Ford Market News

kscarbel2

Looked at the Transit Connect about a year ago, damn nice little truck- Boxy in the back like a van should be for lots of useful space but built low with front wheel drive for car like handling. Ended up getting another new TDI when the EPA finally approved a fix, but if Ford can't provide a diesel Ranger I may buy a diesel Transit Connect instead.

Interesting update and surprised but happy about the diesel option. I am disappointed in the mpg though for a diesel but then again its a 7 passenger. Hope this is a signal for more diesel engines in Fords.

A bigger splash for Ford in the U.S commercial van market I think would be to introduce the medium size Transit Custom here and don't wait and see how the Mercedes Metris does. There are a large segment of customers who want a van that's big enough to  fit a sheet of plywood or sheetrock bit not too big to fit in certain garages or spaces. Thats one reason  many hang on to old Chevy Astros/GMC Astro. Speaking of GM, they are way behind in the commercial van business.

Ford already played catch up ( albeit successfully) and missed a lot of opportunities by waiting to play  catch up with the big Transit after the Sprinter made major in roads into the van market. This, after having the Transit overseas for decades.  My dad's first vehicle was a 1968 Ford Transit 

• Like 1

Just now, Red Horse said:

Heard two potential announcements for Work Truck Show in March

-4 WD Transit

- Mid size Transit between Connect and the full size.

Unfortunately, no rumors about new gas engine for 650-750 or a 6 cyl diesel.

Also read and heard that the Fusion cars will be dropped

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

15 minutes ago, Red Horse said:

Heard two potential announcements for Work Truck Show in March

-4 WD Transit

- Mid size Transit between Connect and the full size.

Unfortunately, no rumors about new gas engine for 650-750 or a 6 cyl diesel.

A 4wd Transit would make sense especially since it is available over seas and that Sprinter offers it too. The Transit's platform is one of the most flexible in Ford's line up. it can be RWD, FWD or 4WD.

Hope you are right about the midsize, probably the Custom. i haven't heard that through my Ford grapevine.

However, I did hear of a large V8 maybe 7 liters replacing the V10 an being offered int he 650-750.

15 minutes ago, 41chevy said:

Ugh! At this point nothing would surprise me.  This guy Hackett-or as some say.."Hatchett"- so far does not seem to be doing anything but spout buzz words.  For sure he is no Alan Mulally.  I think Bill Ford has swallowed the "autonomous/electrification thing hook line and sinker.

Supposedly, they are going to kill the Taurus after a short 2019 model run.  If they kill the Fusion too, then they have no sedan bigger than a  Focus.  

Hate to see the Taurus go.  I have a 2010 SHO that is pushing 96,000.  In 96,000, had to replace the battery and the right "blend door" in the AC failed.  But in typical Ford fashion, they have done nothing to upgrade the car or advertise it-just like the Crown Vic. Now they are building a new Taurus in China that is beautiful-but of course-not here!

34 minutes ago, 41chevy said:

A typical Hackettisim, he cast doubts about the future of a car Ford sells 200k of and whose platform underpins 5 cars int he NA market. Totally oblivious to the impact to the residual value and perception of the car. Many people get turned off from a car if there are rumors it will be discontinued.

Yes the market has shifted to CUVs for many reasons, but not everyone wants one. That is why Ford still sells plenty of them and why the Korean and Japanese are redesigning and promoting their midsize sedans. It offers AWD while many competitors don't.

Ford is famous for leaving gaps in its lineup as it grasps for bigger share in another segment, then has to play catch up later. For example, the Ranger and 7 pass Lincoln mid size SUV like the Aviator.

I sold my self a 17 Ford Fusion Sport. A truly amazing car with unique features. Ford shows the pictures of the Sport in almost all the marketing materials of the Fusion, but has poorly marketed the car for what it really is. However the Fusion since it was introduced has been one Fords highest quality and best sedans it ever offered.

The Transit Custom and 7 liter gas V8s are already announced and sound like done deals, but we've been fooled before. The Taurus has been a slow seller with even the police fleets mostly migrating to the Explorer, but kill the Fusion when it's selling well over 100,000 a year? But the diesel is a pleasant surprise after all the electric car BS we've been hearing from Hachette lately, perhaps there's more good news to come?

