Another superliner rebuild

On 1/29/2017 at 0:43 PM, Mack58B42 said:

Well, you won't lose it in a parking lot, will you?  :)

I believe that Omaha Orange was one of the first "Safety Colors" after Red fire trucks. A lot of municipal vehicles were painted that color..

Brocky

2 hours ago, Brocky said:

I believe that Omaha Orange was one of the first "Safety Colors" after Red fire trucks. A lot of municipal vehicles were painted that color..

Yeah, I think that up until a recent switch, that's pretty close to the color that RI DOT used for all their highway trucks....

I believe that Omaha Orange was one of the first "Safety Colors" after Red fire trucks.

Nice color.

Ironically orange and reds are very difficult to see at night. They become a dark color in reduced light which is why many FD's in the 70's experimented with lime green and yellows for their fire apparatus. I had the personal embarrassment of having to be around a fluorescent orange pumper until some sanity returned to our fleet people and we went back to our standard white over red. The cost of the orange paint was twice what  the standard red was and it didn't prove to be any more resistant to being hit.

I never could figure out how a different paint color would make a rig more visible if the moron driving the vehicle that hit us couldn't see the ten thousand flashing lights we used. (My favorite was the drunk who centered her car on the line of flares we were using to direct traffic around us on the Beltway until she hit the pumper blocking the scene for us. And you wonder why we always block an extra lane?)

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

• 1 month later...

G'day mate,i've been loking everywhere for a picture a front engine mount for a cat into a mack.I'm building a R700 with a 3406b cat motor.I couldn't find anything,then bingo,there are your pictures.

Could I please ask what the diameter of the engine mount holes are?

Can I also ask the distance off the mounting face to the centre of the engine holes? Anything else you think might help

I'm going to have to make one, this will help heaps

Thanks heaps

Thanks for the kind words guys, but yes for the most part it has come out as I had imagined a year ago when i got it back home and started a plan ! Changed the paint color from what I had originally  decided on, but you'll have that. I'll try and put a tape to the front engine mount today. Can tell you that rear mounts need moved back 5 or 6 inches and the stock cat mount in the front did'nt come back quite far enough to bolt up, had to notch engine cradle about the width of a bolt.But if you're gonna fab one you should be able to make that up in your mount.  Have a good day !

Thanks guys, mackey , it's steel. Pic of it on first page of thread. For our friend down under and any one else it can help. The front mount is 6 1/8 " from back of cross member to center of mounting bolt. hole size will depend on your engine mount rubber size. Rear mounts at bell housing need to move back 5 1/2" , hope this helps others, I had some time in figuring out the mounting, but the bonus I discovered was,on a superliner all you have to do is move the rear mount back one set of holes so that rear holes of mount are in front holes of forward cab mount ! Easy as pie when u know !

On 3/30/2017 at 6:07 AM, superdog405 said:

Been alot of modifications getting the air cleaners and cat engine to work, but we're almost there ! The one pic is the AC side of a APU I am using for my condenser .

020.JPG

021.JPG

019.JPG

I've never seen front rims dished that deep . great looking truck. 

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Hotrod460 said:

Very impressive work! I'd love for my Superliner to look that good some day. I can't ever sell it. It's what got me started in the dump truck business. It's never let me down. 

8v92TA w/ Eaton 13spd. which is a total blast to drive. I do like the idea of a Cat b engine. You can crank that baby up! 

Good for us for keeping these amazing trucks alive! I get thumbs up at every job site.

Peace

Not to hijack the thread but cool Super 1 with an rarely-seen engine.  Looks like maybe original paint, too.  Got any more pics?