Steering Shaft Boot

I popped the hood on the 85 Superliner yesterday and the dust cover boot that keeps the grease in and dirt out on the lower half of the steering shaft is torn up.  I wiped the boot off enough to get some electrical tape around it and so I could run it today.  Meanwhile I called Mack they had to make "phone calls" to the HQs to get advice since the boot is NLA.  After several hours of waiting for my call back a gentleman called and said they had a boot that might fit but they were not sure and it was a 2 day out order and $50 and they had no idea if it would work.

This is the part number off the quote  25160249, I dont think it is a Mack number as the guy stated something about spicer.

The picture was from last spring but you can see the accordion boot on the lower half of the steering shaft.

Any help would be appreciated. 

20160316_184923 (2).jpeg

IMG_0723.jpg

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

If you can't locate  one, you can try a 4x4 shop for a shock absorber boot for off road by Rancho or a similar company.   Paul

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Spicer was the vendor of your steering shaft (Mack vendor code 2104 in the days of the former Mack Trucks and its superior parts system).

Your Mack dealer should be easily able to view your steering shaft assembly's breakdown and see the 2104- number for the boot, and then supercede it to the latest number (if it indeed has a part number supercession). From what you're saying, Volvo has superceded it to NLA (No Longer Available).

You could ask your Mack dealer for the original Spicer boot number, and then call Spicer at 1-800-621-8084 and inquire about the difference between that number and the 25160249, i.e. inner diameter at the ends where it mounts, working length expanded and compressed.

I was looking on summit web site but the diameters are odd sized.  The upper is 1.75"/ lower is about the same with over all compressed is about 8", the ones I am finding are like 1.75" on one end and 2.25" on the other.  I guess I can always tighten the crap out of it.

Robert

24 minutes ago, thomastractorsvc said:

I was looking on summit web site but the diameters are odd sized.  The upper is 1.75"/ lower is about the same with over all compressed is about 8", the ones I am finding are like 1.75" on one end and 2.25" on the other.  I guess I can always tighten the crap out of it.

Look at the  4x4 steering shock boots.  Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I found a boot at the parts store cost about $7.  I installed it today and it is okay, but I had to remove a ring spacer on the upper shaft . It took about 15 minutes to replace.  I ch a need out the grade 8 bolt that was on the upper steering joint.  When I disassembled the shafts, I noticed it was stretched. It was a grade 8 3/8" fine bolt.

• Like 1

Robert

It was for a Hyundai Santa Fe.

The part was made in the USA. Have to keep an eye on it. The only thing I didn't like about it is on one end it has two horizontal sits that help to pull it on. When I sinched it down, it puckered two small holes less than an 16th of an inch.  I don't run the front under water so I am sure it will be fine.

20161013_155227.jpg

• Like 1

Robert

• 2 weeks later...