An open letter to the Snowflakes

41chevy

It's a simple matter of bargaining power... Walmart, Costco, and the big fleets get much lower prices on everything because they can buy in volume. A small retailer, one truck operator, or solitary worker has little bargaining power and has to accept whatever price the big companies offer.

Teamsters are no better or worse than any other people,I've known I've known lazy ones and I've known hard working ones,I've seen hard working ones give the lazy ones hell for being lazy! Anyone who has loaded a 12 car rack when it's 90 degrees isn't lazy! Anyone who has pulled a set of light loaded pups over Elk mountain in Wyoming in midwinter with a 40 mph crosswind isn't lazy! Working people however well paid(actually properly paid) aren't the ones that bankrupt companies it is poor management and ridiculously high CEO salaries! I haven't heard anything recently about UPS being bankrupt! The last of the teamster fixed pensions only stand out because they are the last! I can remember when all workers at  large companies got fixed pensions! When the 20 year teamster freight haulers and car haulers were fighting the ice and snow on the Pa turnpike the 20 year United steel workers were taking a 20 wk paid vacation(1 week for each year worked) By the way happy thanksgiving and hope you beat that thing,Hat City ! On a sour note...now I have someone to blame for how small the Twinkies are inside the big wrapper😁

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

6 hours ago, Underdog said:

Or work for yourself and plan accordingly and be beholden to no one... I'd like to do away with Social Security as well... I can get a better return by putting my money in a savings account.

I ended up at one point after Sandy with 3 of my job sites protected by the big inflatable rats, so good of the union to mark my sites...last job site they didn't put up a rat it was too cold so they sat in a few cars.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

3 hours ago, TeamsterGrrrl said:

David, you were working under prevailing wage law and thus got to freeload on union wages. If you were real union, you'd have a pension to enjoy instead of displaying your jealousy of union workers.

Yes, once again, I encourage you to come have dinner at my house with some of my elderly neighbors who are retirees of Bethlehem Steel.....Who are "enjoying" their Union pension by being forced to work 40+ hours a week to be able to survive. 

Union is a 5-Letter dirty word in the Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton areas of the Lehigh Valley of eastern Pa. 

Edited by 1958 F.W.D.
  • Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

union is a dirty word around here too. 32 years in the union to find out when going to retire they pissed away almost all of the annuity fund money. i got $34,000 out of the $342,000 i put into the annuity. and my monthly pension payout is $0 because the pension fund is bankrupt because of improper handling of the funds.

• Like 2

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

union is a dirty word around here too. 32 years in the union to find out when going to retire they pissed away almost all of the annuity fund money. i got $34,000 out of the $342,000 i put into the annuity. and my monthly pension payout is $0 because the pension fund is bankrupt because of improper handling of the funds.

This is my problem with unions. I don't begrudge any individual employee for taking the best deal being offered at the time, but most of it is unsustainable, especially as the markets have changed over the past 40 years, and the union bosses greed and corruption ruins it for everyone. MOST, not all, of the working stiffs are not smart enough to see how they are being taken advantage of.

If your pension is worthless, it's not your union's fault- It's either a pre-ERISA pension or was underfunded because the company was able to use a loophole to claim it was overfunded and quit paying into it. Because my Teamster pension is well managed, there have been no benefit cuts even after the biggest employer went bankrupt.

If your pension is worthless, it's not your union's fault- It's either a pre-ERISA pension or was underfunded because the company was able to use a loophole to claim it was overfunded and quit paying into it. Because my Teamster pension is well managed, there have been no benefit cuts even after the biggest employer went bankrupt.

You said it yourself... Your fund is well managed, good for you. Many were not, because the union bosses got greedy or did not change with market conditions. And many employees never saw it coming, because they were misled. You can avoid all this heartache, hatred and blame by being self employed. Nothing is guaranteed nowadays. At least if it goes wrong, I know who to be mad at.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

You said it yourself... Your fund is well managed, good for you. Many were not, because the union bosses got greedy or did not change with market conditions. And many employees never saw it coming, because they were misled. You can avoid all this heartache, hatred and blame by being self employed. Nothing is guaranteed nowadays. At least if it goes wrong, I know who to be mad at.

exactly this. the local leaders were the scum of the earth. made all kinds of false statements and hid their greed/graft from everyone until it was too late.

plus about 15 years ago they started giving concessions to the laborers local just like the operating engineers did and ended up giving teamsters jobs away.

operating engineers first let the companies go without an oiler.  they then agreed to let the laborers run the machine for the "little job" instead of bringing in an operator for the whole day.

then the companies went to the teamsters and said we do not need a driver for the whole day, we only need to move one load on site. the operating engineers let us do it, will you? and the teamsters said yes.

come 10 years later and there are no more new teamster jobs. so money going out to money coming in starts to differ. soon there is one dollar going out for every ten cents coming in.

plus with the mismanagement of the funds, illegal transferring of moneys from annuity and pension funds to general funds to pay bribes and political payouts for lobbyists, and extremely inflated union officials pay, there is no more money left in the kitty.

then when asked where the money went, the fund manager says "i don't know, we made poor market choices"

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

the government employees/ unions as well were greedy and corrupt, didn't plan on the gravy train coming to an end, all the good jobs going away. Auto makers in Detroit, steel mills in PA, for examples, priced themselves out of competitiveness, and jobs went overseas or south to right-to-work states. City and county governments lost the big tax base, so now can't fund their pension commitment.

I have a friend who is a retired teamster, started with North Penn, then CF until they went under, and he retired at Yellow Freight. He tells me CF was the best job he ever had, Yellow was the worst. CF's biggest mistake was they tried to take care of their employees AND be competitive. Not sustainable in the new marketplace.