Gus #9 1946 The Road to Life Once Again

TDBach

1 hour ago, 41chevy said:

Don’t drink the water in Flint, Mich. Federal and state officials botched a water supply switch there and ended up contaminating the city’s drinking water with lead. It’s a sad and infuriating story that has gone on far too long. but it is a mess.

not quite true. yes the city botched a water supply switch. but that did not contaminate the city water supply.

it is a sad and infuriating story that has gone on for far too long, and it is quite a mess. now for the truth of the matter.

Flint decided to stop buying treated water from Detroit, and draw water out of the Flint river and treat it in their own water treatment plant. 

what they forgot was that 99 % of the houses in Flint had lead pipes from the water mains to the houses. and the water coming out of the Flint river was "harder" than the treated water coming from Detroit. 

as a result, the water from the Flint river dissolved all the deposits that were lining the lead pipes in the houses, exposing the lead pipes to the water, which in turn introduced lead into the water stream. 

even after converting back to Detroit water, they still have lead in the water problems because of the lead pipes in the houses. 

the fix for this is to replace all the lines going from the mains into the houses with copper pipes. 

the issue is, the city is responsible for the mains. but the homeowners are responsible for the pipes from the shutoff box into the house. 

and since the problem with 99% of the houses are between the shut off box and the house, this makes it a homeowner problem. 

but the city is stepping up to the plate and replacing the lead pipes with copper at no cost to the homeowner. 

they just do not know how they are going to pay for it all yet. 

Edited by tjc transport
  • Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

On 5/20/2017 at 9:49 PM, 41chevy said:

That's what happens in a liberal world.

I wonder how many of those people realize over 5000 blacks fought on the side of the CSA and 3200 were slave owners them selves. Quite a few are in the Sons of the Confederacy too.  War is dirty and the liberals don't want to know about that. In Vietnam I led over 100 Zippo raids on villages.In the 1973 War in the Sinai my unit left scorched earth on the way back including many Egyptians. There is a memorial to them  it is not offensive, it is part of history  Remember both sides have a right to honor, not just the "winner".

Paul, it is all about them and they want changes no matter what. One day in the distant future all of the Veteran memorobilia will be coming down. Sounds impossible but " Nothing New Under The Sun" quote from Ecclesiastes. Now back to watching and supporting Sports.LOL

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TeamsterGrrrl said:

Again, you haven't even proved correlation, never mind causation.

makes no sense to you only because you are a "smart Democrat,and I am, as you once called me " a scared, bible clinging,gun carrying white republican vet, whose afraid of your new world order".  

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 2 weeks later...

I'm out of LIKE'S for today, but it sure do look good. I do have a question tho.....Is the bumper chrome or black? Also if you can find me a women with some Mack skills, would you be kind enough to send her my way? My B Model needs finishing. I'd be nice enough to send her back if need be. OH! and Gus looks mighty proud and I know your Grandfather is.

Blessings

Mike

• Like 2

On 3/24/2017 at 3:49 PM, TDBach said:

The Irony in this old truck: (My family is stunned..that's all I can say).  

Ready for this: 

#1: Gus was originally parked in the woods in September of 1971 for good (or so we thought).  Exact date unknown, but September is the 9th month, and Gus's fleet number was #9. I was born 8 years later...7(1+8) = 7(9)   (Grandma's math ha!)  (Gus is 71 years old this year).  

#2. Gus was removed from the woods on August 14th, 2014 and my grandpa came back from WWII on August 14th in 1946 (arrived in CA).
#3. My great uncle's name was "Robert" and his birthday was August 13th
#4. My birthday was also August 13th
#5. We heard Gus try to start on August 13th 2016 and Gus left for North Dakota for restoration on August 14th 2016
#6. I met my "Robert" on July 15th 2016....The Waubun parade is July 15th 2017...the day we are presenting Gus to grandma.    
#7. The Mack sits exactly 46 miles from the place where she was originally purchased for my great grandpa's fleet. 
#8. The tow truck that hauled Gus out of the woods: The last four digits of the towing company's phone number was "1946" Gus is a 1946
#9. I moved to ND in September for a new job: Start date was September 13th 2016......  9/13/16   (Gus was parked in September...and the number 13 keeps coming up!). 

