1951 Corbitt 600 tall boy

Hobert62

The sleeper is ahead of the drivers feet.

If you want to see more on them, they have been talked about here before - and on other old truck forums and a Wheels of Time article. They were made for the Guy M. Turner Company. Power was an English Gardner diesel.

Edited by Phase 1
  • Like 1

That truck went to auction lat year in NC. The high bid was put in by Keith Jones (Keystone Tractor Museum) but rejected by the family of the owner who has died. I thought it was a very fair bid, but apparently the old "I'm not giving it away" syndrome kicked in. 

I have no idea where it is now.

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

• 2 weeks later...

Makes me think of the old freightliners with the overhead sleepers,were mostly used by "bedbuggers" before deregulation to get a few more feet of legal trailer length! I heard you couldn't sleep in them legally when the truck was moving! That Corbitt may be the most bizarre truck design I've ever seen! Wait a minute! Has anyone ever seen that tractor that backed completely under the trailer and flush with the nose of the trailer? The thing was four feet high and the fifth wheel was on top of the cab! Supposedly to accommodate a longer trailer! Rumor had it they couldn't get anyone to drive it! What a surprise! Lol!

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen it several times at the truck shows, Corbitts were the featured truck at the Greensboro show, which they moved to Colfax, N.C. These were taken at the Greensboro ATHS show, when they used to have it at the NAPA warehouse. The ol' battle axe- I mean Jobyna- is standing in front of it, and she's 5'1".

DSCN7307.JPG

DSCN7309.JPG

DSCN7308.JPG

I took these from pictures in a 2005 photo album, back before I had a digital camera, or even knew what one was.

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

On 12/31/2016 at 8:13 AM, fxfymn said:

That truck went to auction lat year in NC. The high bid was put in by Keith Jones (Keystone Tractor Museum) but rejected by the family of the owner who has died. I thought it was a very fair bid, but apparently the old "I'm not giving it away" syndrome kicked in. 

I have no idea where it is now.

That would be a great place for it, the museum that is. I hope it doesn't end up rusting away somewhere or being scrapped, that would be a real shame.

• Like 2

Ah-hah!..that didn't take too long- here's a picture of the engine- I have a picture of everything somewhere, but that's a problem in itself. I'd guess I have 5,000 or more pictures saved on this computer, and sometimes it takes a long time to find the one i'm looking for.

Corbitt100_3442.jpg

...and I have one of the interior-

Corbitt100_3444.jpg

• Like 1

OD

Gudday M8

Jist luv th@ cog selector linkage ................................. looks a work of art :thumb:

Corbitt100_3442.jpg

BillyT

M80

RE:  four feet high and the fifth wheel was on top of the cab

Eye'v never eyeballed one but seen a few pix

Bussingcabunder_01_resized.jpg

strickcabunder_resized.jpg

steinwinter_01_resized.jpg

low_cab_truck_1.jpg

steinwinter_02_resized.jpg

me thinx the above pix would B no good purvin down on wimmen

:D

cya

§wishy

• Like 1

there was a short run TV series in the late 80's  called "the highwaymen" with an under trailer tractor that had a 6V53 detroit in it. the jetto truck:

vlcsnap177911tx9.jpg

the highwayman Jacko's truck:

ChA3.jpg

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..