Thanks Jim.  I'm just trying to put together ideas on how to start the truck.  Make sure it runs and moves before dumping a bunch of cash into it.  First research on a 12V starter is looking like give or take $300.

As reading in another thread it was suggested priming the fuel system and pull starting in 3rd gear.  I have two fully charged 12V deep cycle batteries.  Maybe wire them up and give it a pull, see if she fires.  

Questions on converting 6V to 12V:  

Is this not a positive ground system?  

Aside from changing the starter won't I need to do something with the generator and regulator?  

Is changing the polarity of the Ammeter the only gauge I need to worry about?

That is a 12 volt system already. The original system used a series/parallel switch to supply 24 volts to the starter, while all of the accessories used 12 volts. It is a positive ground.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

42 minutes ago, j hancock said:

For test purposes, if the original starter is there, do some redneck wiring with some good heavy jumper cables making your two 12 volts into a temporary 24 volt and see if it turns.  Be careful! 

Good idea.  Come think think of it, I bet I could rig a single 12V battery to supply running power.  Then take the two 12V deep cycle batteries, connect in series and give that a shot at the starter.  Thanks, you got my wheels turning.

2 hours ago, fxfymn said:

That is a 12 volt system already. The original system used a series/parallel switch to supply 24 volts to the starter, while all of the accessories used 12 volts. It is a positive ground.

Thank you for the response.  For the life of me I don't know why I typed that saying 6V.  I knew it was 12V with 24V supplied to the starter via the series parallel switch.
I work with a lot of old farm tractors that still run 6V positive ground systems.  Gotta remember to keep all these things separated in my head ;)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rwood64083 said:

Good idea.  Come think think of it, I bet I could rig a single 12V battery to supply running power.  Then take the two 12V deep cycle batteries, connect in series and give that a shot at the starter.  Thanks, you got my wheels turning.

No need for a third battery for running volts.  On the diesels all you need is to turn them over.  The rest is mechanical.   I've been playing with my truck and all I have is the batteries going to the starter.  Then I use a jumper wire to activate the solenoid.  

• Like 1

why use a battery at all? any diesel will pop start in 3rd high. rig up a can with fresh diesel, two lines, prime up the fuel system , try to pull start it ,if shes  a good runner, invest in a starter and some new cables. if shes skipping, we have a cure for that to

Edited by Maddog13407
  • Like 2

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

10 hours ago, Phase 1 said:

Check the starter before you buy one. If the series/parallel switch is gone it may have already been changed to 12V start.

I've given this some thought also.  
Given the previous Antique Tractor Salvage Yard owners I'd say there's a good possibility there have been things disturbingly rigged up and/or removed and sold.  
I'll get it sorted.

Appreciate all the input.  Certainly helps me put ideas together.