The story behind Ford Truck's 13L "Ecotorq" engine

kscarbel2

Ford-Otosan Press Release  /  December 2, 2016

Watch how 13-liter Ford "Ecotorq" engines come to life in at the Ford-Otosan İnönü engine plant.

At Ford Trucks, we’re serious about trucking. It's why we designed our Cargo heavy truck range from the ground up to meet your needs and expectations. See your authorized Ford heavy truck dealer today for details, or visit the global Ford heavy truck website at https://www.fordtrucks.com.tr/

• Like 1

Ford impresses.

I speak with Ford-Otosan people on a regular basis. The amount of ambition and passion for Ford Trucks among the people there is absolutely amazing.

A solid engine, currently offered in 420hp and 480hp versions. Ought to offer a 450hp rating as well.

Setting it up to meet Euro-6 or EPA2010 is not problem using an SCR/cooled EGR combination. Purely for Euro-6,, an SCR-only configuration like Scania and Iveco offer is also feasible.

Note the air-to-water intercooler (aftercooler) mounted up front. I suspect that, with the current cab, there wasn't space for an air-to-air intercooler. So this temporary until the new, larger cab arrives.

Ford was itself behind the creation of the 7.3 and 9.0-liter in-line sixes. The 10.3L and 13L (actually 12.7) were acquired from Fiat Powertrain Technologies (FPT).

The 7.3 and 9.0 can meet Euro-6, so I'll say they can be adapted to the close equivalent EPA2010.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

I wondered about them going old school on the Charge air your likely correct and if they desire to raise the Hp they will have to go air to air to reach that goal in my mind ! I also see they didn't bolt the block together NO BUTRUS bolts or plate to secure the bottom end! BALLSY in my mind!

• Like 1

Am I correct in assuming, That. It's a (FPT) Cursor13 built under licence? with a couple of Ford "tweaks"..... Or Do I have the Bull by the Tail..??

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

5 hours ago, Hayseed said:

Am I correct in assuming, That. It's a (FPT) Cursor13 built under licence? with a couple of Ford "tweaks"..... Or Do I have the Bull by the Tail..??

It is not the Cursor13 you know from Iveco Trucks. I heard Ford acquired another Fiat Powertrain engine, previously used on New Holland agricultural machinery, and had AVL revise/update it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hayseed said:

The New Holland Tractor Engine Ford fitted to the LTS8000 down here in the early '90s, Wasn't much of a Success..

I felt the Brazilian New Holland 6.6-litre and particularly the 7.8-litre performed well in North America. Would you not agree Bob?

https://www.dieselhub.com/specs/ford-new-holland-6.6-7.8-diesel.html

9 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

I felt the Brazilian New Holland 6.6-litre and particularly the 7.8-litre performed well in North America. Would you not agree Bob?

https://www.dieselhub.com/specs/ford-new-holland-6.6-7.8-diesel.html

Kevin, Would agree.  I think the only thing that killed it was the changing EPA regs and  Ford did not want to spend the bucks it would have  taken to bring it in compliance.  One of the early test fleets was a big Maine oil jobber. Had a bunch of LN-8000 peddle trucks with the test motors.  I was always of the belief that its  success was partially due to the fact that as it was an ag motor, by design its block was super strong as often in ag applications the block was a structural member.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Horse said:

Kevin, Would agree.  I think the only thing that killed it was the changing EPA regs and  Ford did not want to spend the bucks it would have  taken to bring it in compliance.  One of the early test fleets was a big Maine oil jobber. Had a bunch of LN-8000 peddle trucks with the test motors.  I was always of the belief that its  success was partially due to the fact that as it was an  ag motor, by design its block was super strong as often in ag applications the block was a structural member.

Exactly. It was my understanding that tightening emissions regulations brought about their demise in North America. But today, I still see many 7.8-litre powered Louisvilles with the "Ford Diesel" emblem and the operators I'm able to question are extremely loyal to them.

18 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

Exactly. It was my understanding that tightening emissions regulations brought about their demise in North America. But today, I still see many 7.8-litre powered Louisvilles with the "Ford Diesel" emblem and the operators I'm able to question are extremely loyal to them.

Every one I know of was repowered Very early in they Life.. Mostly with B & C series Cummins I have seen a few with 3208 Cats. i even know of One repowered with a Cummins V903......

Parts were very expensive, & support was poor once Ford sold the trucks to Freightliner & the AG/construction  to CaseIH.

Local concrete plant owner told me he could buy a B series crate motor for the same price as rebuilding the tractor engine.....

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

We ran a few 7.8L's.  They were quiet and smooth, but didn't make a lot of power and were not particularly fuel efficient.  In an F series with an alligator hood they were very difficult to service, tilt hood a little better.  F series even had a little removable doghouse under the dash so you could get the valve cover off.  Quite large and heavy for their displacement and output.  Ours were pretty reliable, but seemed to leak a bit (particularly the oil coolers).  Parts were expensive and not to easy to get even when they were in production!  In almost every respect (except for noise level!) the Cummins 5.9L 'B' was better than the 6.6L, and the 8.3L 'C'  was better than the 7.8L.

The Cargo came to the U.S. in 1986 with the FNH, not a surprise since both engine and truck were made in Brazil.  In the late 80's Ford needed new diesels for the F and smaller L series trucks, as the Detroit 8.2L and Cat 3208 were going out of production.  The FNH was a good solution as the engine was already in the U.S., so basically the 6.6 replaced the Detroit and the 7.8 replaced the Cat in the F and L (C series was going away in 1990).  I think Ford looked at the FNH as a short-term solution as it was going to have trouble with the new EPA regulations and New Holland was going to be sold.  I do remember hearing that Ford was experimenting with an FNH diesel with HEUI injection, but I think the Cummins solution was cheap and easy.

Right around the time Ford started using Cummins engines in their medium duty trucks was when Ford started buying Cummins shares, and that lead to speculation that Ford was going to buy Cummins outright and start using the B5.9 in F series pickups.  I knew guys that were waiting for that to happen........    

• Like 2