Wilbur75

EGR and DPF deletes - Has anyone had one done?

Have a 2009 mp8 485 need to get delete done just wondered if anyone has had it done and does it work.

I'm a dealer for diesel spec and do them all the time.  What kind of questions do you have? 

I have a 2011 cxu613 with the 455 hp mp8. What would I be paying to delete the dpf (I assume I install a pipe where the filter was) Turn off the DEF, and turn off the Egr valve? can DOT figure it out and shut me down? can the truck be returned back to its factory tune, or be switched back and forth using a personal PC? 

Cost depends on what you get. For a full delete you probly won't find it for less than $3000. The best way to do it is to install block off plates inline with the egr pipe. Your dpf and doc will be removed and cored out then re-installed. Def tank is drained and flushed then tuning is installed. You will not have any warning  lamps or indications on the dash that the system is not functional. No the tuning is not able to be turned on or off with a personal computer. That is the best way to keep DOT off your back. 

So what happens when the dealer plugs in to the computer, like they do around here when they do an annual safety? Can your deletes be detected?

My dealers plug in to see if an engine has been tampered with, and if so, you cannot get your annual.

Where are you located? If your in the US and a dealer is holding back an annual inspection based on engine data then it sounds like they are fishing for repair work.

Anybody that plugs into your truck would see no malfunction indicators. (i.e. check engine light). If you were to read live data a good tech would pick up on the  values for Nox sensors as being below what they should.  So to answer your question, yes if a tech is looking for it they will find it. Most ,including DOT's, don't go past checking for fault codes.  

What about the variable geometry turbo (VGT), can you put a regular one in its place?

7 hours ago, 1965 said:

What about the variable geometry turbo (VGT), can you put a regular one in its place?

I doubt that ! that would throw up a huge red flag! Discrete is the way to go! VGT Is really not that big an issue as all the other junk ,Actually VgT has some benefits to the engine brake and so on! as for the dpf  delete and it not being noticeable you don't have to have a trained eye to see a black stack!( Codes Or No codes ) Don't kid your self These engines smoke the soot is trapped and removed Remove the dpf and you will see the smoke! REMEMBER your removing it for OFF Road use!

Edited by fjh

I'm in Canada and they passed this new regulation.......dealers are to check for tampering and deletes during an annual inspection. if it has been tampered with, no annual until it's fixed.

I know a couple guys that had to put theirs back to stock.

I wanted to delete mine but my dealer strongly urged me against doing that.

True or not, it's just too big a gamble for me to want to do it.

• Like 1

For annual inspections in Ontario it's not quite being checked to any extreme but if a shop sees that the exhaust after treatment system has been tampered with they can withold signing a safety but most won't even take it in the shop.  currently the Ontario gov is writing legislation to include inspecting the federally regulated exhaust after system with the annual inspection. Tampering or removing a factory emission system is enough to have the plates pulled on a road side DOT inspection which is also enough to fail an annual. it's not detailed  section of the annual yet  but as a licensed truck mechanic in Ontario I've  been warned it's coming. Canada has already rewritten the glider kit rules to stop new trucks (gliders) from being equipped with older emission engines. Mr Diesel spec....fill your boots while you can. Lots of dealers are refusing to work on deleted trucks. while I agree with the delete and it's benefits, I fell bad for the customers that will have to switch back in the coming years in Ontario.

Edited by bbigrig

On 11/24/2016 at 10:55 PM, fjh said:

I doubt that ! that would throw up a huge red flag! Discrete is the way to go! VGT Is really not that big an issue as all the other junk ,Actually VgT has some benefits to the engine brake and so on! as for the dpf  delete and it not being noticeable you don't have to have a trained eye to see a black stack!( Codes Or No codes ) Don't kid your self These engines smoke the soot is trapped and removed Remove the dpf and you will see the smoke! REMEMBER your removing it for OFF Road use!

Removing the VGT would render any factory MP or D series engine brake almost useless.  it's integral to its operation.

A friend of mine had a Diesel Spec dealer do the delete and 750 h.p. program on his ISX powered T800 float tractor. That's what they did.....had to put a non-vgt turbo on it to compensate for the programming. Now his engine brake sucks just as bbigrig has said.

When VGt First came out on the AC engine except for the FACT the turbos kept blowing up the performance was awesome  They had the wheel speed programed at 32 to 35 thousand and the the engine had 10 psi boost at idle! So when you added fuel to the mix You had instant Clean power! However They were unable to keep turbos on for a week with out them scattering ! Somthing had to give they reduced the the wheel speed at idle to 22 thousand and almost 0 -2 boost at idle the turbos lived alot longer however then suffered from lag some what. In some ways I wish the VGT Was offered earlier PRE EGR would have been an interesting  combo with a none egr engine Nice fast spool up and a decent clean  burn and no wasted fuel !

4 hours ago, fjh said:

When VGt First came out on the AC engine except for the FACT the turbos kept blowing up the performance was awesome  They had the wheel speed programed at 32 to 35 thousand and the the engine had 10 psi boost at idle! So when you added fuel to the mix You had instant Clean power! However They were unable to keep turbos on for a week with out them scattering ! Somthing had to give they reduced the the wheel speed at idle to 22 thousand and almost 0 -2 boost at idle the turbos lived alot longer however then suffered from lag some what. In some ways I wish the VGT Was offered earlier PRE EGR would have been an interesting  combo with a none egr engine Nice fast spool up and a decent clean  burn and no wasted fuel !

I remember some "product improvement campaign " where we had to replace the turbo exhaust housing bolts and run safety wire through them to try to keep them together on the first AC engines. Then finally the new turbo came out and it along with a new engine data file solved the issue. I think we still had one of those original turbos new in the box some where 

I did it and it was a nightmare to have done (it took 3 weeks to get it right), but it's been a year since and I love it. I don't go into Canada or California, so no one really cares.

I love the idea of a delete, especially since I had more emission issues this week. But I have confirmed my dealer plugs in as part of the annual safety and does a full systems scan.

A big local company that has construction, logging and highway trucks just bought a bunch of tractors from in the States that were deleted. They have already been caught. now they have a bunch of off road trucks they didn't need and can only use in the mill now.

• Like 1

Keep in mind if the truck (modified programming) ever enters a dealership to advise them not to update any modules from Mack

i did all mp8's from my fleet.

let me copy paste the instructions what needs to be done:

Drill 5inch hole through center of DPF-DOC.
You can use a hole saw for doing that.
Unplug DPF harness, and cut pins inside the connector (so if the customer plugs it back in, it doesn't make circuit).
Block off EGR on both sides with steel plates.
Unplug EGR diff.pressure and EGR temp.sensors, and bend the pins inside the connector (so if the customer plugs it back in, it doesn't make circuit but still you can bend it back in case of a need).
Leave the EGR valve it self plugged in (IMPORTANT).
If the truck has SCR, You have to drill SCR too (5inch hole through it), and You need to unplug the UREA pump.

I called the guys who do my tunes, and they can't do the VGT delete on Mack and Volvo engines.
I never had any issues with my turbos on MP8s, so why would you delete them??
They do VGT deletes on Cummins, Detroit Diesel and Cat. That is what they said.
You can check their website and see what they can or can't do: http://truckecmtunes.com/truck-dpf-egr-vgt-removal.html

I have a 2011 cxu613  mp8 adv 420hp, if I delete it and tune it, what can I realistically expect from it?