

Move sees Mack MP10 and Titan prime mover cancelled

Volvo Trucks North America has blamed a lack of demand and "operating requirements" for the demise of the heavy-haulage focused D16 engine in the region.

Caught up is the region’s Mack Titan prime mover and D16-based MP10 engine, though the move will reportedly leave the D11, D13 and Cummins X15 engines unaffected.

Canning the 550-625hp (410-466kW) D16 was not on the radar 10 months ago, when Volvo was unveiling its 2017 North American engine updates.

At that time, production for this year’s iteration was due this month.

US publication Fleetowner quoted a local Volvo spokesman as saying "limited market demand for this engine displacement and the long-term investment that would be required to maintain the D16 for the unique operating requirements of the North American market" were behind the decision.

Long-haul operators were also being attracted to the D13 engine’s fuel efficiency.

For Mack, the Titan’s work could already be handled by the Granite and Pinnacle models.

A Volvo spokesman tells ATN there will be no Australian impact from the decision.

Big Bore Business as Usual for Volvo and Mack (in Australia)

Owner/Driver  /  February 1, 2017

Volvo Group Australia (VGA) has moved quickly to bluntly refute competitor rumours that the future of its highly successful 16 litre engine is under threat.

The rumours have emerged in the wake of a recent North American decision to discontinue production of the Volvo D16 and Mack MP10 engines due to a decline in market demand in the US. 

However, according to senior VGA sources, the decision impacts engines produced in North America only and will have absolutely no bearing on Australian operations where the popular D16 and MP10 engines are sourced from Sweden with current Euro V emissions technology.

VGA insists demand for the high horsepower heavy-duty vehicles continues to climb in Australia, with the Volvo FH600, FH700, and Mack Super-Liner playing critical roles and continuing to increase market share in the heavy-duty sector.

3 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

Big Bore Business as Usual for Volvo and Mack (in Australia)

Owner/Driver  /  February 1, 2017

Volvo Group Australia (VGA) has moved quickly to bluntly refute competitor rumours that the future of its highly successful 16 litre engine is under threat.

The rumours have emerged in the wake of a recent North American decision to discontinue production of the Volvo D16 and Mack MP10 engines due to a decline in market demand in the US. 

However, according to senior VGA sources, the decision impacts engines produced in North America only and will have absolutely no bearing on Australian operations where the popular D16 and MP10 engines are sourced from Sweden with current Euro V emissions technology.

VGA insists demand for the high horsepower heavy-duty vehicles continues to climb in Australia, with the Volvo FH600, FH700, and Mack Super-Liner playing critical roles and continuing to increase market share in the heavy-duty sector.

If they ship D16's from Sweden to Australia why wouldn't they just ship D16's to United States from Sweden if they didn't want to build them here. Still makes no sense to me. 

5 hours ago, logtruckman said:

If they ship D16's from Sweden to Australia why wouldn't they just ship D16's to United States from Sweden if they didn't want to build them here. Still makes no sense to me. 

If they don't sell the D16 in Australia, they'd have to reflect on whether or not they want to be in the country at all.

That said, it's fair to question why is Volvo willing to export a small quantity of D16s to Australia every year, when it could sell far more in the US market if it offered a Super-Liner type product.......as well as a better-adapted North American market Titan?

I suspect, with its current (Delphi) unit pump injection, the D16 can meet the upcoming emissions regs.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dirtymilkman said:

The early mp10's came from Sweden but all the later ones were u.s. built. Different emissions is the difference. 

If the Mack brand offered a Super-Liner type product, North American market D16 sales would rival that of the global market.

I want my mp10 with a set forward front axle, 126-130" BBC, woodgrain dash, separate gauges, red leather button tuck, 18spd maxitorque, and a deep frame. Better have a stainless grille like my Titan too. Easy enough? Will I ever be able to get a carpeted floor again? And I don't mean the shitty vision style carpeting. The old plush carpet like my elite interiors have. 

Mack fans have been calling for the superliner to return since the mid 90s, all they had to was stretch the CH set forward 6 or 8 inches in the hood slap a superliner like grill on it . Not hard or expensive to do . Not gonna happen though . 

Like you say certainly not hard to do. I think not offering a superliner like product in the USA speaks volumes about Volvos commitment to Mack. Volvo wants Mack to be a little sister. Volvo doesn't care about Mack competing with the other truck manufacturers. They just don't want Mack competing with Volvo. It would be nice if Volvo pulled out of the North America and just pushed the Mack brand.

9 hours ago, james j neiweem said:

Like you say certainly not hard to do. I think not offering a superliner like product in the USA speaks volumes about Volvos commitment to Mack. Volvo wants Mack to be a little sister. Volvo doesn't care about Mack competing with the other truck manufacturers. They just don't want Mack competing with Volvo. It would be nice if Volvo pulled out of the North America and just pushed the Mack brand.

If Mack sold less than half the trucks as Volvo does I could almost understand the lack of freedom and respect. But when Mack sales numbers almost match Volvo that should say something. Foolish Volvo pride. If Mack had their freedom I believe they would outsell Volvo

On 2/7/2017 at 0:53 AM, Dirtymilkman said:

If Mack sold less than half the trucks as Volvo does I could almost understand the lack of freedom and respect. But when Mack sales numbers almost match Volvo that should say something. Foolish Volvo pride. If Mack had their freedom I believe they would outsell Volvo

Last year when the new volvo CEO took over they were saying all brands would have more autonomy and be responsible to turn a profit  . Maybe we'll see changes soon ?? I'm not holding my breath though . I wonder if any mack designers engineers visit this site to get advice ?