Titan to be Discontinued

On 1/26/2017 at 3:43 PM, sas454 said:

Chicago Mack is "M&K Truck Centers" ... which also sells, you guessed it, Volvo

Interesting....That leaves me to wonder where a true Mack Dealer is in Chicagoland....I cant think of one.  We were once a city that was filled with Macks and dealerships that knew us by name.... Sad days within Mack...

On 1/26/2017 at 8:33 AM, logtruckman said:

Any chance volvo pulls out of North America as it looks like they are failing here to accomplish anything. We know what they've done to mack but even their own brand here is failing they haven introduced a new truck in 14 years while freightliner keeps making improvements and modernizing it's Cascadia Volvo's VNL highway truck is aging . 

No updating at all. Unless you count the full makeover (interior and exterior) in 2004 to accommodate epa engines, the updates to their engines as well as the iShift - still the best amt on the market, several aerodynamic improvements to the cab, the introduction of radically downsped engines (a Volvo first), the nice interior makeover of 2012, the introduction of the Blade suspension and the new heavy haul iShift with crawler gears. So apart from that, nothing.

I've had the chance to drive a few Volvos; they make a nice truck. Maybe they're not as bad as is commonly thought.

P.S. My apologies to Monty Python:

I was always open minded about Volvo/Mack takeover, whatever you want to call it. I'm not so much anymore. We've been running the big Macks Superliner, CL and Titans since 89, and now they don't offer a model like that. I know they stopped the CL after 07, but we knew the Titan was coming in 09 so it wasn't a big deal for us. But I don't see a replacement in the pipe. Our mack salesman feels the same way. He said Peterbilt and KW are killing him. He can hardly sell a truck in his area, construction and regional hauling where Mack is supposed to thrive. They're getting slaughtered, never mind logging trucks . 

Typically, different US state markets from coast-to-coast and from north and south give me varying feedback.

However, I've been hearing universally nationwide for some time now that Kenworth is coming on very strong.

Mack brand salesmen nationwide are losing Class 8 deals to Freightliner, Kenworth and other brands because their pricing is $10,000 to $15,000 high.

• Like 1

The Kenworth bubble will burst soon. All I hear about is reliability issues and horrible service turn around. Our local dealers are terrible for service and the new cabs and components are not well built. Everything from steering columns breaking to windshields leaking to rotten wiring harnesses. And to replace a turbo on a nine liter paccar motor should not take more than two weeks. A friend here has a 13 liter paccar and the oil was silver with metal shavings. 300,000 miles on motor. Dealer told him it was because someone took the anti-siphon deal out of the fuel tank and pieces of aluminum got in the fuel. Wtf

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dirtymilkman said:

The Kenworth bubble will burst soon. All I hear about is reliability issues and horrible service turn around. Our local dealers are terrible for service and the new cabs and components are not well built. Everything from steering columns breaking to windshields leaking to rotten wiring harnesses. And to replace a turbo on a nine liter paccar motor should not take more than two weeks. A friend here has a 13 liter paccar and the oil was silver with metal shavings. 300,000 miles on motor. Dealer told him it was because someone took the anti-siphon deal out of the fuel tank and pieces of aluminum got in the fuel. Wtf

In my area it seems like alot of the bigger fleets keep changing makes they'll buy a bunch of petes then trade most of in for freightlinersome,then buy some macks then buy some Kenworths no real loyalty as I think all new trucks have quality issues. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Co driver(s) and storage for personal gear and depending on route bivouac /  survival gear,

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE