An open letter to the Snowflakes

41chevy

3 minutes ago, TeamsterGrrrl said:

Nabisco has closed a ton of plants, used to have one in Minneapolis too. That's nothing compared to the list of plants Hostess closed, the major companies merged into Hostess (Continental and Interstate) had well over 100 bakeries three decades ago. When they shut down their were only 35 still baking, and only about  8 have reopened under new ownership.

Ahhhhh yes.......Using page 6 out of "Liberals for Dummies" handbook I see....When confronted with fact either ignore the question or spin it in another direction. Union Jobs (GASP!) were lost to Mexico in favor of cheaper labor. Please address without consulting aforementioned handbook. 

Edited by 1958 F.W.D.
  • Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Guy who replaced me at Hostess put my assigned truck in a lake, he's lucky to have survived. Looks like my job at the Postal Service was never filled, when I retired we had a bit over 100 drivers in our unit, last I checked they were down in the 60s. And the union definitely did me a favor... If it wasn't for my union pension I'd still be working like you folks. The overtime pay our union got (truck drivers are exempt from FLSA) went straight into my IRAs, haven't even touched them yet.

It's called reduction in workforce through attrition. Unnecessary positions are not filled after retirement. Because you're union, they COULDN'T fire you when the cost savings might have made a difference. The USPS has been bleeding for years, couldn't survive without taxpayer dollars to prop it up. I say let it go, FedEx and UPS will figure out how to deliver mail efficiently. Snail mail is old tech, anyway. Another factor in workforce reduction is automation, they most likely can be more productive with 60 workers than what used to take 100.

I still don't understand what putting a truck in a lake has to do with labor cost.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 1958 F.W.D. said:

Ahhhhh yes.......Using page 6 out of "Liberals for Dummies" handbook I see....When confronted with fact either ignore the question or spin it in another direction. Union Jobs (GASP!) were lost to Mexico in favor of cheaper labor. Please address without consulting aforementioned handbook. 

No, just putting it in perspective, and I think NAFTA was a mistake and will always oppose the loss of union jobs to low wage countries. And unlike most of you, I've been on the frontline of bakery closings... I had to do an impromptu news conference in front of Hostess Minneapolis bakery on the day they announced the closing, while on my break. We fought that closing with everything we had, got some useful concessions and saved the distribution jobs but couldn't save the bakery.

Like I said, a lot of you guys haven't been on the inside and don't know what you're talking about.

1 minute ago, TeamsterGrrrl said:

Like I said, a lot of you guys haven't been on the inside and don't know what you're talking about.

You are right. I am sorry. All I know is that Union jobs (GASP!) were lost to Mexico. When asked why, the parent company of Kraft (who owns Nabisco) said "we can't deal with the unions anymore." 

My apologies. 

• Like 2

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Just now, Underdog said:

It's called reduction in workforce through attrition. Unnecessary positions are not filled after retirement. Because you're union, they COULDN'T fire you when the cost savings might have made a difference. The USPS has been bleeding for years, couldn't survive without taxpayer dollars to prop it up. I say let it go, FedEx and UPS will figure out how to deliver mail efficiently. Snail mail is old tech, anyway. Another factor in workforce reduction is automation, they most likely can be more productive with 60 workers than what used to take 100.

Again, get your facts straight- USPS is not subsidized by the government. If anything, USPS is subsidizing the government by being forced to prepay a lifetime of health care for each new hire.

No, we've been on the outside looking in, fully aware of the REASONS the union jobs went away!!! I agree NAFTA was a bad deal for American workers, but what about all the jobs that moved south to right-to-work states, and the realignment of trucking AWAY from unions? Trucks can't be outsourced overseas, but I can't blame any company of any size for attempting to cut cost and operate more efficiently. I feel quite comfortable working an honest day for honest pay, and I sleep well at night.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TeamsterGrrrl said:

You're racism is showing. And being that we're their guests, we ought treat them with respect.

Really?! Stating a fact is racist you? How about everyone be treated fairly and with respect? People shouldn't get a leg up on someone simply based on race or gender. Hard work ethic and a willingness to do a darn good job at the bottom is why you should get a job. By the way you sure call more people more names than anyone else on here. 

• Like 2

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

5 hours ago, TeamsterGrrrl said:

Nabisco has closed a ton of plants, used to have one in Minneapolis too. That's nothing compared to the list of plants Hostess closed, the major companies merged into Hostess (Continental and Interstate) had well over 100 bakeries three decades ago. When they shut down their were only 35 still baking, and only about  8 have reopened under new ownership.

Amazing that 8 dared try to operate....  with the union buzzards circling around over head. Maybe they figured out something the other 70 or so plants couldn't.

31 minutes ago, Mcrafty1 said:

Amazing that 8 dared try to operate....  with the union buzzards circling around over head. Maybe they figured out something the other 70 or so plants couldn't.

The 8 plants were bought by 3 different buyers. US Bakeries accepted the union contract at 2 and 2 New Hostess plants voted to unionize after reopening.

