Titan to be Discontinued

I got word from someone who was at a Volvo meeting , that yes the D16 is gone . But they are concerned about losing the heavy haul business and will start pushing the 600 Cummins in their heavy duity chassis. If that's true , maybe Mack could tweak the CHU enough to fit one in?

Yes we just got our announcement SBN17-013 Discontinuation of the Volvo D16 Engine. I posted something on Dec 31st that this would happen. Unfortunately it wasn't clear what was going on with Cummins replacement, now it is. All 550-600 hp VNLs and VNXs will get the X15. Volvo will not kill the VNX as Mack did with Titan. It just may die on it's own. I won't sell a single VNX/Cummins combo.

The interesting part is weather the ISX will get the I-Shift. With the introduction of the crawler transmission and the corporate love of the I-Shift, I have a hard time believing Volvo won't put one in every VNX, even if X15. Time will tell.

On the Mack side, there is no respect for the CHU so I doubt they'll spend the money on installing an X15. It too will die with the introduction the Obama's Greenhouse Gas regulations in 2020/2021 time frame. Old school trucks will be regulated away due to poor aerodynamics.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, james j neiweem said:

Volvo has never given Mack the option of using Cummins 15 liter  in the past. Only the natural gas and diesel for the MHD. Again Mack on a short leash.

CL from 03 to 07 cummins isx . Mack should of kept making titans with the new x15 . They'd probably sell more than the mp10 . 

• Like 1

I wouldn't touch anything with a Cummins unless that new one far more reliable than the current ISX. My buddies MP10's will walk all over tuned ISX600's.

And every time ours goes down, Cummins has no parts and everything is on back order.

And just had to replace the SCR catalyst. $6800. Yet I can get the SCR and DPF for my Detroit for $1600 for both???? Won't be any more red in our yard.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bullheaded said:

I wouldn't touch anything with a Cummins unless that new one far more reliable than the current ISX. My buddies MP10's will walk all over tuned ISX600's.

And every time ours goes down, Cummins has no parts and everything is on back order.

And just had to replace the SCR catalyst. $6800. Yet I can get the SCR and DPF for my Detroit for $1600 for both???? Won't be any more red in our yard.

A very close friend of mine owns several Mack's  and Volvo's that pulls freight for FedEx. All with the MP/D11/D13 engines.  A few years back he got a deal on 3 brand new left over Volvo's with Cummins  engines in them. They broke down at about the same rate as the MP/D engines but were harder to get repaired as not all Volvo dealerships are Cummins certified. And repairs seem to take longer. Long story short , no more Cummins  for him .  I might add though , the Cummins Insite diagnostic software we have is years ahead of the Mack/Volvo Tech Tool software we use. And the Cummins dealer that  we do business with has helped us out many many times and I can't thank them enough. 

• Like 1

It could come down to our dealers too Mackpro, as my area seems to have the worst anywhere I have ever dealt. But my area sources parts from the Cummins distribution centres in Thunder Bay, Mississaugua and Montreal and they all seem to always have stuff on back order.

And I still can't figure out why Cummins emission equipment replacement prices are SO much more than Detroit.

Everyone has products that fail, but you know how that goes.....when you keep getting stung it's hard to put your faith back in them again. At some point you try to stop the bleeding.

On 1/22/2017 at 5:32 AM, Mackpro said:

the Cummins Insite diagnostic software we have is years ahead of the Mack/Volvo Tech Tool software we use. And the Cummins dealer that  we do business with has helped us out many many times and I can't thank them enough. 

Totally agree with that statement. If Cummins has done anything right it is the Insite program. Insite is a very impressive progressive straightforward piece of work for the most part!

However If Volvo /Mack plans on using the ISX and the ishit/ mdrive as the only trans, this makes for a whole lot of room for buck passing when it comes down to warranty concerns. From what I have seen, when there are any kind of programing mishaps, there tends to be a NOT OUR PROBLEM attitude on both sides, and it leaves the customer and dealer hanging!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bullheaded said:

I would have never thought it was true. I guess ya'll are right. Volvo/Mack doesn't care about selling big trucks.