7 minutes ago, Jamaican Bulldog said:

A typical Hackettisim, he cast doubts about the future of a car Ford sells 200k of and whose platform underpins 5 cars int he NA market. Totally oblivious to the impact to the residual value and perception of the car. Many people get turned off from a car if there are rumors it will be discontinued.

Yes the market has shifted to CUVs for many reasons, but not everyone wants one. That is why Ford still sells plenty of them and why the Korean and Japanese are redesigning and promoting their midsize sedans. It offers AWD while many competitors don't.

Ford is famous for leaving gaps in its lineup as it grasps for bigger share in another segment, then has to play catch up later. For example, the Ranger and 7 pass Lincoln mid size SUV like the Aviator.

I sold my self a 17 Ford Fusion Sport. A truly amazing car with unique features. Ford shows the pictures of the Sport in almost all the marketing materials of the Fusion, but has poorly marketed the car for what it really is. However the Fusion since it was introduced has been one Fords highest quality and best sedans it ever offered.

Well JB I hear you on the Fusion Sport.  I do believe it has more interior room than the Taurus correct?  And what you say about the Koreans and the Japanese is so true.  Apparently they haven't read the same tea leaves that Hackett reads because it seems they are continually updating their four door sedans. The current Taurus is 8 model years old and the only changes have been very minor.  I recognize that  Fields is more responsible for that error but Hackett doesn't seem to be addressing that.  

In the meantime, it seems every other year or so there is an upgraded Camry and a new Kia or Hyundai.

23 hours ago, Jamaican Bulldog said:

Korea Inc., led by leading Audi and BMW veteran designers like Peter Schreyer, have Detroit and Japan Inc. scared to death.

23 hours ago, Red Horse said:

Well JB I hear you on the Fusion Sport.  I do believe it has more interior room than the Taurus correct?  And what you say about the Koreans and the Japanese is so true.  Apparently they haven't read the same tea leaves that Hackett reads because it seems they are continually updating their four door sedans. The current Taurus is 8 model years old and the only changes have been very minor.  I recognize that  Fields is more responsible for that error but Hackett doesn't seem to be addressing that.  

In the meantime, it seems every other year or so there is an upgraded Camry and a new Kia or Hyundai.

In some ways the Fusion has more interior room and in some ways the Taurus still has more, but not much more for a large car. One of the problems for the Taurus is that the large center console takes away room especially for a tall or big person. The current Taurus dates back to the old Volvo platform that underpined the short lived Ford 500 and Freestyle.

The large car market has really fallen off not only because CUV have become more popular but because of demographics. There are less of the older population still driving that favors large cars. Plus with a older population, the crossovers are easier to get in and out of etc.

Many police and law enforcement officers also prefer the SUVs for getting in and out off and to fit their equipment etc.

Demand for midsize cars may be falling but their platforms are still very important to underpin many variants of other cars and crossovers. How many vehicles in the Toyota/Lexus lineup are spawned from the Toyota Camry. Same for the Honda Accord for Honda/Acura and of course the Ford Fusion for Ford/Lincoln.

15 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

Korea Inc., led by leading Audi and BMW veteran designers like Peter Schreyer, have Detroit and Japan Inc. scared to death.

Yep so right about that. Korean Inc used to be made fun of by many competitors, some who don't even exist anymore at least in the U.S. Some of the newer designs can be easily mistaken for more respected brands, and the quality also competes has improved substantially.  

8 minutes ago, Jamaican Bulldog said:

Yep so right about that. Korean Inc used to be made fun of by many competitors, some who don't even exist anymore at least in the U.S. Some of the newer designs can be easily mistaken for more respected brands, and the quality also competes has improved substantially.  

to add to that-five minutes ago watching the Olympics, the commentators reference the technological power of So.Korea.  No doubt about it.

Ford rushes to build more SUVs

Michael Martinez, Automotive News  /  February 12, 2018

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Ford and Lincoln dealers can't get enough of their biggest, most expensive SUVs to keep up with customer demand, which is a pretty good problem to have. But it's a problem nonetheless, one that Ford Motor Co. is addressing with a $25 million investment to speed up the assembly line here.

The automaker planned to announce the upgrade to its Kentucky Truck Plant on Monday, Feb. 12. The investment, on top of $900 million already spent on the plant to launch the 2018 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator, will allow Ford to build 25 percent more of the SUVs this year than originally planned.

"It's important for this plant to produce more vehicles," Joe Hinrichs, Ford's president of global markets, told reporters here. "In this segment, people will pay for a great product. The dealer feedback has been even stronger than we've hoped for."

Retail sales of the vehicles skyrocketed in January, up 59 percent for the Expedition and 132 percent for the Navigator. (Ford attributed a 15 percent decline in total Expedition sales to the timing of fleet orders.)

The highly profitable SUVs are turning on dealer lots almost as fast as they can be unloaded from delivery trucks.

It had been a decade since the Navigator was fully redesigned, and 20 years since the Expedition got a thorough overhaul.

"Both of the vehicles are doing really well for us," Ford sales analyst Erich Merkle said. "Because they're turning so fast, we're going to do everything we can to meet the demand that's out there."

CEO Jim Hackett has banned Ford employees from ordering Navigators or Expeditions for personal use, a source with direct knowledge of the directive told Automotive News. Typically, employees who get vehicles through the company's manager lease program can have their pick of the lineup, excluding some high-performance models. Restrictions on mainstream vehicles are rare, if not unprecedented, the source said.

The Expedition — starting at $52,890, including shipping — is averaging just 11 days on dealer lots. The average transaction price rose $7,800 in January thanks to a 29 percent mix of the most expensive Platinum trim, which starts at $76,595. That's double the mix of Platinum models sold of the outgoing SUV, Merkle said.

Navigator sales are up triple digits in every region of the country, including a 135 percent gain in Ford's western sales region, which includes California, Merkle said.

Average transaction prices surged in January, up $21,300 over the same month last year. That's because 84 percent of sales were of the high-end Reserve ($82,400 sticker) and Black Label ($96,650 sticker) trims.

"We could have sold a lot more in January if we had them," Mark LaNeve, Ford's vice president for U.S. marketing, sales and service, said on a Feb. 1 conference call.

Kevin Collins, president of Bill Collins Ford-Lincoln in Louisville, said Expeditions and Navigators are sitting at his store for only five or six days before they're sold.

"Stock is low right now and they're selling very, very well," he said. "We hope the days supply will continue at that rate because they're expensive; a dealer can't afford to have them sitting around too long."

Collins said customers have been impressed with both the exterior style changes and the interior technology.

"They're fine, fine products that we're really proud of," he said.

No surprise, the new Expedition/Navigator totally blow GM's ancient stretched pickups (Tahoe, Suburban, etc.) out of the water.

Not all good corporate news at Ford today though, they fell off Ethisphere's most ethical companies list https://www.worldsmostethicalcompanies.com/honorees/  for the first time in years. Perhaps a reflection of the changing faces and general confusion at the top of the "glass house" Ford HQ?

New truck engine to be built at the Ford Annex plant in Windsor

CBC News  /  February 15, 2018

The state-of-the-art 7X engine will start being built in 2019

Ford union officials confirmed today some new details about the "state-of-the-art" truck engine that will be made at the Ford Annex plant Windsor.

Tim Little, vice president of Unifor Local 200, said the plant is ready to be re-tooled with equipment to build the new engine called the 7X. 

"It's ready, the floors are done, it's painted ready to go for the arrival of new equipment to build a future engine for Ford trucks," he said. 

John D'Agnolo, president of Unifor Local 200, said the 7X will replace the 6.8 engine, which is used in larger Ford truck models like the F-Series [including the F-650 and F-750].

He said machinery will arrive at the plant in April, and work on the new engine will begin in 2019.

"Some of the trades are already in there starting to learn all the processes, so it's moving quite quickly," he said.

D'Agnolo said the new engine program was part of their last bargaining agreement with Ford.  

Added jobs

Little said the union is working with Ford on staffing.

"It will mean that our laid off members will return, we don't have too many left, and then it will mean an opportunity for some who lost their jobs entirely to be hired...and, maybe an opportunity to bring some people back who moved away to other plants," he said. 

D'Agnolo said he anticipates the new engine will bring between 450 and 500 jobs.

"They (members) are just happy," he said. "It's a comfort zone to know that you have product coming, you have a little more security."    

