2 minutes ago, Willie dog said:

They are available for a limited time. Rush delivery available just in time for Christmas.  The perfect gift for the Mack Man who has everything and still needs more!!  

And doesn't change his own tires. Hehehe

• Like 1

i do not have to worry about looking for keys anymore. if they are not on top of the desk, i automatically got to the front door. where they are left in the lock tumbler after i unlock the door, and come in the house without taking the keys out of the door. 

after 5-6 months of looking for the damn truck keys at 4 am when trying to go to work and having no luck so grab the spare set only to find the missing keys in the outside cylinder, i now just automatically look there first.

• Like 2

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

On 12/10/2016 at 6:43 PM, fxfymn said:

Let's see.. I was taking the driveshaft out of a 4wd Dodge pick up while it was parked in the driveway which was sloped up from the street. The cross wouldn't free up from the yoke, so I pried/beat on it until it popped out. As I laid there I got to watch the truck roll over me, (Fortunately I was laying completely under the truck so it cleared me) out the driveway, and into a neighbor's tree which was pretty lucky since the next stop was the neighbor's house. Parking brake? Chock? What are those for?

been there, and done the "use the body as a wheel chock" more than once in my younger days too.

Edited by tjc transport
correct spelling

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

I remember my old welder stopped working. Wire wouldn't feed or anything, but the fan was on. I looked at new ones for a bit, but thought I'd have my old one looked over first. So off I take it to the welding shop, guy plugs it it and plays with power settings and pow, it starts welding. 

Turns out I had one of the power switches in between settings! 

To look on the bright side it was an easy fix.

2 hours ago, Willie dog said:

I wanted to get more height from the stands without having the top ratcheted up so far that it would wobble....so my "out of box" thinking was a steel wheel....nice wide base for the stand.....easy to find and best of all FREE!  

They are available for a limited time. Rush delivery available just in time for Christmas.  The perfect gift for the Mack Man who has everything and still needs more!!  

You can fabricate a standard version and a deluxe edition wired with a buzzer that sounds when it comes into contact with the wheel you are trying to mount.  Looks like there may be a market for it.

2 hours ago, tjc transport said:

i do not have to worry about looking for keys anymore. if they are not on top of the desk, i automatically got to the front door. where they are left in the lock tumbler after i unlock the door, and come in the house without taking the keys out of the door. 

after 5-6 months of looking for the damn truck keys at 4 am when trying to go to work and having no luck so grab the spare set only to find the missing keys in the outside cylinder, i now just automatically look there first.

Was doing granite blocks for the Orient Point Park access road after Sandy,, about a 40 or so mile ride from my yard to the end of the Northfork of Long Island. I walked 1 mile to the ferry office and called my wife to bring my spare keys for my truck. Waited almost two hours for her. She drove me to the truck and as I walked up to the door there were the keys in the lock.  Could have got away with it if she wasn't right next to me . . .

• Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

1 hour ago, B-42 said:

You can fabricat standard version and a deluxe edition wired with a buzzer that sounds when it comes into contact with the wheel you are trying to mount.  Looks like there may be a market for it.

Think of it like this.......I may have just invented 

3 hours ago, Hobert62 said:

And doesn't change his own tires. Hehehe

Or shouldn't!!!

• Like 2

Nah! Embarrassing is ranting about what a holes your neighbors are as you walk in to the house and see them sitting on the couch!

Pretty sure we have all done real stupid shit always seems to me... Everytime I slip fall.. always has to be one of two people rite there watching rite???. Bob

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I was just giving you a hard time about the jack stands, but in all seriousness I would not trust my life to the system you "developed". A good friend was paralyzed, and subsequently killed himself over it, when a set of jack stands slipped on a sloped wash bay floor and dropped a truck on him. A couple of hundred bucks for a real set of stands will look like a bargain compared to a couple of weeks in a hospital.

Even using 6x6 or 4x4 cribbing would be safer.

Edited by fxfymn
  • Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Having spent my entire working career in funeral  service, with the last 20 plus years owning my own funeral home, I have experienced several deaths due to improper support of a vehicle while being under it.  Also, included in this is not properly supporting a dump bed while working on it.  

A friend of mine was killed when his bus came down on him. He was leaving for vacation and decided to check something under the bus while waiting for his wife.  The bus was running and his dog was inside the bus.  He crawled partially under the bus and his dog started running around trying to find him and hit the dump valve for the air. The bus came down on him and was found when his wife came out to leave for their trip.

We can't be too careful when working on equipment.  

Denny

330-550-6020

A "Mack Pack" Charter Member

I agree with the good jack stand and proper support for a raised vehicle. 

I never trust even a hydraulic jack by itself.....the only thing standing between you and being crushed is a .39 cent o-ring.

I used the wheels to give me some more height without having the t-bar up so far that it would wobble. Even a stack of wood blocks can be unsteady. 

The wheels made a good flat base and to make sure nothing moved I welded the stands to the wheels. 

Itoo knew a man who was killed working under a raised dump bed with no support.....it was sad because he was one of those ole timers I learned a lot from as a youngster.  I had just spoken to him that morning and after lunch time he was gone.  The one good thing that came out of a bad situation was I never trusted anything raised without having some type of good support. 

Even though we have all been joking about my "unique" stands , safety is a serious business. 

• Like 2

Cribbing and stacking are different. When you crib you alternately cross the wood so every piece is oriented 90 degrees to the ones above and below it so it will not have a "hinge" point to collapse on. You should never stack shoring more than two blocks high, and then only if they are perpendicular to the load, without using the cross method to go higher.

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Cab overs also,have been known to be widowmakers. We don't think about this too often because "hoods" have been the norm for so long. Some old iron enthusiasts,might not have been out of the "Tonka stage" when we had 55-65ft length laws. Please let them know,if you suspect they may not be aware of power of leaky hydraulics. Like Willie said about the .39 cent o-ring,is very true.  Al

• Like 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA