Sure seems a lot of the "old timers" are gone:

Rob

Kind of surprising to look through membership roster to see it's been quite some time since a lot of the old guard have posted. Some kind of change to the site? Run it's course? Tired of answering same questions over and over for members only on the "take"? All aforementioned apply to me as well but I'm not finding, nor placing blame, just wondering why the departure for others?

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Some months back Barry had to update the site sofware and that forced changes in the interface. Many daily visitors were gone after that moment. Or got scarce. I suppose that was not mostly a matter of the change itself. Probably many got upset of being here for a long time. So additionas troubles dealing with the site made a kind of hit. Previousely that day you usually could see "collapse" in the "members online" count at the top of the page.

Facebook makes its work either.

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Yes Greg, I'm old n gray and have diminished mental capacity from my youth but I can still crawl to my food bowl for supper without delay, so it's all good. I'm still working on the loose bowel thing but continue to make progress with "Momma's" special stew. While many consider me feeble n decrepit, I still try.....

I know how software changes and it's not always easy on membership as I see it a lot at work. From the roster it looks like the exodus was around the November timeframe.  I don' do Facebook myself and don't plan to.

• Like 2

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

13 hours ago, Vladislav said:

Some months back Barry had to update the site sofware and that forced changes in the interface. Many daily visitors were gone after that moment. Or got scarce. I suppose that was not mostly a matter of the change itself. Probably many got upset of being here for a long time. So additionas troubles dealing with the site made a kind of hit. Previousely that day you usually could see "collapse" in the "members online" count at the top of the page.

Facebook makes its work either.

I agree, I noticed a big drop off after the change... and even I stopped visiting as much.

Fun is what they fine you for!

My name is Bob Buckman sir,. . . and I hate truckers.

I'm on a new tablet computer and everything is different with it but don't notice the site being difficult to navigate. I have fat fingers and the keys are to small to my liking but can be worked with. Just surprising how many don't seem to be around any longer. 

I know Facebook has had a negative impact on a lot of comradery based websites but it's never been something I'm interested in. I see kids putting far to many personal aspects of life onto "their" Facebook of which most any predator can see. Had to caution my daughter several times till she locked down her account from public view. She still puts far to much on there IMO.

"Momma"and I never expressesed interest in that interface and prefer to remain private from the masses. Amazing how many I know do participate or how large of contributor it is to their lives. So can see how most specialty sites such as this have suffered.

"Momma's" special stew really does work. She doesn't allow me in the cellar while she prepares the potion but just about 20 minutes after eating and getting myself upright again, she orders me to the outside of the house perimeter foundation cause you know, "where Rob goes, nuthin grows" so we finally got that weed control problem addressed too. One spot treated seems to be permanent in nature. You all remember how "into" organics I am so this fits right in. Just have to be careful where to step around the place the longer we're here. 

Edited by Rob
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, storkmack said:

Well, I am still here.  You had come up and bought some B model parts for us quite a few years ago.   I just checked and realized that I have been a member here since November of 2005.  Boy time really does fly.   The names on here have changed over the years, but the character of the people is almost always of the best kind.   Maybe, I don't post as much as others, but I like to check in on how things are going.  

Yes, remember quite well but don't get through your area any longer. My son moved from Warrenville over to Wheaton and much easier to get there via I-355 than over 20. Still plan to stop for a visit sometime. Got to get into that crate sometime come to think about it.....

Well thanks man; don't really do much of anything credible any longer and tend to blow with the wind or roll with the tide kind of thing. On the hunt looking for that "tranquility" which has avoided us for many  years constantly wondering what that next "step" should, or will be, and try to trek appropriately. Seemingly done alright so far and looking to the next chapter later in the year.

I'll try to stick around and ad something useful if the opportunity presents itself.

Rob

• Like 1

On 1/11/2017 at 8:32 PM, Underdog said:

Not interested in Facebook, either. Mostly too much information regarding loose bowels and diminished mental capacity. There are sometimes interesting recipes for special stews, though. That part I like.

diminished mental capacity              understatement

1 hour ago, carlotpilot said:

diminished mental capacity              understatement

Me? "Momma" says I "done gone stupid" several times per day referring to my old age creeping up.

53 minutes ago, Lmackattack said:

I have had constant issues after the last major change. I stopped visiting because I found it hard to stay logged in and follow threads I was interested in. I liked the old format much better.

Trent

Maybe I missed a couple of changes? I remember the original site of which I favored at the start, then the next upgrade took some getting used to but never had problems after that. This time around I'm on a new desktop computer(s), laptop computer(s), new fangled things called "tablets", and a cell phone which has a lot of capacity I'll never master. Kind of hard for a technology lacking putz such as myself. Have to get my kids, or one of the young'uns at work to show me how to operate some of this stuff I'm saddled with nowadays.

I have an upcoming stint at Midway later in the spring and you, I, and Storkmack will have to get together for lunch or dinner. I'll be staying at my son's in Wheaton as I never miss an opportunity to see the grand daughters.

Rob

7 minutes ago, Rob said:

Me? "Momma" says I "done gone stupid" several times per day referring to my old age creeping up.

of course I have heard her mutter under her breath, "senial old *uck" referring to me I'm certain. She only thinks I'm deaf in one ear and can't hear out of the other.

• 11 months later...

Yes, FB has taken it's toll on many forums.  Not all, but the smaller forums seemed to dry up as it is easier to just use FB.  I still hang with all my old forums, I don't really use FB other then for certain projects and needs.  I don't do "family" stuff or get into armchair quarterbacking on whatever is the story of the day on FB. 

My cheers to FB, when I needed a wrecker to pull the  motor in the Mack, BOOM, one post and I had one.  Needed to sell the old motor< BOOM, one post to a fellow that needed motor.  Gone!  It has its good points.  Beyond that I stay away.

Oh ya, the BMT upgrade?   I didn't have any issues with it.  Ya, the new look took some getting used to but the function was never an issue(and I have an old laptop at home).

Edited by Freightrain

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Facebook is great for photo sharing and such but forums still do a much better job of info sharing and search function.

I think I said it a year ago but I fell off BMT when the big change happened as I could not stay logged in and it became a PITA to log on. Not sure what changed but now I log in automatically again... I still like the last style board version better as it was more streamlined in my opinion.

29 minutes ago, farmer52 said:

What is Facebook?!?!?!?  A book with a face?  I said it before and I will say it again "I have more important things to do even if it is nothing!"

I was the same way when it first came out 10 or so years ago. today facebook is more of a gathering of people who like something you are intrested in. for example I belong to Mack truck groups, Model Railroad groups R/C truck groups etc... some of the pics people share inspire me to build things. and the truck pics are just as good as hanks and infact I think more people are posting never seen pics before to FB. thats why I like it.

• 1 month later...

i have Facebook but i have always preferred forums for this kind stuff. i don't really do any Facebook groups, a couple buy/sell type groups. but i even had to turn off all my notifications for them. i try to keep my Facebook to just friends and family people i know personally. i can kinda check in on it and see what people are up to maybe post something every once in a while. the thing about face book is it moves to fast and i miss a lot of stuff that people post because im not glued to it like a lot of people. even Facebook in itself has its own negative social impact. you hardly ever call your old friends anymore and ask them what they have been up to. cause you checked Facebook a couple days ago and saw they had a burrito for breakfast. 

• Like 1