The details released today stem from an announcement made in 2016 about a $600-million investment by Ford in the plant.

Ford plant in Windsor being transformed to build new engine

Windsor Star  /  February 15, 2018

A new seven-litre, V8 truck engine, expected to be called the 7X, should be in production at the Windsor Engine plant's Annex site by the end of the year, it was confirmed Thursday.

The $613-million investment Ford of Canada committed to its Windsor operations during 2016 contract negotiations with Unifor is starting to come to life.

A new seven-litre, V8 truck engine, expected to be called the 7X, should be in production at the Windsor Engine plant’s Annex site by the end of the year, it was confirmed Thursday.

“We are going to see equipment come in as early as March,” Tony Savoni, site manager for Ford operations in Windsor, said during a United Way announcement at the Annex off Seminole Street.

“Right now the teams are laying out our strategy for installation. This building will be full and we hope to be moving some parts by November,” he said.

The Annex site has been emptied, floors cleaned and painting done to prepare for the new equipment that will be used to build engines.

Savoni said the block and rod line should arrive in March and by July the crank line, head line and assembly line will be in place. Computer numerical control (CNC) equipment — highly automated machine tools — will be used to build the engines.

It “is the way of the future,” allowing for quick retooling and upgrading for future products, Savoni said. “Within those CNCs there’s some new technology that we are going to teach our people how to use.”

The investment shows faith in the Windsor workforce, he said. “We have a lot of hardworking people that come in here and they understand how to make a good, quality product and they have the pride that goes along with it.”

Engines should be coming off the line by the end of the year, but those will likely be put in test vehicles, he said.

The new V8 engine will replace the 6.8-litre, V10 engine used in Ford’s F-series trucks. Savoni wouldn’t say how many jobs the new engine will create.

Ford agreed to invest $613 million in its Windsor operations as part of its last contract with Unifor, settled in late 2016.

In March 2017, the company announced a $1.2-billion plan to transform its Windsor operations to which the federal and provincial governments are contributing $204.8 million. At the time, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said the investment would create or maintain 800 jobs.

image 4.jpg

My neighbor has a large Ford Transit  transit ,thought not the super sized one it it plenty big in side and the roof is over 6' high .I was driving it a couple of weeks ago and  and spent some time looking it over , and it appeared well built .Looked it 14 or 16 gauge steel was used in body construction ,massive storage over the windshield .Unless GMC comes out with something better I would look to get one next.

Raj Nair leaves Ford over 'inappropriate behavior'

Michael Martinez, Automotive News  /  February 21, 2018

DETROIT -- Raj Nair, president of Ford Motor Co. in North America, has left the automaker after he was accused of "inappropriate behavior," Ford said Wednesday.

Ford, in a statement, said an internal investigation found that "certain behavior by Nair was inconsistent with the company's code of conduct." It did not divulge the nature of the complaint, which a spokesman said was submitted anonymously through a 24-hour company hotline. Ford said it had not previously received any such allegations against Nair.

Nair had been placed on leave during the investigation, which was conducted within the past few weeks and involved a small number of incidents, Ford said. His departure is effective immediately, and a spokesman said his successor will be named within days.

CEO Jim Hackett said Ford "made this decision after a thorough review and careful consideration. Ford is deeply committed to providing and nurturing a safe and respectful culture and we expect our leaders to fully uphold these values." 

In the statement, Nair, 53, said, "I sincerely regret that there have been instances where I have not exhibited leadership behaviors consistent with the principles that the company and I have always espoused. I continue to have the utmost faith in the people of Ford Motor Company and wish them continued success in the future."

Reached by phone at his home earlier Wednesday afternoon, Nair declined to comment to Automotive News when asked about his employment status with Ford.

CFRA Research analyst Efraim Levy cited Nair’s ouster in lowering his rating of Ford shares Wednesday to “hold” from “buy.”

“While we believe the company has a deep enough management bench to replace Mr. Nair with little disruption,” Levy wrote, “the new leader will face the challenges of an industry that will see rapid change in the medium- and long-term, while sales volume contracts in the U.S. in 2018.” 

