Removing the water pump housing from a mack MP8?

Keffer inc

Hello, I removed the water pump, and all that was already in the way. I was trying to replace the square rubber gasket that connects the oil cooler to the water pump housing. I looks like there are two bolts that are being blocked from the harmonic balancer. Looks to me as if I need to take off the fan, fan clutch, and lift all that out of the way to unbolt the balancer just to get those two bolts out? Does anyone know of an easier way? 

The truck will not leak coolant if it is warm for about two hours after running, then it slowly starts, and slowly gets bigger until it almost is a steady drip. I can feel the gasket with my fingers and was thinking about using gasket maker and smearing it in with my fingers and throw it back together with my fingers crossed? Is it worth a chance to take to try this and possibly dodge a bullet?

I currently don't have my truck signed on with a company but I have applied to Oakley Trucking to run end dump trailers doing Dry Bulk. The truck will be looked at very closely and I don't want to send it to a shop during orientation.

2011 Mack CXU613 MP8 455hp

Edited by Keffer inc
  • Like 1

Ive replaced the square oring/gasket by removing the water pump housing and everything you stated.  The other option is removing the oil cooler and everything that goes with it, which is a WAY bigger pain.  I would say, continue what you are doing and replace the square oring/gasket.  I don't think the silicone will hold, and isn't worth the chance of a breakdown. 

Edited by Challenger
  • Like 1

No need now, what I was able to remove that square gasket by loosening the two bolts holding the lower round O ring and taking off all the cover bolts except for the two that were in question, which I loosened them out as far as I could against the balancer. It gave me just enough to clean up the rust and grime from it leaking for so long. I'm about to re-install it all but my next question is what kind of anti-freeze can I use? I like Prestone (green/yellow) and have used it on my older CH613 with no issue. Is this stuff ok with the newer trucks too, with the EGR cooler and such? I know Ford 6.0 trucks cant touch the stuff without plugging up. If you're wondering, it had red antifreeze. Thanks

We always use the pink/red pre-mixed 50/50 stuff here. I talked to our guy here and he does the same thing as you did. back the bolts out till they hit the balancer and slide the gasket/square o-ring out.  However he had some that he could do like that for some reason but cant remember which engine it was on.