Now I'm glad I changed brands after they killed the E9 and CL.

The American Mack brand people in Greensboro are not "truck people". Most came from unrelated backgrounds. But they are "yes men" who don't make waves, as that is how you survive in Volvo's culture. Meanwhile, Volvo's Swedish heads in the U.S. don't understand the United States market. They'll keep beating on the square peg until it finally breaks around the edges and passes thru the round hole, as it's been ingrained in them to do.

• Like 2

Kinda like how they bought one of the best motor grader companies in the world (Champion), then claimed stuff like the class leading transmission was THEIR design, then they pulled the plug on them last year and sent production to a Chinese company.

Meanwhile every city and rural township around here had Volvo graders and they just left them all hanging.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bullheaded said:

Kinda like how they bought one of the best motor grader companies in the world (Champion), then claimed stuff like the class leading transmission was THEIR design, then they pulled the plug on them last year and sent production to a Chinese company.

Meanwhile every city and rural township around here had Volvo graders and they just left them all hanging.

Thats an interesting point. Every region and township around me had Champion then Volvo graders. Now they are all John Deere . I wasn't sure if it was pricing or the product. But I never see Volvo graders any more. 

Keith 

Had an interaxle driveshaft blow out on the interstate last night. January 1st Volvo raised all parts prices. Price of driveshaft went up $180. Mack dealers have to buy their parts through Mack/Volvo and not competitive vendors. So this makes the dealer's lose business now. My buddy that is a parts guy said alot of parts Volvo actually doubled the price 1st of the year. The same driveshaft I bought 2 years ago for $535. It is now over $800. So now instead of supporting Volvo and the local dealer I'll go have one made. How does Volvo think this will help them make money?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dirtymilkman said:

Had an interaxle driveshaft blow out on the interstate last night. January 1st Volvo raised all parts prices. Price of driveshaft went up $180. Mack dealers have to buy their parts through Mack/Volvo and not competitive vendors. So this makes the dealer's lose business now. My buddy that is a parts guy said alot of parts Volvo actually doubled the price 1st of the year. The same driveshaft I bought 2 years ago for $535. It is now over $800. So now instead of supporting Volvo and the local dealer I'll go have one made. How does Volvo think this will help them make money?

Volvo is, literally, obsessed with its margins. It's a Swedish thing. It's all about the high expectation Swedish investors behind the company.

14 hours ago, 85snowdog said:

Thats an interesting point. Every region and township around me had Champion then Volvo graders. Now they are all John Deere . I wasn't sure if it was pricing or the product. But I never see Volvo graders any more. 

Volvo said the motor grader market has shrunk and they was loosing money??? So they sold the manufacturing rights to SDLG China and this is what it has become.

http://www.sdlg.com/products/1966_for_pingdijijixilie_text.htm

Tell me how these compare in ANY way to what a Champion or Volvo grader was???

Same here everyone has switched to Deere and Cat now.

I had made comment a few years back about all the Chicagoland mack dealers being sold off to no name truck centers. I think Chicago Mack is the only "Mack" Dealer left that is not owned by a truck center group.   It seams that Volvo is just letting everything fail from Trucks to dealerships.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

Volvo is, literally, obsessed with its margins. It's a Swedish thing. It's all about the high expectation Swedish investors behind the company.

Any chance volvo pulls out of North America as it looks like they are failing here to accomplish anything. We know what they've done to mack but even their own brand here is failing they haven introduced a new truck in 14 years while freightliner keeps making improvements and modernizing it's Cascadia Volvo's VNL highway truck is aging . They cancelled the D16 because of not wanting to invest the cash to update it and even theye other engines they just kind of did the band aid fix .

My dad talked to our mack salesman yesterday . He's not happy he tried to get a build slot for a Titan and Mack said absolutely not they only had 5 build slots remaining and all 5 were spoken for he also says mack doesn't care one bit about what he tells them he's sold alot of titans and is very discouraged. 

• Like 2