Before being named to his latest position in May 2017, Nair was Ford's head of product development and chief technical officer. He oversaw the launch of the 2016 GT supercar, aluminum-bodied F-150 and 50th-anniversary Mustang, among a plethora of other vehicles. Less than two weeks ago, Nair took delivery of the first GT produced for the 2018 model year.

Nair's tenure as product boss wasn't without controversy. The automaker twice had to lower mileage claims for its C-Max crossover and reimburse owners when the vehicle didn't achieve the rating originally advertised.

Nair started at Ford in 1987 as a body and assembly operations launch engineer and held various positions on more than 11 vehicle programs in 13 assembly plants, according to Ford's media website. He also worked on assignments in Europe, South America and Asia Pacific.

Days before Jim Hackett was named CEO, Ford last year awarded Nair a $5 million retention bonus that would vest in May of 2020.

image 4.jpg

Ford picks Kumar Galhotra to replace Raj Nair as North America chief

Michael Martinez, Automotive News  /  February 22, 2018

DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. on Thursday tapped Kumar Galhotra, a company veteran who steered the Lincoln luxury brand back to respectability, to replace Raj Nair, who was ousted Wednesday after an internal investigation uncovered "inappropriate behavior," as its president of North America.

Galhotra, 52, will take over Nair's duties in North America on March 1. He previously was group vice president, Lincoln and Ford's chief marketing officer. Galhotra had added chief marketing officer to his duties Nov. 1 last year.

"Kumar is an incredibly talented executive with a special feel for product and brand. He is also a seasoned leader who knows how to drive a business transformation," Jim Farley, Ford's president of global markets, said in a statement. "Kumar is the right person to lead our North American business to new levels of operational fitness, product and brand excellence, and profitability."

Joy Falotico will take over Galhotra's duties as group vice president of Lincoln and chief marketing officer, effective March 1.

Falotico, 50, previously was CEO of Ford Credit. She will continue to serve as its chairman.

"Joy has been a driving force behind not only Ford Credit's consistently strong financial performance but also its business model innovation and transition to a digital customer platform," Farley said. "She brings marketing experience and a deep customer focus as Ford enters a very busy new product launch period to drive growth in revenue and profitability."

Additional appointments:

• David McClelland will succeed Falotico as CEO of Ford Credit. McClelland, 48, was most recently executive vice president, marketing and Asia Pacific.

• Stuart Rowley was named COO of North America, and will report to Galhotra. Rowley, 50, was previously vice president of strategy. He will be responsible "for driving the redesign of the North American business to improve its overall fitness," Ford said.

• John Lawler will succeed Rowley as vice president of strategy. Lawler, 51, will report to CFO Bob Shanks. He was most recently Ford's corporate controller.

• Cathy O'Callaghan, 49, will succeed Lawler as Ford's corporate controller. She most recently was CFO of Ford South America.

image 4.jpg

XL Hybrids to Electrify Ford's F-250 Pickup

Heavy Duty Trucking (HDT)  /   February 27, 2018

XL Hybrids will offer an electrified 2018 Ford F-250 pickup to commercial and municipal fleets that will be unveiled at NTEA's Work Truck Show in Indianapolis in early March, the company announced.

The battery-electric hybrid F-250 will be equipped with the vehicle modifier's XLH hybrid drive system that's expected to increase fuel economy by 25% and significantly reduce carbon-dioxide emissions.

Production of the hybrid F-250 conversions will begin in March. The Work Truck Show is set for March 6 to 9 in Indianapolis.

XL Hybrids will also make its technology available on more F-150 pickups, by adding SuperCrew models. The company now offers F-150s with its XLP plug-in hybrid electric system that improves fuel economy by 50%, according to the company.

"Ford trucks are in high demand by XL's fleet customers, so we developed our hybrid-electric upfit solutions for both the F-150 and F-250 pickup to support needs for power, payload, as well as better fuel economy,” said Clay Siegert, the company's chief operating officer.

XL Hybrids installs its XLH hybrid and XLP plug-in systems in several hours and uses Ford's ship-through process. The vehicle retains its factory warranty, and receives a three-year, 75,000-mile warranty from XL on the hybrid powertrain.

XLH and XLP will also include the XL Link cloud-based big data analytics system, which collects millions of operational data points and miles-per-gallon performance, carbon dioxide emissions reductions, and other key performance indicators.

image 4.jpg