#10. I changed my phone number after I moved to ND, and the first digits of my phone number are 337-67....If you look at the picture of the cab after we started restoration the numbers on the back of the cab say: EGX 3376....ironic?    The cab was broken down in December...my number was changed in September!  

#11.  My great grandpa August (Gus) was born on January 9th....1/9    In the Mack Fleet Picture...my grandpa drove truck #1 and Gus's number is 9....
#12. My grandma's birthday is also Jan 9th  1/9
#13.  After we brought the Mack out to ND, I stopped to get gas at a Cenex in Devil's Lake, and found a penny....the year was 1980....the year my Robert was born.  I kept it! 
#14.  We could not find the key to the Mack's original ignition...so we went to the hardware store in Garrison, and found a key that would  somewhat fit...there were only 9 of those keys left...so Robert didn't want to jinx anything and bought the entire set.  Robert was able to key the first one on the first try =1/9. 
#15.  My grandpa died November 1st 2009     11/1/2009
#16.  My great grandpa Arnold (his dad) was born on November 1st   (All public record!). 

So as my grandma sits and comes up with the ironic nature of old Gus...it often makes a person wonder if it was meant to be....thoughts?  

Tracy  

just for grins and giggles    gus and i are the same age -- same birth date as that of you and your uncle rob       so who said 13 was unlucky :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike said:

I'm out of LIKE'S for today, but it sure do look good. I do have a question tho.....Is the bumper chrome or black? Also if you can find me a women with some Mack skills, would you be kind enough to send her my way? My B Model needs finishing. I'd be nice enough to send her back if need be. OH! and Gus looks mighty proud and I know your Grandfather is.

Blessings

Mike

Ha!  Mike!  Thanks..we are pretty proud of it!  What type of finishing does your old Mack need?  

Maybe I could help! :) Oh we are finishing the bumper and it was originally green... I think it will stay  green.  

Tracy

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TDBach said:

Ha!  Mike!  Thanks..we are pretty proud of it!  What type of finishing does your old Mack need?  

Maybe I could help! :) Oh we are finishing the bumper and it was originally green... I think it will stay  green.  

Tracy

Thanks, your mighty kind for the help, but ole Mack needs parts painted and some powder coating and the list goes on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Thanks, your mighty kind for the help, but ole Mack needs parts painted and some powder coating and the list goes on.

Ya, they tend to have long lists!  I went to paint and body school so over the years I've painted for Toyota and a few body shops.. my specialty is welding and painting.  I'm getting back into the business and putting in a paint booth because there is a ton of work flowing in... and I'm a woman ha!  My goal is to make the painting cheaper for people on a restoration budget and still give them a high quality paint job.. I have a case tractor to do next, a 46 Chevy dump truck, a 49 Chevy 1/2 ton and a 53 Chevy truck in line already.. my poor old Twin City tractor has to take a back seat for a while! 

I love this business because the final outcome is worth every penny!  

Let me know if I can help in any way! 

Tracy

2 hours ago, TDBach said:

Ya, they tend to have long lists!  I went to paint and body school so over the years I've painted for Toyota and a few body shops.. my specialty is welding and painting.  I'm getting back into the business and putting in a paint booth because there is a ton of work flowing in... and I'm a woman ha!  My goal is to make the painting cheaper for people on a restoration budget and still give them a high quality paint job.. I have a case tractor to do next, a 46 Chevy dump truck, a 49 Chevy 1/2 ton and a 53 Chevy truck in line already.. my poor old Twin City tractor has to take a back seat for a while! 

I love this business because the final outcome is worth every penny!  

Let me know if I can help in any way! 

Tracy

By the time you get through with those projects, i'll probably be grayer hair than now. LOL Bout the best thing I can do is fix a mean breakfast and dinner. And I thought you were older than 13.   :huh:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike said:

By the time you get through with those projects, i'll probably be grayer hair than now. LOL Bout the best thing I can do is fix a mean breakfast and dinner. And I thought you were older than 13.   :huh:

37 ha! 

• Like 1