1 hour ago, HeavyGunner said:

Really?! Stating a fact is racist you? How about everyone be treated fairly and with respect? People shouldn't get a leg up on someone simply based on race or gender. Hard work ethic and a willingness to do a damn good job at the bottom is why you should get a job. By the way you sure call more people more names than anyone else on here. 

Here's how you trashed Indians:

"Sounds as bad as it is here when companies have to follow Tero laws on the Rez. You have to hire so many Indians per capita to get anything done on the Rez including state highways. The trouble is getting any of them to show up for more than a day much less after they get their first paycheck. So it's easier to pay them to sit and not screw anything up and even then they rarely show up." 

I know plenty of hard working Indians. But you have labeled entire ethnic groups as lazy, and in this case ethnic groups which provided the model for our own democracy. You are fortunate that they have been much more tolerance of immigrants than you...

On 11/27/2016 at 7:27 PM, other dog said:

Overnite was a non-union company, the largest non-union co. I believe,  and just about everybody that worked there talks about what a great company it was to work for before UPS took them over. They have an Overnite facebook page for former workers, have reunions, etc. but I haven't seen or heard any of them say anything about it being great after UPS.

The soul of Overnite changed when the legendary Harwood Cochrane sold it to Union Pacific in 1986. The company was never the same afterward. Union Pacific failed to find a new "leader" to walk in Harwood Cochrane's footsteps.

Overnite was Harwood Cochrane, and Harwood Cochrane was Overnite.

Related reading - http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/46226-legendary-overnite-transportation-founder-j-harwood-cochrane-dies-at-103/#comment-340549

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

The soul of Overnite changed when the legendary Harwood Cochrane sold it to Union Pacific in 1986. The company was never the same afterward. Union Pacific failed to find a new "leader" to walk in Harwood Cochrane's footsteps.

Overnite was Harwood Cochrane, and Harwood Cochrane was Overnite.

I've never heard of anyone having anything bad to say about the man.

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

31 minutes ago, Bobby j said:

I worked 27 1/2 years for overnite.....best years of my working life.....you were not a number but a person....as the saying goes if you cut me I would bleed blue and grey......Harwood was a truckers trucker nobody could come close to filling his shoes....by the way he just passed away this summer at 103 years of age....he put together a team that fought and kept the union out,paid us well,good benefits,etc. I've seen a lot of sweeping the dock, etc just to make your time instead of being laid off. He filled suit against the teamsters and won...he won a ton of money and toted the cancelled checks in his pocket as they were signed by Jimmy Hoffa...he also took possession of their union hall in Charlotte n.c. 

2 1/2 years of working under the union at ups I'd have to say worst working years of my life......I think union was a good thing in the early days for wages,working conditions,etc. but it's useless as teats on a boar hog now.....all it does is protect deadbeats and encourages laziness.......lots of things gone in America now due to unions pricing them outta business anybody with half a brain can see this....just my two cents......Bobby j.

I agree 100%

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Again you don't know what you're talking about. Have you read Hostess and the prior company's financials going back to the company's founding in the 1920s? I have. Have you read thousands of pages of bankruptcy filings? I have. Hostess was done in by a variety of factors- poor management, unfair trade, a failed bread reformulation, etc.. There is also the matter of Walmart being several months behind in paying for product delivered while Hostess paid millions in kickback "slotting fees". Haven't had time to fully investigate that, but given that Walmart has about 20% of the U.S. Bakery market, Walmart's slow payment alone may have finally driven Hostess to discontinue operations. As far as pension costs killing Hostess, they made no pension payments for their last year of operation and still couldn't survive, and the unions gave them several years of wage and work rule givebacks as well. So your blaming the unions for Hostess demise has no basis in fact, and I've found no authoritative business scholar who blamed the unions for Hostess demise. Throw in the fact that Hostess competitors are profitable with union workforces and the fact that U.S Bakeries has bought and restarted production at two former hostess bakeries and is making a profit where Hostess couldn't, and your assertion in robustly disproven.

But I expect you'll as usual ignore the facts and rely on your usual bigotry to blame whatever has gone wrong on unions, etc....

OK you win, I'll let your union in. I need experienced drivers that can handle half million pound loads, got any, Oh you will train them ??? Really, I don't think the insurance company will go for that, have to have passports, we have a bad habit of going overseas, afraid of guns and bullets. Well that means no Middle East for you. Don't like MREs, that means no Africa for you. Your intestines will be in the toilet if you eat the food down there (mostly) or at least you will come home with a tube in your butt draining the infection. Overtime, whats that??? This is an adventure, you should pay us. What do you mean you can't sleep just because the clock is 12 hours off. Means you get to work in your sleep. Can't sleep in an airport?? Guess you'll miss your flight, lay over in Amsterdam, off to the banana bar (every one likes bananas) you stay in and sleep, you're looking a little worn out and we are just getting started.