New Frame Rails

Truck Shop

For anybody that lives in the pacific northwest that is contemplating replacing aluminum rails in an older truck, HW Metals in Portland, Oregon, is pretty reasonable.

I just priced two 30'x 10.5x 3.25x 3.25 80,000 lb tensile strength 3/8 formed steel rails for $1,575.00 both blanks. PacCar wants $2,800 and most outfits can only bend 20' sections. HW Metals can bend up to 55', they have a 60' brake in tandem.  Just some info for anyone looking for frame rail.

Truck Shop 

• Like 2

One ping only

Anybody please give me explanations on this matter - are those rails fabricatet by PG Adams or others have all the shapes in the front area (like say R or RW Mack have)? Or are they just straight pieces of rail you need to weld in the middle of your truck to be connected to the original front end?

Thanks.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

7 hours ago, blackdog2 said:

P G Adams in South Burlington Vermont 48 foot plus that's there only thing check out there web site.

I called them for a quote on the same formed length of blanks undrilled, Adams cost for two rails was $2,580.00 and shipping was $900.00.

Truck Shop 

One ping only

50 minutes ago, Vladislav said:

Anybody please give me explanations on this matter - are those rails fabricatet by PG Adams or others have all the shapes in the front area (like say R or RW Mack have)? Or are they just straight pieces of rail you need to weld in the middle of your truck to be connected to the original front end?

Thanks.

PG Adams does straight rail frames so you have to use the OEM Mack "front" section for R and RW.

The link shows can and can not do.

http://media.wix.com/ugd/4e46da_7f9e250e75eb447da5f0561afbe9c968.pdf

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Hmm... Straight rails could be manufactured here locally. With only trouble of metric sheet thikness. I.e. you can order 6 mm or 8 mm, not real 1/4".

Wonder are OEM R and RW rails still avalible? And how costy?

• 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Rob said:

R model on the left I'm going to rerail. This is the one receiving the 12V-71T once I get retired:

Has that been raised? It looks a lot higher than it's stable mate. But the gap between the wheel and the bonnet is similar to that if the Aussie ones. 

Rob,

From what I can see the tall truck has Eastern style R700 hood which doesn't have those 4 inches on its sides. Those two at the right are Western Hayard-built RS/RL. And the same with your water tanker. I don't know is the tall red truck an Eastern R700 (it seems to me that way because of the fuel tank/battery box style) or an early production Western RS. If the 1st case it seems like the gap between the front wheel and the fender arch is huge. It must mean the hood/cab set up higher than stock or those under-the-springs spicers are higer. My Eastern (actually Canadian) R's have them spicer blocks of 4" and as I could figure out they're standart stock for them.

Wonder are those cab support brackets custom made ones of thick sheet metal or cast as standard R-series ones?

And if the cab seats higher there must special hood hinges or mounts be present.

Thank you for explaining things over Western R's. I'm not familiar with them and have symphaties to at the same time.

That all is pretty interesting to see.

Looks like the optional high brackets are a big series setup. Are made as steel castings. Or more correctly cast iron ones.

Got disappointed at the first time seeing no rear spring bracket at the same spot. But that's R700 and the cab sits further backwards than I used to see.

Western setup is an almost different story. As I can see the cab is similar about the shape of the mounting pads. But they are drilled different for mounting bolts. I might be wrong though, haven't digged that deep on my Eastern R's. Interesting to admit Western trucks have so many parts of welded design in relation to Macungie. It might be explained by less numbers of vehicles produced (I'm in doubt on that) or just a different "culture of design and production".

Thank you for the efforts sharing the knowledge.