US wants rules new cars must ‘talk’ to each other within 5 years

kscarbel2

The Financial Times  /  December 13, 2016

The US government has proposed a rule which would require all new light vehicles in the US to be able to “talk” to each other to avoid crashes, within as little as five years.

The move comes at a time when the federal government is trying to work out a framework of rules to regulate technology that does everything from helping humans drive cars, to technology that fully automates the driving process and removes devices such as steering wheels and gas pedals altogether [even though U.S. citizens haven’t requested their employees in Washington to conduct these activities]. Individual states are working out their own regulations to govern a new universe of self-driving or partially self-driving cars as well. 

Tuesday’s announcement from the US Department of Transportation starts a 90 day clock for public comment on proposed rules to govern so-called “vehicle to vehicle” or V2V technologies. A further rule mandating communications between light vehicles and transport infrastructure, such as traffic lights, is also expected to be published before the Trump administration comes into office next month. 

US government officials say mandating that cars should be able to “talk” to each other could prevent or mitigate the effects of as many as 80 per cent of crashes that do not involve a driver impaired by drugs or alcohol. 

The goal of the technology is to warn motorists of unseen hazards, in conditions such as intersections, or overtaking a truck on a two-lane road for example, the officials say. Light vehicles would have to be able to “speak the same language through a standard technology”, government regulators said. Each automaker would be able to choose how such warnings are communicated to drivers, with some automakers working on technology that makes the seat or wheel vibrate to communicate danger, or uses visible or audible warnings. 

Officials of the DoT and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said all new light vehicles would be required to have the technology within four years from the finalisation of the proposed rule published on Tuesday, with finalisation expected to take about a year. Half of all new cars would have to comply with the rule within two years of adoption of a final rule. 

The Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, commenting on behalf of the US auto industry, said it would review the 400-page proposal “to see how it complements other advanced systems that are starting to be included in a growing number of new automobiles”. It said the technology was already being tested in Michigan, and individual manufacturers already provided a wide range of “driver assisted” technologies such as automatic braking, all aimed at mitigating the role of driver error in traffic accidents. 

Rebecca Lindland, auto industry analyst at Kelley Blue Book, said the guidelines “provide standardisation without dictating specific technology to achieve V2V benefits. They’re not telling companies what to write, they’re just telling them what language to write in”. 

The rule could be overturned by the incoming administration of Donald Trump, who has vowed to battle over-regulation of US industry. But asked whether this was likely, US Transportation Secretary [and ex-Charlotte, NC city mayor] Anthony Foxx played down that possibility, telling journalists: “From a safety perspective, this is a no brainer.”

just another way of taking responsibility from the driver

CUT half the distractions out there now, and the accident rate would drop significantly

Notice that this technology would only apply to "light" vehicles

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

^^^Ding Ding Ding.................we have a winner!!

Stupid people breed, giving us more stupid people.  So the guberment thinks if the cars are smarter it will help.  Ya, right.  What happen to that guy driving the Tesla that ran broadside into a semi?  Ya, how's that 'automated' driving stuff working out??

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

2 hours ago, Freightrain said:

^^^Ding Ding Ding.................we have a winner!!

Stupid people breed, giving us more stupid people.  So the guberment thinks if the cars are smarter it will help.  Ya, right.  What happen to that guy driving the Tesla that ran broadside into a semi?  Ya, how's that 'automated' driving stuff working out??

that was a software issue. NOT the drivers fault---see, I told ya

• Like 1

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

where to start?  teenagers limit stereo levels to 80 db. so they can hear sirens! also disable the texting function of their phones, damn near hit out neighbors daughter this summer while moving a swather up the road (she was staring at her phone when she passed me and didn't even look up to see I'm 12 wide)  Went to Seattle the first of November while traveling  I 90 the wife and I saw 4 new Thomas school busses being delivered, two were driving on the fog line the other two were over the centerline none of them had a safe following distance and all were staring at their phones. the wife being a ex school bus driver was going out of her mind! I just wanted to get by the accident before it happened. I view talking on the phone no worse than jawing on the c.b. each one takes your hand off the wheel, and distracts you to some extent, but I can still see the mirrors and the road ahead and if the need arises you can set the phone / mike down and deal with what ever issue, the texting and face booking + whatever else is in my eyes is wrong if you are driving on a occupied roadway.

• Like 2

The worst aspect is that "connected" cars are too easily hacked, which is why I won't buy one. Given that a handful of manufacturers produce most of the vehicles on the road, a hacker could shut the country down just by shutting down a few maker's cars and the ensuing traffic jams would make every vehicle useless.

5 hours ago, HeavyGunner said:

Why don't they put something in cars that jams cellphones so they won't work in cars? That would cut a lot of distractions out of the equation. 

I reckon this is a great idea I reckon they should do away with blue tooth and all the rest of that crap people forget it wasnt that long ago no one had mobile phones anywhere and we didnt have car phones and all survived ok kids made it to and from school ok if your car broke down we would walk to the nearest phone or knock on someones door and ask to use there phone or ask if they could call someone for us we dont need a phone that works in cars at all 

Paul

• Like 2

yep theres some type of stupid that you cant fix

Now to take this off topic but just a bit I reckon drivers licences have gone like kids report cards at school everyone passes even if they are duds and cant count the fingers on one hand because no one wants to hurt the little cup cakes feelings 

FFS really sooner or later this BS has to stop if you cant drive well enough to have a licence then for FFS dont be given one its not that hard go back and practice till you are good enough dont make a car to suit someone that has no idea or regard for fellow people  on the road 

And Im sure we all know some people that should never of had licence 

Been able to drive and have a licence isnt a right it's privilege and in this country today to many people believe everything is a right not a privilege to live in this wide brown land is a privilege not a right and with this privilege comes responsibilities

sorry rant over

Paul  

• Like 2

who needs a licence anyway...!!!!!

I drive around all day dodging hoards of Range Rovers and BMW's driven by "visitors" with no jobs and 10 million dollars houses, cops tried to nail them so the gov changed the rules.... they can now trade for a free Canadian licence and use a language translator to process the transaction... no test, no need to identify a road sign, no wonder the rcmp tried to clamp down on it but got their butts spanked.

http://www.scmp.com/news/china-insider/article/1496481/canadian-police-agree-let-chinese-drivers-use-mainland-licences?page=all

evidently they are "assisting" our economy by coming here and buying everything...!!!

just another element to this discussion.... so keep away from Hongcouver, and I'm sure many other cities, if you are a courteous driver...!!!!!

but if you are getting too upset with our north american drivers and traffic, go to youtube a look up "russian car crashes".... (sorry Vlad).... and you will see our problem here is far less serious than you thought...!!  LOL

BC Mack